Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.4D Hiace Thermostat / Temp Gauge Query Help Etc

louislouis

Dear All, sorry if this posted in the wrong place I'm a bit nw to this forum but can someone offer advice, would really appreciate it - my 99 Hiace 2.4D van temperature gauge stopped working, it was gradual over a few weeks, not rising too high to nothing at all. It runs fine and other gauges good so not the fuse. I changed the temperature sensor transmitter for a new one, still the same, gauge not working. I earthed the lead to the sensor briefly to check the wiring and gauge, dial flew to the top so I know the wiring and gauge is okay. Bit perplexed now. I have noticed the heating is a bit crap, never gets really hot, just luke warm - would the next step be to change the thermostat and/or coolant?

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers

louis

Dear All, sorry if this posted in the wrong place I'm a bit nw to this forum but can someone offer advice, would really appreciate it - my 99 Hiace 2.4D van temperature gauge stopped working, it was gradual over a few weeks, not rising too high to nothing at all. It runs fine and other gauges good so not the fuse. I changed the temperature sensor transmitter for a new one, still the same, gauge not working. I earthed the lead to the sensor briefly to check the wiring and gauge, dial flew to the top so I know the wiring and gauge is okay. Bit perplexed now. I have noticed the heating is a bit crap, never gets really hot, just luke warm - would the next step be to change the thermostat and/or coolant?

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers

louis

hi louis.

as you proved the gauge works and have fitted a new sender,then its more than likly its the engine thermostsat.

these are designed to fail safe and they do MOST OF THE TIME and the stat stays fully open.if your coolant is up to strengh,that is you havent topped up with just water and is correct type,longlife.then you can reuse it after draining to fit new stat.dont know your vehicle,bu tmake sure you fit the correct one for your engine.

good luck.lets us know if the new stat sorts the problem.it needs to done soon, winters coming.

ps great area you live in.

Check the coolant level, may be low, or even a leak. If coolant level is ok, try leaving the van running stationary and keep an eye on the temperature. It should come up to normal operating temperature eventually and the heater should be ok too. If it does, it's probably the thermostat.

• 10 years later...

Hi. I'm  an elderly lady and have a 1987 Hiace Diesel 2.4 van.I've just had a head gasket and radiator replaced. Mechanic found that the temperature gauge wasn't working so put one in attached to the dash. It goes in degrees up to 120°. He said that it's running at 95 to 100° which was normal for the setting of the thermostat. I'm a bit worried as I don't want to risk overheating it again. Can someone reassure me

Cheers

Pauline