Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wrong Fuel

baz1631

First I have no wish to steal Chris's thunder as my motor is not an oil burner so have no idea on the exact location of the starter motor.

The starter itself is usually like a round tube with a smaller tube mounted on it as per the instruction supplied by anchorman,who is always ready to help.

Hope this helps,

Del

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• baz1631

• anchorman

• three5

• crofter

First I have no wish to steal Chris's thunder as my motor is not an oil burner so have no idea on the exact location of the starter motor.

The starter itself is usually like a round tube with a smaller tube mounted on it as per the instruction supplied by anchorman,who is always ready to help.

Hope this helps,

Del

Hi Del, Thanks for reply. Found the starter! got all ancillary equip. off, and tried to remove starter,but without the right tools, and wierd shaped fingers I couldn't get into the far side bolt!.Getting set of new spanners tomorrow and will remove (hopefully!) Have also arranged for reconditioned starter for £80.00! but wont be ready for about 2-3 weeks. as I need to send it away to get refurb. thanks again for your intrest and help. Will let u know when its IN! :yahoo:

Hi Del, thanks for the link.Will try and get one when I get back to work! Then i'll have a spare! (for sale :thumbsup: )

Hi Del, thanks for the link.Will try and get one when I get back to work! Then i'll have a spare! (for sale :thumbsup: )

OK,STARTER UPDATE! I must be doin something wrong, cant get socket (14mm) spanners(14mm) or anything else into the rear bolt nearest the bulkhead. Do I need a special tool for this? or am I looking @ the wrong bolts? :blink:

I can't for the life of me think what you are looking at!

If you look down into the engine bay the starter is just to the left of the gearbox bell housing at the front near the radiator side of the engine - not near the bulkhead.

I can't for the life of me think what you are looking at!

If you look down into the engine bay the starter is just to the left of the gearbox bell housing at the front near the radiator side of the engine - not near the bulkhead.

HI Anchorman, yea got the :censor: bolts in my sights! still cant get the thing out. tried taking the gear linkage off, still no access.guess i just dont have the right tools or savvy! takin car to garage in a couple of days and get them to remove it

Oh! Well that is one way but those cables pop off quite easily. I don't remember using any special tools in that area but if I can't get at a bolt I tend not to worry about digging until I get at it.

Let your garage sort it if you are losing patience though :thumbsup:

Oh! Well that is one way but those cables pop off quite easily. I don't remember using any special tools in that area but if I can't get at a bolt I tend not to worry about digging until I get at it.

Let your garage sort it if you are losing patience though :thumbsup:

thanks for reply :thumbsup: Ididnt know the cables could come off. where do the split? atthe Battery end?

If you look down at the 2 cables you will see they have wire clips through. Carefully take the clip off and the cables just pull off. Take a digital photo first just to remind yourself how they go.

If they won't move out of the way, you can take the bracket off as well but I think they will. You might only need one off.

Off to bed now. I need my beauty sleep. Probably about 11 months of it to have any effect :rolleyes:

If you look down at the 2 cables you will see they have wire clips through. Carefully take the clip off and the cables just pull off. Take a digital photo first just to remind yourself how they go.

If they won't move out of the way, you can take the bracket off as well but I think they will. You might only need one off.

Off to bed now. I need my beauty sleep. Probably about 11 months of it to have any effect :rolleyes:

OK cheers , 'am too old to need much sleep, thakx again , Ikeep u posted, night night

OK cheers , 'am too old to need much sleep, thakx again , Ikeep u posted, night night

Well , took car to garage this morning.It started with a tow ,but after about 100=200 yards,decided to cary on towing without running engine, still some petrol in the tank i think(not much though maybe about 5-6 ltr. but still white smoke!). will this have done any damege to engine?. left it with the proffesionals. will go back to garage on Monday to see whats what. wish me luck! ha ha I need it!

Its hard to say really. Those solenoid injectors are quite toght so it should be OK.

Good luck with the bill - hope it isn't to much of a shock!!!

