Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Legal Requirements For Rear Fog Lamp(S)

*srjp*

Does anyone know if a car has two rear fog lamps, are both legally required to work or just the one on the correct side of the car?

The MOT info I've found just seems to suggest it/they have to be red, unobstructed, not centred etc. Nothing solid about pairs.

Thanks

Yes that's the kind of thing I'd seen elsewhere for the UK, it confirms what is bothering me but doesn't clarify if two need to be working if two are fitted. Hmm.

I'm just doing a bit of research on exporting mine to the EU which I'm hoping to do in a year or so.

The UK 4.2 Rav4 currently has one fog lamp fitted to the driver's side under the spare wheel as illustrated below:

CopiadiRavnero.jpg

However on the continent this is required to be on the other (LHD) side and so sits above the number plate on OEM models:

Protezione_1infMY04.jpg

Ideally I would just fit an aftermarket lamp under the bumper by the tow bar as seen on many Japanese 'grey imports' and have two. Sadly, the requirements (at national and EU level) seem to demand that vehicles with two fog lamps must have them fitted symmetrically, which of course these wouldn't be so I would be obliged to disable the original one. I'm wondering if removing the bulb would be enough, or is it legally a case of 'if the lamp is there then the bulb must function'?

Would rather not get rid of it entirely as I may want to re-register in the UK one day.

Suppose I could just remove the lens from the original and blank it off, possibly with a reflector or a simple bumper sticker!

I might be best finding an 'ex-pat' style forum and see if any of them have had the same issue.

Yes that's the kind of thing I'd seen elsewhere for the UK, it confirms what is bothering me but doesn't clarify if two need to be working if two are fitted. Hmm.

I'm just doing a bit of research on exporting mine to the EU which I'm hoping to do in a year or so.

The UK 4.2 Rav4 currently has one fog lamp fitted to the driver's side under the spare wheel as illustrated below:

CopiadiRavnero.jpg

However on the continent this is required to be on the other (LHD) side and so sits above the number plate on OEM models:

Protezione_1infMY04.jpg

Ideally I would just fit an aftermarket lamp under the bumper by the tow bar as seen on many Japanese 'grey imports' and have two. Sadly, the requirements (at national and EU level) seem to demand that vehicles with two fog lamps must have them fitted symmetrically, which of course these wouldn't be so I would be obliged to disable the original one. I'm wondering if removing the bulb would be enough, or is it legally a case of 'if the lamp is there then the bulb must function'?

Would rather not get rid of it entirely as I may want to re-register in the UK one day.

Suppose I could just remove the lens from the original and blank it off, possibly with a reflector or a simple bumper sticker!

I might be best finding an 'ex-pat' style forum and see if any of them have had the same issue.

Used to have a Volvo that had fittings for a fog lamp on both sides [with lenses in the cluster]. Nearside bulb holder was blanked off from new. Never mentioned at MOT time.

Used to have a Volvo that had fittings for a fog lamp on both sides [with lenses in the cluster]. Nearside bulb holder was blanked off from new. Never mentioned at MOT time.

True, that's quite common, but it's not quite as obvious as having a whacking great lamp body sitting there on its own doing nothing. Guess I'm scared of someone giving it a tap during inspection and asking, "what's that for then and why isn't it doing it?.."

I would get one off eBay or a breaker (proper RAV one) and just mount it where that LHD is. I bet the mounting is in there and you could leave the pair on;

fog.pdf

True, that's quite common, but it's not quite as obvious as having a whacking great lamp body sitting there on its own doing nothing. Guess I'm scared of someone giving it a tap during inspection and asking, "what's that for then and why isn't it doing it?.."

You could fit the under bumper lamp on left side and source a clear lens for the existing rear fog and either leave it dormant or wire it up as an additional reverse lamp.

You could fit the under bumper lamp on left side and source a clear lens for the existing rear fog and either leave it dormant or wire it up as an additional reverse lamp.

I like that idea; extra illumination for reversing. :thumbsup: Would confuse my camera's nightvision a bit but that's not a major problem, and in fact thanks to the camera there's now a reversing wire in the door I can splice into.

Anchorman, thank you for the pdf, that will be useful if I consider mounting an OEM one. Sadly to get a symmetrical pair at the same horizontal and vertical points on the other side I'd have to place it somewhere in the number plate holder. Asymmetrical pairs aren't allowed (perhaps as they would create a confusing vehicle outline). I could easily merge that with Davrav's suggestion though and have an new 'OEM' fog in the correct place and an extra back-up lamp in the old one. B)

Don't suppose you guys know who manufactures the Toyota lenses, they may do a clear equivalent of the same design?

No I don't. Denso seem to make most stuff for Toyota. Doesn't it say on any of the lenses?

No I don't. Denso seem to make most stuff for Toyota. Doesn't it say on any of the lenses?

That's a job for when it's not dark and raining. ;)

Sure a similar one can be sourced somewhere and made to fit if not. Will report back if I've any luck.

• 10 months later...

Just a little post-scriptum, the car passed it's first French MOT (controle technique) without any amendment to the rear fog being required (despite whatever their regulations say to the contrary).

Apparently this can depend on the individual tester at each station so don't expect the same results everywhere.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links