Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Starlet Solida 1.3 Running Problem

solidafeeder

Hi Chaps.

Got a really strange problem with with my girlfriends '98, 88,000 mile 1.3 solida.

From cold - Car starts first time every time. after about 30 seconds the idle starts to become irratic, jumping up to around 1500 rpm for extended periods, then dropping down really low. As its doing this if you listen closely, you can hear the idle air control valve opening and closing. This will happen until the car is fully warmed up. After this the car runs perfectly.

From hot - Car starts first time every time, runs and idles fine, maybe a little low.

From warm - i.e When the car has been left switched off for around 30-60 minutes. car is really difficult to start. Usually after short journeys but can happen after any journey, cranking over and over, sometimes eventually starting and running rough for a couple of minutes. sometimes i have to leave it to completely cool down before it will start.

There is no engine management light on, i recently serviced the car (plugs, oil, fuel/air/oil filter)and changed the idle air control valve all to no avail.

Its been suggested to me that it might be a faulty vacuum sensor or engine temprature sensor, if so how could a diagnose this with no management light? will it still throw up a fault code?

So any ideas? This is really starting to get to me! haha

Many Thanks

Ryan. :thumbsup:

tried the o2 sensor in the exhaust. these can screw with a cars idle all to well.

• 1 month later...

more likely to be the coolant temp sensor for the ecu is playing up.

it probably wont throw up a fault code as it works fine until a certain temperature, the diagnostics system on the starlets is also very basic

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links