Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prius - Fuel Consumption

lawmail

I have a new Prius T Spirit with 850 miles on the clock now. My average fuel consumption (virtually always in Eco-Mode) is now 51 mpg. I'm using super unleaded fuel and no Air Conditioning. Does anyone get anywhere near the brochure figure of 72 mpg?

Welcome to TOC.

Why always in Eco mode? my t-spirit has around 800 miles and already over 61mpg - highest so far 61.8 and not tried eco mode yet!

Bear in mind too that during the winter you may not get anywhere near 72, the cold weather knocks the Battery, but I used to get 58-62 out of my gen2.

I suspect that if you are new to hybrids then it may well be they way you are driving it... you will find that as you get used to it the consumption will decrease...

I have a new Prius T Spirit with 850 miles on the clock now. My average fuel consumption (virtually always in Eco-Mode) is now 51 mpg. I'm using super unleaded fuel and no Air Conditioning. Does anyone get anywhere near the brochure figure of 72 mpg?

Don't waste your money on super unleaded would be my first tip !

I expect your mpg will improve as the car runs in and as you adapt to driving a hybrid. I am sure others will confirm.

Does anyone get anywhere near the brochure figure of 72 mpg?

On the Fuelly website, the mode of the distribution for 2010 Priuses is at 56 mpg and the spread suggests very few manage the "brochure figure" (i.e. official government test data) (you can follow this link and set the units to UK in the top left corner). Note that Fuelly figures are calculated using the tank-to-tank method: the car's own estimate is usually optimistic by 5-10%.

There are many variables that affect fuel economy, and while 51 mpg is towards the lower end of the spread it's not unreasonable for a new car IMO. Actually 51 mpg is my average over the first year, but I do a lot of relatively short journeys. If you want any tips try searching though previous threads or let us know what kind of driving you do and you may get some further advice.

I guess it depends on your use of the vehicle. Are most of your journeys small? Do you have a heavy right foot?

I'd personally recommend you double check the tyre pressures as they need to be 36front and 35 rear. If they are much lower than this then they cause more drag and reduce mpgs. I'd also maybe avoid using eco anywhere other than in town or on short journeys.

I am rather surprised by your mpg so far, but remember, the car can take a few thousand miles to bed in nicely and get the best mpgs. But yes the brochure figures of 72 mpg can be achieved, though obviously not in every circumstance. I can guarantee getting 70-75 mpg on a 50 mile round trip between Harrogate and York including driving right into the city centre and back with a/c - just so long as I keep at 50-55 mph. This particular route is on the flat, whereas hills do kill your mpg's.

Click on my fuelly link below which will give you almost 12 months of my mpg's. Some months I average 48 mpg, others 52 mpg. Remember though that I am a taxi driver and most of my time is in town and heavy traffic. Those who travel A roads regularly will have significantly better mpg's than me.

To conclude - don't worry about your low mpg's at this stage. Just get used to the Prius and enjoy its smooth ride. :thumbsup:

I was suprised at my fuel consuption at first but now with 3K on the clock I am getting over 60MPG easily (on the computer). My last fill up was 59MPG by fuely.

I suspect by next summer when the temp rises mid 60's MPG will be the norm.

Just enjoy the car!

Its all down to the types of journeys you do

Short 1 or 2 mile commutes, lots of traffic = poor MPG

Longer commutes, lots of A roads etc = Very good MPG

If it is a brand new car follow GC's suggestion and check your tyre pressures.

My Prius was 30psi all round on delivery which kills the mpg (and probably the tyre too).

For the Prius, you should have at least the recommended pressure (see label inside drivers door).

Many owners have found higher pressures give more mpg but a bumpier ride.

I run mine at 38psi all round and am getting 60mpg easily.

Also, don't use super unleaded. The Prius doesn't need it.

Your mpg will improve as things bed down and you and the car get used to each other.

Welcome and enjoy. :thumbsup:

Did anyone see 'Watchdog' last night? Mercedes Smart cdi owners have been complaining they get nowhere near the claimed 85.6 mpg, some in fact average little over 50 mpg!

