Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wing Mirror Glass Broken

fatboy_daveb

Evening folks

Well about 45 minutes ago I was coming back from Tesco and my driver's side door mirror was hit my a black Vauxhall Vectra as it overtook a bus. I had no chance and he even hit me as I went evasive (nearly hitting the kerb). No witnesses, but he was well over the white line. So I pull over and wait for the guy to spin round. My glass is cracked and is hanging out....the exactly same as his. Out comes the driver and he's well into his 70's. So I'm calm until he says that he was stationary...and is said 'WTF? How can you be stationary overtaking a bus on your on my side of the road'. I had to quickly calm down as he was very old. Anyway, we exchanged details and I took photographs. We then said that we see what the damage is and whether it is worth claiming the insurance. Although I'm willing to bet he will as I will not be paying for his mirror's glass...despite it being a lot cheaper than mine no doubt. Hey-ho, I'll have to wait and see what he does, but I'm miffed as I have not made a claim in 10 years. So much for owning a brilliant white car.

I don't suppose if anybody knows if the Auris HSD door glass is the same as the standard Auris? One for the mainstream Auris forum perhaps.

Stay lucky!

Cheers

Dave

Well good luck with the claim. I regret to say that my experience of wing mirror clipping incidents is that the best you'll get is a 50/50 settlement with both parties partly to blame. He'll say you hit him, you'll say he hit you. You will probably have this claim go against your claims history for the sake of a £100 mirror.

It's annoying, but its modern life. Get it repaired, move on and get over it. Sad, unfortunate, but true.

That's my personal, uneducated opinion so maybe see what others have to say or seek professional advice.

I had my drivers side mirror smashed off by a driver who did not stop. He came round a bend on my side of the road. I put in a claim and got a claim number but I never claimed from the insurance company as it was only a few pounds over the excess. I rang the insurance co. and cancelled the claim and I paid for the mirror myself. However, it seems once you make a claim it does not matter if no money is exchanged that claim goes down on your insurance renewal as a claim. My renewal stated clearly "ONE CLAIM".

It could be difficult getting his insurance to pay for your mirror. He may own up to the incident, if he does you should be OK.

I can understand your annoyance; at least the guy you were involved with stopped.

You're absolutely right Grumpy. Without witnesses...we are both stuffed. And it's not really in my interest to claim my insurance either as I have a £500 excess. It is cheaper for me just to pay for his glass, or even unit, and walk away. I've already spotted some sights that can do painted units for his car at £150. So even with fitting, the total would still be less my excess. Then I would be paying for his damage caused by his driving :eek:

A new Auris door mirror unit would prove to be more expensive which is why I'm happy ( :wacko: ) that it is just my glass that is split. The unit itself just all popped out and then just popped all back in...love the Japanese simplicity.

To make matters worse, I reckon he is retired police as his car is insured through the Police Federation. That's bad as my brother-in-law is a serving traffic cop :lol:

Cheers

Dave

Now you can see why most drivers just carry on going when wing mirrors are clipped - not that I would EVER condone this.

Sorry to hear your news, but on the plus side they say things come in 3's. So here's hoping my smashed winscreen, re-shaped cill and door - combined together make up the 3 bad things that happen to the Auris HSD in general.

Costa, I don't know if they come in 3's but compared with your problems...I feel a lot better :P

Costa, I don't know if they come in 3's but compared with your problems...I feel a lot better :P

Mines goes into the body shop on monday and got a hire car of the insurance for the duration. I am still gutted big time, 33 years driving and I once had a chip repaired on the windscreen. Have the Auris for a month and have two claims :crybaby: thankfully the windscreen does not affect the no claims.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links