Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Leaks Database

MartyB

My wifes 2009 Aygo had new door seals fitted by the dealer under warranty after the rear footwells were found to be soaking wet. 10 days later - more heavy rain and now the FRONT passenger footwell is soaking wet! Back to the dealer on Monday.

• 5 months later...

Hi,

We have a brand new Aygo GO 60 plate 5 door, which is just over 3 months old and it's leaking like a sieve (rear L/H foot well#.

So far it has been back to the Toyota dealer 4 times and is currently residing there for the last week. So far they have replaced a set of door seals and a bung in the boot and given it a respray after they scratched#butchered# one side and ruined the seats with door seal mastic.

After it returning home "fixed" for the 3rd time, I sat in the car when we had a little shower and after 5 minutes could feel the water coming in under the passenger seat on the back edge of the lateral strut.#through a flap in the carpet#

cue another phone call to Toyota whilst sitting in the sinking Aygo... :help:

So now after a week with team Toyota,they phoned and said they are unable to find the leak after hours of "testing"...

It was suggested that our car be parked on our drive and water tested, So today they came with our little stripped out Aygo for a flying visit, Anyway after 10 minutes with the hose I could see the water trickling in and witnessed the water filling up the back foot well quicker than a sinking ship.

The water is travelling from the front bulkhead #passenger side#under the box section that runs from front to back#its welded and sealed to the floor pan# and under the lateral strut #which the front seats are bolted to#then it dribbles out of the box section at either end and then straight onto the rear carpet.

The question I have is: how can water pass through what appears to be a solid bulkhead?? Is there a bung missing?? is it magic??

There is no other way in....SO now we wait to see what the fix is,It could be something very simple on the other side of the bulkhead but me thinks its a manufacturing fault... Anyway, I will update when I know more..

post-104827-0-78608300-1304459503_thumb.

post-104827-0-45989400-1304460304_thumb.

post-104827-0-61357200-1304460332_thumb.

post-104827-0-65886700-1304461081_thumb.

Thanks for letting us know on here!

Sorry to hear that even a 60 plate leaks... I'm sure if you persevere they will find the problem! Although I haven't heard them leaking as you describe... this could be a new one!

Keep us updated

I have an 11 plate and im all ok so far.

only time Ive see water near my boot is when it was raining and I lifted the boot up!

Hi,

We have a brand new Aygo GO 60 plate 5 door, which is just over 3 months old and it's leaking like a sieve (rear L/H foot well#.

So far it has been back to the Toyota dealer 4 times and is currently residing there for the last week. So far they have replaced a set of door seals and a bung in the boot and given it a respray after they scratched#butchered# one side and ruined the seats with door seal mastic.

After it returning home "fixed" for the 3rd time, I sat in the car when we had a little shower and after 5 minutes could feel the water coming in under the passenger seat on the back edge of the lateral strut.#through a flap in the carpet#

cue another phone call to Toyota whilst sitting in the sinking Aygo... :help:

So now after a week with team Toyota,they phoned and said they are unable to find the leak after hours of "testing"...

It was suggested that our car be parked on our drive and water tested, So today they came with our little stripped out Aygo for a flying visit, Anyway after 10 minutes with the hose I could see the water trickling in and witnessed the water filling up the back foot well quicker than a sinking ship.

The water is travelling from the front bulkhead #passenger side#under the box section that runs from front to back#its welded and sealed to the floor pan# and under the lateral strut #which the front seats are bolted to#then it dribbles out of the box section at either end and then straight onto the rear carpet.

The question I have is: how can water pass through what appears to be a solid bulkhead?? Is there a bung missing?? is it magic??

There is no other way in....SO now we wait to see what the fix is,It could be something very simple on the other side of the bulkhead but me thinks its a manufacturing fault... Anyway, I will update when I know more..

burgo This is ridiculous!! Reject the car you have suffered enough. Cars should not leak like this.

I am 100% behind geriatric on this one ....Reject the car , no car which is 3 months old should leak..tell them you want a replacement aygo or your money back.

"no car which is 3 months old should leak." Neither should a three day nor three year old car.

They've been given the opportunity to stem the leaks at least three times, damaged and resprayed plus deposited sealant on seats all while in their care.