That's less than most Prius owners will get, and from a car that you can only carry one passenger in, has a boot just big enough for a couple of bags of shopping, has a top speed of 84mph and 0-60 in 17 secs (imagine what it's like to drive on the motorway!), consumes fuel that's 18p per gallon dearer, and, in London, isn't even congestion charge free.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2010/10/smart_cars.html

Did anyone see 'Watchdog' last night? Mercedes Smart cdi owners have been complaining they get nowhere near the claimed 85.6 mpg, some in fact average little over 50 mpg!

That's less than most Prius owners will get, and from a car that you can only carry one passenger in, has a boot just big enough for a couple of bags of shopping, has a top speed of 84mph and 0-60 in 17 secs (imagine what it's like to drive on the motorway!), consumes fuel that's 18p per gallon dearer, and, in London, isn't even congestion charge free.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2010/10/smart_cars.html

:thumbsup: serves them right for being snobbish and buying a merc on the cheap... Hee hee

It's all down to how you drive it, learn the pulse and glide technique. you can go fast and be economical. I don't switch off climate control, got two amplifier on full blast :-), and drive on. Still get consistently high 60's and in bad traffic (which makes me slow down) low 70's consumption on our prius. Only done 1200'ish miles, no special fuel, not switching off functionions, just using it...

But yes my wife hardly manages anything above 55 mpg. Once you get a feel for the technique it really works. I've applied the same technique in my Audi 3.0 Quattro V6 Petrol convertible and I am getting mid to high thirties there now.

It's all down to how you drive it,

Not completely true.

Sure, its down to how you drive it to a certain extent, but, alot of it has to do with the types of journeys you are doing (as i said earlier in the thread)

And then when you do such a journey it depends on how you drive on it thumbsup.gif This can go round and round and round...Ultimately with the same vehicle, the same road, the difference is the person driving it. No argument really.

And then when you do such a journey it depends on how you drive on it thumbsup.gif This can go round and round and round...Ultimately with the same vehicle, the same road, the difference is the person driving it. No argument really.

I've never said that isnt true - Im just pointing out, im relation to the topic of this thread, that poor fuel comsumption can have an awful lot to do with the type of journey. Its not totally down to how you drive the car that can cause poor MPG figures.

THe OP maybe driving the car economically, but, it might be the type of journey they are doing thats causing the poor figures :thumbsup:

It's all down to how you drive it,

Not completely true.

Sure, its down to how you drive it to a certain extent, but, alot of it has to do with the types of journeys you are doing (as i said earlier in the thread)

And, of course, don't forget the ambient temperature! You'll get noticeably poorer consumption as the temperature drops! (all down to needing to run the engine to heat the car in cold weather!)

Tyre pressures are absolutley critical on a Gen 3 Prius. I did an experiment last night on my run up to Inverness from home for work. 400 mile trip.

Late at night so the cruise control could be used and last week running a pressure of 38f - 34r (Any higher I find to harsh and crashy ride wise) and I averaged 59mph and got 51.9MPG

Last night I used the reccomended pressure from the handbook, same normal Shell fuel, same route, same average speed - 45.8 mpg

I was pretty shocked by that, not the most scientific of tests, and lot's of other factors could come under consideration, but that was lower MPG than my wifes 1.4 180BHP VAG TSi engined car averaged on a recent motorway cruise, at a similar speed.

eeeek :) I had never dropped below 50mpg before, even with my "standard" driving style and leaden right foot.

Good point actually. My former BMW 750i was very sensitive to tyre pressures, not just mpg but also handling.

Bear in mind that it is approaching the time of year when hybrids fuel consumption diminishes to more normal levels instead of the heady heights that we are used to....

You can always put a jumper on and keep the heating down. Bit like at home :-)

It was funny actually, I met the Toyota Operations Director today due to my issues with the sounds system, and the only way I could think of in getting the engine started whilst standing still to demonstrate the problems was to wack up the heater to 25 degrees :-)

At least he immediately noticed my issue with their design but that is for another thread and when I meet their UK technical head. thumbsup.gif

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links