Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Few Quick Questions...

wizzard

Hi,

I just got a brand new Yaris T-Spirit 1.3. I've got a couple of quick questions: -

1) I understand most cars need the engine broken in (or whatever the correct terminology is) for about the first 1000 miles, then the oil needs changing. I spoke to Toyota about this today, and they said first service is 1 year/20,000 miles. Anyone know anything about this?

2) After I turn the engine on, the green coolant light stays on for about a minute. Is this normal?

Thanks,

Martin

WooHoo! I can answer one now!!

Yeh, the light thing's normal. I was worried about it on mine, I thought I might need more anti freeze or something, but a few people on here have said that there's does the same.

i think youll find the light is a temp light. preumable going off when engine is at opt temp, cos g/f's tsport does it.

she had to run her engine in for 600 miles, keeping it below 60mph, under 4k revs etc. people have differnt reaons why to do it or not to. and the first service after a year is pretty masci, oil/oil filter change i think.

Hi wizzard

Welcome to the club mate :group-cuddles:

Running in

Thats when you drive the car at low revs trying not to go into the red band for the first 1000 miles. Now some people dont bover with this. As a rule for me i have always done this as i intend to keep the car for a few years so i want the engine to last. The chice is yours mate.

About the engine coolant light.

This light will stay on until the engine has reached the correct temperature. Just like with other cars will the clocks blue for cold red for getting hotter ok :thumbsup:

Servicing

Now as far as i know with the 1.5 model the t sport you have to have your first service at 10,000 miles or a year what ever comes around first. 20,000 like you said is now the 2nd service. For a 10,000 miles service that should set you back around £85 all in ok.

jerry!!

funnily enugh, the first time i drove her car from cold, cos i borrowed it, i noticed the littel light, phoned her up, she said "what light, na no lights" so i though, oh great, whats happened, it went off after a bit. when i saw her and shoed her, she said oh yeah, thats fine.

:rolleyes: women.

no good with technology unless it takes batteries. And i don't mean laptops.

dildo.gif

:rolleyes: women.

no good with technology unless it takes batteries. And i don't mean laptops.

dildo.gif

:lol: I like that nice one!! :thumbsup:

jerry!!

Recommended to use a variety of revs don't just cruise at same revs all the time so do a variety of driving. Leaving the oil in till first service or 10k (don't wait till 20K is to long and not good) this helps the engine bed in properly.

some people are under the belief that if you floor it, and tear around to begin with, this loosens up the enigne making it faster sooner.

cant say if it does or doesn't, i suppose it all depends on if you plan on keeping the car a long time or not, and if you car what problems someone else might have later on in life.

i've never owned a brand new car, so i've never had to break on in, but teri has had 3 yaris and we broke them all in.

OK.... the truth about "running in" (this is something I've actually written an article on, albeit with motorcycle engines. The T-sport is pretty modern though, so no worries)

You'll feel how much the engine wants to rev and load, and by 200 miles or so she'll be willing to get as high as 5000rpm I bet. If you thrash it from new she will give as much as 10% more power than a fully broken in one. By comparison, a tame running-in will result in a wheezy gutless lump.

Here's how you run a bike engine for maximum power...

From 0 miles chuck in the cheapest mineral 10/40 you can find. Modern synthetics are just too damn good, and you want your liners, rings and pistons (not to mention shells, bearings, pins, etc) to become really good friends. They've got to be rubbing up and down each other like Janet Jackson and Justin Timberake. A good synthetic would be like them wearing head-to-toe condoms - they do the deed, but they're not really gelling together. The mineral let's them bed into each other. After a thousand miles go back to proper good synthetic oil.

The other myth about running-in is that you shouldn't rev it or load it. You just shouldn't do it all the time. In a hundred mile run from mile ZERO I'd definitely explore the redline at least once. Let her warm up, let the engine tell you what's happening. You really can feel the note change as she loosens off.

Finally, if you thrash it mercilessly from 0 miles, she'll make great power. But by 30,000 miles she'll be drinking oil and asking for a re-bore. By 100,000 miles you'll be searching for this post again 'cos you'll be on your second motor! ;)

Good advice there!

Best was Tiktok's smiley holding a vibro!!!!!!

Where'dya get that one from, it's not in my 'show all's'!!!!

Great - thanks to everyone for such good advice. The reason I got mixed up between 10 and 20,000 miles is because I can't see any way I'm going to get to 10,000 in the first year - I don't tend to do very many long trips, so it is really just annual service for me whatever mileage it is on.

Martin

Yeah i know what you mean. My first service i managed to only knock up just over 5000 miles :o

jerry!!