Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wrong Fuel!

baz1631

Well ive gone and done it! put petrol (about 20 Ltr.)in DEISEL the tank yesterday :censor: .thought fuel pump was deisel, :eek: There was about15-20 ltr deisel in it at the time, anyway,drove off,ran ok for about 10mls then started losing power. . there were NO warning lights on the dash, couldnt even see the obvious white smoke cause it was pitch black,just losing power .At least I managed to get my mate to give me a tow home!.(I owe him a lot of beers now! ,(hes a big drinker!).Can anyone tell me if ive damaged the engine or anything else ,and if I drain the tank of fuel and clean-up the filter will it be enough be enough? thanks again for your wisdom in advance.

should be ok. drain the tank and change the fuel filter and run it gentle for a few miles till it clears out.

Baz, there's been quite a few posts on here where people have done the same with a RAV and most (if not all) seem to have got away with it. :thumbsup:

Recently one of our local Morrisons, managed to swap diesel and petrol over!!!!!

Mind you, chating about it, what are probably the usual journo inaccuracies, didn't add up for us here.

We suspect what really happened was possibly the pump hoses had been changed by the contractor and the green and black hoses got put back in the wrong place

BBC report here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-11483400

You might find something like this useful for the future: http://www.misfuellingprevention.co.uk/

I've ordered one in caution as this is my first diesel car and there's also a petrol Rav4 in the family so plenty of potential for error. Not received it yet so cannot comment but I read a few comments on other forums/clubs and they seemed positive.

You could also consider fitting an audible warning device called "Think Diesel" I've seen them for sale at around a fiver.:)

See link below on how it works