Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fit 3 Adults Plust 2 Baby Seats In New Avensis

eustachio

I've been trawling the web trying to find an answer to this, and ultimately will test it out at a car dealers, but just wondered what anyone here thinks. We have a 2 yr old and are expecting a new baby. Fitting 2 car seats will be fine, but we will need to be able to carry my wife's mother occasionally, she comes to visit a few times a year. On those occasions, we tend to go on long trips together.

Would we fit 2 baby seats plus an adult in the back? One of our child seats doesn't need isofix points, so it might fit on the middle seat.

Also, would folk here recommend the saloon or the tourer? We were originally looking at the tourer, but I've since realised the boot in the saloon is bigger. Obviously the estate gives more flexibility regarding access, but it comes at a slight price premium. Originally I preferred the looks of the tourer, but I'm starting to favour the saloon. I think both designs are great, I'd happily have either.

Thanks to anyone who has any ideas or suggestions!

Frankly I don't see a problem.

Driver behind steering wheel

Wife next to driver

Kids in back

Ma-in-law in boot

Simples! :yahoo:

Being sensible about it, the configuration you mention would work fine, there's plenty of room in the back of an Avensis for 2 car seats and an adult. I can do it in my Prius and from what I can remember of my old Avensis there is at least the same amount of room in the back! So go for it, you know it makes sense....

Eustachio....sorry about jan&tone's reply....obviously wife's mammy can't go in the boot, as you need that room for all the kids' paraffin naylia (?). Contact Parts King on here and he will surely discount you a Roof Rack, then nick down the coast to Bray and pick up one of those stripey wind-breaker things for her to hold whilst travelling....sorted. Driving around Dublin, nobody would give you a second glance !!!! :lol:

Personally....hatchback would be my choice....look out for a 2.2 diesel (not the 180....she would blow off the Roofrack.)

Big Kev. :thumbsup:

Big Kev

Hey now, that's wicked! you can't put ma-in-law on the roof, she'll get wet!!

On second thoughts.......

:rolleyes:

Ha, I should have know mentioning the mother-in-law would ensure some humour. A novel solution that's just occurred to me is that when MIL is visiting that I just go on holiday for a few weeks, problem sorted. :)

But seriously, @jan&tone, can you fit the 2 kiddie seats adjacent to each other in the Prius, leaving a free outer seat, or is the adult in between the two seats?

@Big Kev I'm looking at the new model Avensis, so it doesn't have the hatchback option. The estate costs roughly a grand more than the saloon too.

Thanks

Ha, I should have know mentioning the mother-in-law would ensure some humour. A novel solution that's just occurred to me is that when MIL is visiting that I just go on holiday for a few weeks, problem sorted. :)

But seriously, @jan&tone, can you fit the 2 kiddie seats adjacent to each other in the Prius, leaving a free outer seat, or is the adult in between the two seats?

@Big Kev I'm looking at the new model Avensis, so it doesn't have the hatchback option. The estate costs roughly a grand more than the saloon too.

Thanks

We try for humour where possible, there is usually a grain of truth in it too! many years ago i had a cortina estate and my Mum did actually travel in the boot for a couple of miles! very unsafe and we never did it again, but at the time it was the best way of moving a fridge - in those days the back seats were not split!

Back to more mundane matters, yes we put the armrest on the back seat up and the isofix child seat went behind me, the seatbelt fix went in the middle and the adult sat behind the front passenger...

It's a shame that Mr T has withdrawn the hatch Avensis in the UK, it's apparently still available on the continent but LHD only I expect :(

We have an 2009 Avensis Tourer Diesel 2.0 TR and I would think there is plenty of space in the back for 2 child seats plus one in the middle.

There is also plenty of rear leg room.

As we all know mother in laws come in various models :rolleyes: Little, medium, large and XXXL,and you do not say which model you have inherited, if she is of the Large or XXXL models just tell her she has to loose a bit of weight or she will have to stay at home!.

Good Luck

Mike :thumbsup:

2 child seats fitted on isofix fixings with a space in the middle for a small MIL is ok, but will be difficult for MIL to get past child seats to centre of seat.

... it's apparently still available on the continent but LHD only I expect :(

No, the T27 is not available as hatchback on the continent.

... it's apparently still available on the continent but LHD only I expect :(

No, the T27 is not available as hatchback on the continent.

I stand corrected, thanks for the info...

Have you considered a trailer for mum in law ? I have the tourer and its quiet wide in the rear seat area i am sure you would get all of them in it with no problems, and still have lots of space in the boot area for other gear.

2 child seats fitted on isofix fixings with a space in the middle for a small MIL is ok, but will be difficult for MIL to get past child seats to centre of seat.

That's why I want to put the 2 child seats side by side, with one of them on the middle seat, so her ladyship can sit on the outer seat.

But I like all the suggestions of trailers and roof-racks :)

Anyone here with kids who drives the saloon version? Is the boot ok for access to all the kiddie paraphernalia?

Wife next to driver

Kids in back

Ma-in-law in boot

Being sensible about it, the configuration you mention would work fine, there's plenty of room in the back of an Avensis for 2 car seats and an adult. I can do it in my Prius and from what I can remember of my old Avensis there is at least the same amount of room in the back! So go for it, you know it makes sense....

what a terrible suggestion,to put mother in-law in a boot,what ever are you thinking of.

far better to put wife in it,stops them nattering,that does your head in.

Wife next to driver

Kids in back

Ma-in-law in boot

what a terrible suggestion,to put mother in-law in a boot,what ever are you thinking of.

You haven't met my ma-in-law :help:

Wife next to driver

Kids in back

Ma-in-law in boot

You haven't met my ma-in-law :help:

play safe stuff them both in boot,

• 4 months later...

Has anyone managed to fit 3 kid seats across the back of the new avensis tourer?

Looking at the stats and figures it should be wide enough, but looking at them they seem to narrow inside??

Regards

Rob

B)

come on guys, be serious. Missus in the front driving, MIL in passenger seat, kids in back with loads of baggage in boot and on back seat. You, risking life and limb for your families safety and comfort howling along on a 2011 Suzuki GSXR1000. Perfect!

The MIL can stay at home... Im more interested in being able to get 3 kids in kid seats across the back seat..

Go and try it in the dealership. If they don't do it, no one will. Lets face it, they are the ones that should know about this stuff and should try to sell you the car. If the car doesn't cove your requirements you will not buy it.