You are perfectly within your rights, under the Sale of Goods Act, to reject the car, ask for a like for like (non leaking of course)replacement or full refund. You could also be entitled to be re-imbursed for any expenses incurred or financial losses for your time.

I'll 3rd the "reject it", it's not fit for purpose.

"no car which is 3 months old should leak." Neither should a three day nor three year old car.

They've been given the opportunity to stem the leaks at least three times, damaged and resprayed plus deposited sealant on seats all while in their care.

You are perfectly within your rights, under the Sale of Goods Act, to reject the car, ask for a like for like (non leaking of course)replacement or full refund. You could also be entitled to be re-imbursed for any expenses incurred or financial losses for your time.

I'll 3rd the "reject it", it's not fit for purpose.

Ill 4th motion .. Print off a copy of the act from the net , a list of your faults and concerns and walk straight into Toyota !

I have an 11 plate and no leaks so far. I wash the car every other day, with a watering can and hose pipe. No water gets in. I wonder if some cars have been made years earlier, and stock piled, so you have a new car, but it was made 3 years ago? Just a thought.

I have an 11 plate and no leaks so far. I wash the car every other day, with a watering can and hose pipe. No water gets in. I wonder if some cars have been made years earlier, and stock piled, so you have a new car, but it was made 3 years ago? Just a thought.

Take your point Grinner, bur I'm not sure manufacturers can do that these days, certainly not like they used to do in the bad old days of BL!

You only have to check the manufactured date on the headlights to see how recent the car is. They can be only several weeks before delivery. They do not stock parts but they go straight in to the production line. Leaking Aygos seem to be a big problem some current ones leak some do not. I do not think that there is any chance that this leaking car is of old manufacture.

2006 AYGO Sport MMT, 3 door, only leak was the seal on high level brakelight, bit of sealer now good as new and dry as a bone.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, We have a brand new Aygo GO 60 plate 5 door, which is just over 3 months old and it's leaking like a sieve (rear L/H foot well#. So far it has been back to the Toyota dealer 4 times and is currently residing there for the last week. So far they have replaced a set of door seals and a bung in the boot and given it a respray after they scratched#butchered# one side and ruined the seats with door seal mastic. After it returning home "fixed" for the 3rd time, I sat in the car when we had a little shower and after 5 minutes could feel the water coming in under the passenger seat on the back edge of the lateral strut.#through a flap in the carpet#cue another phone call to Toyota whilst sitting in the sinking Aygo... :help: So now after a week with team Toyota,they phoned and said they are unable to find the leak after hours of "testing"...It was suggested that our car be parked on our drive and water tested, So today they came with our little stripped out Aygo for a flying visit, Anyway after 10 minutes with the hose I could see the water trickling in and witnessed the water filling up the back foot well quicker than a sinking ship.The water is travelling from the front bulkhead #passenger side#under the box section that runs from front to back#its welded and sealed to the floor pan# and under the lateral strut #which the front seats are bolted to#then it dribbles out of the box section at either end and then straight onto the rear carpet.The question I have is: how can water pass through what appears to be a solid bulkhead?? Is there a bung missing?? is it magic?? There is no other way in....SO now we wait to see what the fix is,It could be something very simple on the other side of the bulkhead but me thinks its a manufacturing fault... Anyway, I will update when I know more..

Hi everyone... me again...

Well a lot has happened since I posted that post.

After finding the leak for them, I had to wait a week or so then I got a phone call from the Toyota garage saying that Toyota GB are investigating the car and they had established that the car only leaked at a 10 degrees nose up attitude,(our drive being a perfect 10' angle) not leaking at 8 or 11 degrees but 10' and it was something to do with the water flow going down the skuttle drain, Anyway they wanted the garage to drill off the welds and remove the box section that is welded to the bulkhead and the floor pan,then re-weld and paint then hand it back....To which I said err NO!!! "If they would like to do it to their own car then they best get me a new one!!!"

So after 2 weeks of waiting the Toyota garage has been onto Toyota GB and asked for a replacement car and I quickly phoned up and told them I dont want another Aygo, I want my money back.. So 2 weeks later we dropped off the loaner yaris and picked up the cheque for the full amount of what we paid back in January..What a result!!!!!

So now I am looking at buying a mini or a civic (which I was gonna buy in the 1st place) and maybe something that can hopefully keep the water out!!!