Its hard to say really. Those solenoid injectors are quite toght so it should be OK.

Hi anchorman, sorry for bein' a nusance, but getting paranoid now!,on the way too garage, car started with a tow (switched off after a couple of hundered yards) the engine was making a tapping noise hopefully due to the little bit of petrol still in tank! but aws smokin' the usual white stuff. How long would it take the car to start running normal on tick-over? sorry for being a nusance but dont want garage to "pull the wool over me eyes". :wacko:

Hi anchorman, sorry for bein' a nusance, but getting paranoid now!,on the way too garage, car started with a tow (switched off after a couple of hundered yards) the engine was making a tapping noise hopefully due to the little bit of petrol still in tank! but aws smokin' the usual white stuff. How long would it take the car to start running normal on tick-over? sorry for being a nusance but dont want garage to "pull the wool over me eyes". :wacko:

I can see a hidden desire to run a petrol RAV!! Go on - you know you want to! :lol:

Not long - 2 or 3 minutes. It actually pumps far more fuel to the engine than it uses and the rest is sent back to the tank so it should purge it quite quickly. I think I would be tempted to leave it running, watch the oil light to make sure that doesn't come on and see if it clears. It will knock quite a lot due to the petrol being volatile but if it has bggrd an injector I doubt it will take any harm idling anyway.

If it clears you just have to sort that starter out.

Not long - 2 or 3 minutes. It actually pumps far more fuel to the engine than it uses and the rest is sent back to the tank so it should purge it quite quickly. I think I would be tempted to leave it running, watch the oil light to make sure that doesn't come on and see if it clears. It will knock quite a lot due to the petrol being volatile but if it has bggrd an injector I doubt it will take any harm idling anyway.

If it clears you just have to sort that starter out.

Cheers A M . mechanic says the deisel/petrol thing will sort itself out, and the starter is probably :censor: , so lookin for a recon. one on the net just now.Will change oil when I get it back, got oil and filter ready!.

Baz,

Do you have any auto electricians near to you that may be able to look at your starter?

I assume as the mechanic said it was probably :censor: he did not test it.

Who knows,you unit may be repairable cheaper than buying another one.

Del

Baz,

Do you have any auto electricians near to you that may be able to look at your starter?

I assume as the mechanic said it was probably :censor: he did not test it.

Who knows,you unit may be repairable cheaper than buying another one.

Del

OK! Update on car.: it wasn't starter,It was turbo :censor: Aaarrrrrgh. the seals on turbo apparently cracked/split worn-out whatever and it was pushing out oil all over the wrong bits! oil was getting to parts that dont need it and wasn't getting to parts that did. oil light didn'tcome on 'cause there was still oil in sump! but nowhere else. SO if anyone has 2nd hand turbo lyin' about can maybe talk money :unsure: this is gonna cost loadsa dough..............lucky white heather anyone?

So this was smoking before you put petrol in it?

Dont know anchorman, .......it was dark (country road ,no street lights, travelling through the glens where the lucy white heather grows!)

Dont know anchorman, .......it was dark (country road ,no street lights, travelling through the glens where the lucy white heather grows!)

Yes but you are saying this problem only occured since you put petrol in it?

Yes but you are saying this problem only occured since you put petrol in it?

yes, starter u/s, not starting, etc. car has never been able to "pull away" like im being told as it should with a turbo. I dont go above 55mph!(much)

OK so this fuel thing is a red herring. I was thinking that your garage was trying to suck you in but maybe it is possible. It is very unlikely that it happened as a result of putting the wrong fuel in. :thumbsup:

OK so this fuel thing is a red herring. I was thinking that your garage was trying to suck you in but maybe it is possible. It is very unlikely that it happened as a result of putting the wrong fuel in. :thumbsup:

Just what mechanic said. I'm in a good position up here in bonnie oban (not just now cause its rainin!) in that I'm on first name terms with most people, including a few mechanics and this guy is reasonable. he wouldn't over charge cause his reputation wouldn't be worth :censor: once word got around!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links