Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rough Idle When Hot

Frank_Lynn

Hello,

I recently purchased a 1996 Toyota Carina E. She’s a 1.8l automatic. On shorter trips she drives really well, but after about 20 – 30 mins problems set in.

It is most noticeable when I stop at a traffic light. While idling, from time to time the revs will go down and the engine starts juddering as if it is going to stall (she has never stalled though). Sometimes while driving there is a juddering and a lack of power. It feels a bit like the engine is being starved of fuel.

I have changed the spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter and engine oil. Could this be a fuel injector problem or a sign that the cambelt is going? I’d really appreciate any feedback or information.

Many thanks

I guess that you put the correct spark plugs with the right gap. If you done that it is not the sparkplugs that is wrong.

How exactly has it a rough idling when hot? Does it feel like it is not working on all cylinders? It might be an injector that is not any good anymore. When you have the symptoms with rough idling disconnect one injector to see if the idling will be worse or no change at all. If there is no change with one injector disconnected it is most truely that injector that is faulty. You can also meassure the resistance in the injectors (13.4-14.2 ohms), do it when the symptoms are there. The leanburn engines are known for having problem with injectors, mostly it is cylinder 3.

Check out the engine coolant temp senspor and it connections - if faulty the ECU will think the engine is always cold and therefore it may be over-fueling when warmed up.:)