Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav 4 2.2 D-Cat 177Hp

gus100

Hello,

I am considering buying a 2007 Rav4 2.2 d-cat 177hp having 50.000Km.

This morning I discussed with a Toyota dealer and he told me that I should NOT buy this car if I drive only for short distances because this will damage the catalytic converter and the engine.

I drive each day 15km to my work and 15Km back home.

Can anybody tell me if the dealer is right or not?

Thanks!

Hello,

This morning I discussed with a Toyota dealer and he told me that I should NOT buy this car if I drive only for short distances because this will damage the catalytic converter and the engine.

Thanks!

hello and welcome.

I guess the same argument must apply to any diesel engined vehicle travelling that distance. I wonder what the drivers do in Japan as they don't drive long distance either!!

Personally I would say that was nonsense.

thank you for your answer.

the question is if it is a good idea to buy that car or not?

I have seen on this site that this type of engine (2.2 d-cat) has some problems (turbo, sensors, valves, etc).

I wonder if these are only singular cases or this is an engine with a bad design.

So, can anybody advise me on buying or not that car?

Hello,

Thanks!

hello and welcome.

I guess the same argument must apply to any diesel engined vehicle travelling that distance. I wonder what the drivers do in Japan as they don't drive long distance either!!

Personally I would say that was nonsense.

I have answered your pm.

I would say as long as you use good quality HIGH GRADE fuel the car will be absolutely fine.

Hello,

Thanks!

Your dealer is likely to be referring to the fact that the car has DPF.

If that is the case then his opinion is valid and if you generally only do short distances in a car with DPF, the advice would be dont bother.

Diesel is not the issue here except for economical reasons, the issue here is with the DPF which is prone to blockage and unable to regenerate if short distant driving is all it has.

These DPF problems are well documented.

Out of interest, does that mean that the (bog standard, not D-CAT) 2.2 D4D 140 does NOT have a DPF?

I did my obligatory 5 minute googlin' but couldn't quite find it... Did find that the BMW X3 I was lusting after for a while does, making it useless to me as my daily commute is <5 miles in town.

If my 07 XTR 2.2 does have a DPF, than either I am in for an expensive repair soon :( / or the car with a DPF is fine for loads of short runs.

I don't know, don't we teach you anything on this forum? :unsure::lol:

DPF = Diesel Particulate Filter (I was trying to think of a rude acronym, but failed miserably).

No, my understanding is the UK 140 (130?) D4D does not have a DPF. (The additional injector in the exhaust stuff goes with it - no thanks not for me!).

I believe it can be fitted to 140 D4Ds in some markets. The T180 has is by default.

I'm sure somebody from coldest Derbyshire will be along to correct me, if I am at all wrong!

Cheers :thumbsup:

No worries. I believe it stands for: "Diesel Particulate Filter". There are issues with "re-gen cycles" and short trips where the engine doesn't warm up properly. I'll try to dig up some links for you...

DOH. Too late again :)

Thanks shcm. :thumbsup: That is good news, I think. :)

Although I have now started revising my policy of: "I only do 6000 miles per year = no point doing an intermediary service / oil change every 6 months." in light of your (and AM's) recent posts + this short-trip issue.

DPF = Diesel Particulate Filter (I was trying to think of a rude acronym, but failed miserably).

No, my understanding is the UK 140 (130?) D4D does not have a DPF. (The additional injector in the exhaust stuff goes with it - no thanks not for me!).

I believe it can be fitted to 140 D4Ds in some markets. The T180 has is by default.

I'm sure somebody from coldest Derbyshire will be along to correct me, if I am at all wrong!

All correct buddy :thumbsup:

Do you know i drove Ravs for 10yrs before i came on here in total bliss, knowing i had the most reliable car in the world + nothing ever ever went wrong :yes: now you've filled my head with ABS,ECU,DMF.EMU,EGR,OBD,EBD,RFT,HAC,....ETC + now you give me DPF to worry about, but turns out i haven't got it anyway, to add to this the forums changed its color + format again, my head can't cope :wacko: Stew

Do you know i drove Ravs for 10yrs before i came on here in total bliss, knowing i had the most reliable car in the world + nothing ever ever went wrong :yes: now you've filled my head with ABS,ECU,DMF.EMU,EGR,OBD,EBD,RFT,HAC,....ETC + now you give me DPF to worry about, but turns out i haven't got it anyway, to add to this the forums changed its color + format again, my head can't cope :wacko: Stew

:) Welcome to the 21st century!

DPF problem associated with short distance driving is actually common, and its not something that your dealer will necessarily tell you about during the sales process, which is a crime in my opinion.

The OP's experience with the dealer is actually a positive thing.

[now you've filled my head with ABS,ECU,DMF.EMU,EGR,OBD,EBD,RFT,HAC,....ETC + now you give me DPF to worry about, but turns out i haven't got it anyway, to add to this the forums changed its color + format again, my head can't cope :wacko: Stew

You forgot to add FFS and PMSL to that list Stew :lol:

Kingo :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I have a 56 plate avensis t180 with 92000 miles on. I'm having problems with power above 2500 rpm to the point where a fiesta can pull away from me. Just had egr valve replaced at a £300 cost. I have had the head gasket replaced twice under extended warranty. The second time it went the gasket, head, pistons, injectors and some other stuff were replaced. Never used to have a lack of power above 2500 rpm before. Can anyone help thanks

Stew - Wot's an ETC? :blink:

Electronic Traction Control :unsure:

Elastic Tow Cord :eek:

Extremely Tenuous Cipher :no:

It just might be one of his professional acronyms "Extral Terestrial Customer" ( someone "not quite with us" perhaps? He must get a lot of them in Manchester when the pubs turn out. ) :unsure:

It just might be one of his professional acronyms "Extral Terestrial Customer" ( someone "not quite with us" perhaps? He must get a lot of them in Manchester when the pubs turn out. ) :unsure:

Sorry - Extra Terrestrial Customer!

Exactly when did it start this problem - after the head gasket was done?