Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T-Sport To A T/sr180 ?

Seal_P

Would anyone consider moving from a T-Sport to a Diesel ?

Got a 2005 T-Sport (51k) and have seen several T180's and SR180's from 2008.

How much would I miss 'Lift' in the petrol engine compared to the plus

of the torque on the motorway for the 2.2D SR180 ?

it depends how much you like the 'drive' of the petrol car. thats not necesarily missing lift but the general feel of the car. i've driven diesel cars for a while now and personally i know i would never go back to a petrol unless its an m3/m5. the lazy drive of a diesel suits me perfectly. by that i mean changing up at 2000rpm, going up hills in 4th and not having to change down a gear, the effortless unplanned stupid overtaking you can do lol.

i have not driven one but i have no doubt the 180bhp will pull like an absolute train. im not sure which model you want but i would advise against the auris. personally and frankly i think its a sh*t car its like sitting in a tin - no weight or substance to it at all. i thought toyota had turned a new leaf with my e12 corolla - heavy car, feels substantial to drive. yet when i got an auris as a replacement hire vehicle was very disappointed. in the avensis its a very good engine from what i know.

and lastly the torque of the diesel would not be felt just on the motorway. even around town the ferocious pulling power means you can overtake much more powerful petrol cars simply due to the torque you have. hills are no longer a problem and obviously fuel consumption is better but that depends on how many miles you do per year to get the benefit out of.

Cheers.

In my 30s now and have become quite a lazy driver and being honest to myself, the diesel style of driving would suit me better.

Only do 7k per year and can get high 30s mpg out of the 189hp 1.8 petrol and do love the extra

power when the cam kicks in, but keeping the car constantly above 6,200 rpm for the 'fun'

is too much effort.

also in this era of 120p / litre my left eye is always looking at the trip computer (saddo)

Will mull it over this winter but would have to go for an Auris or maybe Lexus 220D (overpriced) as would

prefer a newish car.

woah woah stop there! don't get me wrong i love my !Removed! but lexus is a sh*t car company which should be shut down immediately. they ruin the reputation of toyota by churning out crap car after crap car. definately go with the auris over the lexus. and if you're leaving t-sport for diesel then welcome to the dark side hehe :P

i dont think t180s are that good on juice to be honest i was only gettin 40 mpg in one! best to ask them in auris section thou might of been my driving but they do pull like a train

I was looking at these a while back, I think I prefer the SR-180 styling as they all come with the spoiler. If you shop around you can find T180's with a spoiler but they are pretty hard to find. They were just a little out of my price range, like an extra 4-5k.

Not suprised it pulls like a train, it has over 400 torques and no matter how much you weigh it down you will be able to maintain that speed. Thats the problem I find with the T sport, if I have a full car you can hardly feel the lift. Plus as you say, for fast overtakes I tend to downshift (4k ish) to get the car in the power band, where the Auris has it from 2k - 3k.

Plus i'd imagine its pretty quiet on the motorway, unlike our little monsters. :thumbsup:

Cheers for your thoughts guys. plenty to think about.

Checking the stats, I think I;d miss the quicker 0-60 of the T-Sport and can't believe that the

Auris SR180 is almost 300kg heavier. Stone the crows but that's got to make

a difference to the handling.

Maybe a test drive some time.

But one option I don't want is blinkin auto rain sensing wipers. Hate them with avengeance !

Give me manually adjustable intermittent anytime, please Mr T !

One thing to consider is that the SR180 can be chipped to over 200 bhp and has nearly 400 pounds of torque so 40 mpg isn't bad considering.

Or look at a Corolla SR 2.0D and get a tuning box from kingo... it will take the car to over 140bhp and about the same torque as the SR180 and alot cheaper to run! And you will get better then 40mpg

One thing to consider is that the SR180 can be chipped to over 200 bhp and has nearly 400 pounds of torque so 40 mpg isn't bad considering.

How does the chipping impact on the insurance ?

But one option I don't want is blinkin auto rain sensing wipers. Hate them with avengeance !

Give me manually adjustable intermittent anytime, please Mr T !

So just turn them off..... :lol: ;)

I've heard the gearbox in the Corolla SR has issues.... or that could've just been Miles (Rolla_SR) who didn't know how to change gears :P

Imo the Auris is a good looking car I would defo have one. However all i will say is that there is no joy in diesel. The only diesel I have to drive is the works van :P Having said that the 180 diesel motor is a really strong puller. My dad has a Rav4 sr180 and that is a superb drive.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links