:thumbsup: Remember 10 degrees (with iPhone 'ihandy level app' on the sill) nose uphill = wet car.... Lets just hope it is a one off!! :boat:

All the best burgo :group-cuddles:

Hi, We have a brand new Aygo GO 60 plate 5 door, which is just over 3 months old and it's leaking like a sieve (rear L/H foot well#. So far it has been back to the Toyota dealer 4 times and is currently residing there for the last week. So far they have replaced a set of door seals and a bung in the boot and given it a respray after they scratched#butchered# one side and ruined the seats with door seal mastic. After it returning home "fixed" for the 3rd time, I sat in the car when we had a little shower and after 5 minutes could feel the water coming in under the passenger seat on the back edge of the lateral strut.#through a flap in the carpet#cue another phone call to Toyota whilst sitting in the sinking Aygo... :help: So now after a week with team Toyota,they phoned and said they are unable to find the leak after hours of "testing"...It was suggested that our car be parked on our drive and water tested, So today they came with our little stripped out Aygo for a flying visit, Anyway after 10 minutes with the hose I could see the water trickling in and witnessed the water filling up the back foot well quicker than a sinking ship.The water is travelling from the front bulkhead #passenger side#under the box section that runs from front to back#its welded and sealed to the floor pan# and under the lateral strut #which the front seats are bolted to#then it dribbles out of the box section at either end and then straight onto the rear carpet.The question I have is: how can water pass through what appears to be a solid bulkhead?? Is there a bung missing?? is it magic?? There is no other way in....SO now we wait to see what the fix is,It could be something very simple on the other side of the bulkhead but me thinks its a manufacturing fault... Anyway, I will update when I know more..

Hi everyone... me again...

Well a lot has happened since I posted that post.

After finding the leak for them, I had to wait a week or so then I got a phone call from the Toyota garage saying that Toyota GB are investigating the car and they had established that the car only leaked at a 10 degrees nose up attitude,(our drive being a perfect 10' angle) not leaking at 8 or 11 degrees but 10' and it was something to do with the water flow going down the skuttle drain, Anyway they wanted the garage to drill off the welds and remove the box section that is welded to the bulkhead and the floor pan,then re-weld and paint then hand it back....To which I said err NO!!! "If they would like to do it to their own car then they best get me a new one!!!"

So after 2 weeks of waiting the Toyota garage has been onto Toyota GB and asked for a replacement car and I quickly phoned up and told them I dont want another Aygo, I want my money back.. So 2 weeks later we dropped off the loaner yaris and picked up the cheque for the full amount of what we paid back in January..What a result!!!!!

So now I am looking at buying a mini or a civic (which I was gonna buy in the 1st place) and maybe something that can hopefully keep the water out!!!

:thumbsup: Remember 10 degrees (with iPhone 'ihandy level app' on the sill) nose uphill = wet car.... Lets just hope it is a one off!! :boat:

All the best burgo :group-cuddles:

Glad you got your money back and sad you got put off by the Aygo but I do not blame you.

Make sure you get a hefty discount on the civic mind...that car has been out for a number of years now and a replacement is due in a few months time. My friend had the Civic when it first came out and it's a very nice car. Most of the niggles with it should be resolved, but these were the ones I was aware of when he visited the Civic forums (Copied from there) and to watch out for when collecting:

"On collection of a new car - here are some known faults that you may want to test/check in addition to the stuff you'd check on any new car:

Rear shocks

Early cars made a "clonking" noise from the rear, caused by a batch of faulty shocks. A test drive will highlight this, but then the dealer should have just checked it. Ask the dealer if it has the fault - that should throw him!

Fuel filler cap

The cap on some cars doesn't open when you pull the lever. Pull the lever (by the drivers feet) once to check the cap opens.

Radio problems

As you arrive in your old car, tune a station that is of marginal, but just-ok reception. When you get into the Civic, tune the same frequency and check the reception is acceptable. There have been reports of poor reception.

Cigarette lighter

Pull the cig lighter out a few times and make sure the socket doesn't come out too.

Gear stick

Check it's screwed on.

Handbrake light

Check it goes on and off with the handbrake.

Door fit

Check the doors are aligned correctly. The stripe down the middle part of the door should line up with the stripe on the front wing and the stripe on the rear door.

