Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Urgent - Remote Fuel Filler Cap Won't Open (Eek!)

CLAW6317

Hi guys,

I cannot get my fuel cap cover to open using the switch by the drivers seat.

I just got the car so may have done something wrong and locked the cover (if this is possible).

I got the car recdently and filled it with petrol twice since purchase with no problems (the petrol cap cover did only open a little shyly rather than popping open with an urgent spring I noticed).

I Went to fill it this morning and the flap will not open.

One thing I did this morning, that may or may not have made a difference, is that when I pulled into the garage to fill up I carelessly switched off the engine while it was still in Drive (it is an automatic) so I had to turn the key to switch it into Park. When I went to open the fuel cap cover no joy!

Can anyone suggest what I did wrong or if there is a way to bypass the switch manually so I can get some petrol into my almost empty car. Its a 2000 Avensis VVTi if that helps at all.

This is quite urgent if you could please help.

Cheers.

I think the remote fuel flap release should be connected by cable, and is not connected to the car by anyother way as in electrical or mechanical.

It should be like trying to open the bonnet, by cable.

If your a bit of a hands on person, then with a pair of pliers, as you lift the handle, try and pull the cable with the pliers and see if that helps.

If not, you could try at the source, and go in the boot, remove the trim on the fuel flap side and see if can try and release it that way.

The only other way, is get to a local garage and get someone there to help you.

Hope that helps

Bing

:thumbsup:

I think the remote fuel flap release should be connected by cable, and is not connected to the car by anyother way as in electrical or mechanical.

If your a bit of a hands on person, then with a pair of pliers, as you lift the handle, try and pull the cable with the pliers and see if that helps.

If not, you could try at the source, and go in the boot, remove the trim on the fuel flap side and see if can try and release it that way.

Hope that helps

Bing

Thanks for that, at least it gives me something to try in my lunch hour. I will check out the trim first. Failing that I will try the pliers (I'm not hands on but will certainly try it).

Someone did say that some cars have an emergency button under the carpet in the boot so I will search for this too.

The cover is moving slightly when I pull the lever but it isn't popping open which made me wonder whether I had locked it in some way when I switched off the car while still in drive.

Hope that helps

Bing

Thanks for that, at least it gives me something to try in my lunch hour. I will check out the trim first. Failing that I will try the pliers (I'm not hands on but will certainly try it).

Someone did say that some cars have an emergency button under the carpet in the boot so I will search for this too.

The cover is moving slightly when I pull the lever but it isn't popping open which made me wonder whether I had locked it in some way when I switched off the car while still in drive.

According to my (2007) handbook, inside the boot compartment, open the cover to the hidden cubby hole on the passenger side and there's a cord inside that releases the the fuel filler.

There is an emergency pull in the boot on same side as fuel tank normally has a yellow tag on it to pull, hope this helps.

Hi guys,

I cannot get my fuel cap cover to open using the switch by the drivers seat.

I just got the car so may have done something wrong and locked the cover (if this is possible).

I got the car recdently and filled it with petrol twice since purchase with no problems (the petrol cap cover did only open a little shyly rather than popping open with an urgent spring I noticed).

I Went to fill it this morning and the flap will not open.

One thing I did this morning, that may or may not have made a difference, is that when I pulled into the garage to fill up I carelessly switched off the engine while it was still in Drive (it is an automatic) so I had to turn the key to switch it into Park. When I went to open the fuel cap cover no joy!

Can anyone suggest what I did wrong or if there is a way to bypass the switch manually so I can get some petrol into my almost empty car. Its a 2000 Avensis VVTi if that helps at all.

This is quite urgent if you could please help.

Cheers.

Mine (a 2002) did something similar a while back, all it needed was a little pull on the flap as the release was pulled. Just gave the pin a bit of a lube when it was open and it has been fine since.

As QS said, try and pull out the flap as you pull on the lever inside the car, it will really take two people. There is a little flat spring that pushes the flap out sufficiently to clear the latch. If its not just a matter of lubrication, check that this spring isn't broken. I have come across them broken before, rarely, but it has happened.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links