Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Front Light Condensation

Ardeshir

My front light (Left)has shown signs of condensation. I tried to run the headlamps on or leave it exposed to sun for a few hours. The water goes away from the front of the headbeam but comes back again in condensation next day. Toyota repsponse is to replace if at a cost of £208 inclusive. I know that many people have reported this problem before but have not seen a solution. Do I have to replace a perfectly working front light unit because of condensation?

My front light (Left)has shown signs of condensation. I tried to run the headlamps on or leave it exposed to sun for a few hours. The water goes away from the front of the headbeam but comes back again in condensation next day. Toyota repsponse is to replace if at a cost of £208 inclusive. I know that many people have reported this problem before but have not seen a solution. Do I have to replace a perfectly working front light unit because of condensation?

hi i got the same problem after fitting hid conversion kit. i ve just pull off the cover at the back, and leave it like that for a week then when all condensation gone. put it back in place. do not remove the cap just pull it a bit for the hot air to come out.

Getting rid of the condensation is the easy bit. Just remove the rear light holder and let a warm air dryer blast in the general direction for a 5-10 minutes. Stopping the moisture getting back in is the difficult bit. Most headlights have a vent - they ain't airtight. The hot air has to go somehwere. Ensure it is correctly positioned and open. Then check the seal between the glass and the headlight body. A good seal of clear silicon sealant usually helps. Also check the rear cover is well sealed especially around the top edge.

A mate of mine had a similar problem on a Mitsubishi and after drying out the light he suspended a silicon gel pouch (the type that usually comes with electronic components such as cameras, etc) inside using a fine piece of wire.:)

Thank you for the tips. My new problem is how to get to the light holder. It seems something simple; use a flat screw driver and twist anti clockwise and pull it out. That worked for only one of the screws. The others didn't come out and I feared breaking the screws if I forced them out by using a screw driver and lift them. Any suggestion as how to take them out? would lifting them by a screw driver break them as they are plastic in nature? thanks

Getting rid of the condensation is the easy bit. Just remove the rear light holder and let a warm air dryer blast in the general direction for a 5-10 minutes. Stopping the moisture getting back in is the difficult bit. Most headlights have a vent - they ain't airtight. The hot air has to go somehwere. Ensure it is correctly positioned and open. Then check the seal between the glass and the headlight body. A good seal of clear silicon sealant usually helps. Also check the rear cover is well sealed especially around the top edge.

A mate of mine had a similar problem on a Mitsubishi and after drying out the light he suspended a silicon gel pouch (the type that usually comes with electronic components such as cameras, etc) inside using a fine piece of wire.:)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links