Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Interested In Prius

rhawkins

hi,

im interested in a few aspects of the prius before i buy one, mainly the solar panel.

is it worth the extra money for it? and how effective is it at actually cooling the car in warm weather when parked up?

toyota are claiming it will reduce the temperatures in the car by 20 degrees, is this anywhere near the truth or are we talking a couple of degrees at most?

toyota are claiming it will reduce the temperatures in the car by 20 degrees, is this anywhere near the truth or are we talking a couple of degrees at most?

Bearing in mind the rarity of hot weather in the UK (and I mean HOT, not the feeble summers we get) I didn't bother with the solar panel, I didn't consider it worth the extra cost and have found from experience that white cars tend not to get as hot as darker colours. However, the choice must be yours....

You can only get the solar panel with the tiny little 15" wheels and reduced handling of those as well. This is due to the weight being added to the vehicle and for it to stay in the lower tax bracket ;-) Been there, wanted it, but decided against it.

You can only get the solar panel with the tiny little 15" wheels and reduced handling of those as well. This is due to the weight being added to the vehicle and for it to stay in the lower tax bracket ;-) Been there, wanted it, but decided against it.

I have a Gen3 with the solar panel but have only had it 2 weeks so have not used the fan. I have not noticed any problems re handling. Added bonus is the tilt and slide sunroof but i'm sure that will affect mpg (not had it long enough to compare).

My first toyota and I love it!

Makes no sense in our climate.

If the price was the same for two otherwise identical cars (previously owned) I would go for the solar panel. I think it is a cool idea :yahoo:

The consensus of opinion on the US Prius site is that it doesn't make a great deal of difference but does sort of work. The thing they say is that whilst reducing the interior temp it doesn't reduce it lower than the ambient temp outside.

Again it sounds like a bit of a gimmick to me but can assist the a/c a little on a hot day. Personally I'd just open all the doors or windows for 30 seconds before getting in. Regarding the 15 inch wheels - I don't think they affect handling and actually offer a more comfortable ride as they have taller tyre walls.