Headlights fouling bumper

Check the bottom of the headlights are not touching the bumper (may rub causing paint to come off).

Missing clips

Have a look at the centre console down at floor level near your feet. There should be 2 clips on each side - these can pop out and go missing.

Reversing aids

If you've had dealer-installed accessories fitted, check for scratches all around the rear-centre console, the centre console, the gearchange and inside the tailgate.

Rear lights

Fog light not connected, best to check all lights working.

Scratches on the dash

The dash is very shiny and very prone to getting scratched. Check under good lighting conditions the black plastic around the instrument console and the perspex instrument cover."

Good luck and keep in touch! :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Aygo Blue '10 leaks into spare wheel well. I've traced it to coming into the boot at the rear of the body at the seam below the black plastic grill in the centre. I've poured water on the outside of the car to replicate it but it only happens with rain. Toyota dealer will have to sort it at the 20,000 mile service.

If water only comes in at that grill it might be coming in through the vents behind

the bumper. And water only gets there when it's thrown up by the rear wheels.

I believe this is a known issue that Toyota has a solution for.

I drive through a large puddle the other day, water some ow was forced through the passenger door seal with such force that it wet the gear stick! very odd!

I drive through a large puddle the other day, water some ow was forced through the passenger door seal with such force that it wet the gear stick! very odd!

Puddle? Puddle? Enough rain to create a puddle would be good!

I have noticed from reading about these Aygo water leak issues that some cars are

badly affected with leaks while others seem to be fine.

I would be of the opinion that if it were 100 percent a design flaw that all cars would be affected (in a similar manner). My suspicion is that perhaps there is an issue with consistancy in the production process - so some cars are put together (seals etc) spot on

while others aren't put together quite as perfectly.

Looking at other manufacturer issues ive read about over the years

Mazda 6s - rust issue in rear arches due to said arches not being sealed (anti corrosion)

perfectly

Mk 3 Ford Mondeos - bottoms of front doors can rust due to (ive heard) a flaw in the production process on the Ford production line.

Merc W210 E Class - these have a reputation for rust generally - however one rust spot on

them is the top of (i think) the rear doors. I think i read mention of something to do with

whatever method the machine used to grab the door (pick it up) when the car was being made.

So it may be worth Toyotas while to look closely at the production process for the cars

and iron out potential problem areas.

Red diesel

• 2 weeks later...

My Aygo was bought in sept 2008, and from the paperwork it was imported into Ireland in May 2008, sat in another garage for a while. Never had any leak problems, till today. Very heavy rain in west of Ireland yesterday (however, it rains alot where I live anyway), and this morning I noticed a trickle of water in the front passenger footwell and the exact point where it entered the car, which was a point along the bottom of the front passenger door. Not much water ingress, and rubber mat caught alot of it. Seeing as water can't travel upwards, I'm guessing the the water ran down along the rubber seal and managed to flow in at a specific point.

Alot of leak problems mentioned in this thread seem to relate to rear footwells. I saw mention in other threads that additional seals were fitted between upper door frame and body of car. As car is under warranty, I'll give the local dealer a call on Monday.

If it seems to com from the bottom of the door I'm guessing it comes form inside the door.

The seal at the front of the door (the foam-like barrier) is probably letting water through

that runs inside the door past the windowseal. It then collects on the inside of the doorcard

to finally run between the metal and plastic onto the seal and then into the footwell...

That's what happened to me when I didn't re-seal the barrier enough after removing it to add some wiring...

Thanks Jan,

I'll take a look inside the door panel and see what condition the seal is.

3 Weeks ago I bought a GO with the Xtra pack which includes rear park assist. after 2 days I found water in the spare wheel well. Returned car to Shields Toyota in Glasgow who investigated and after removing rear bumper they found the wiring harness had been routed via vent and not grommet provided for the purpose. The problem was fixed within 2 hours of arriving at garage. These packs are fitted at "port of Entry" I am lead to believe By OTHERS, so no fault by Toyota.If you have R P A and a boot leak this liable to be the cause. :thumbsup:

they found the wiring harness had been routed via vent and not grommet provided for the purpose.

Routing through the vent is considered "normal"! I installed a set of sensors myself,

following the AIM from Toyota and it clearly showed routing through the vent.

Guess what? I also got water ingress. So I removed the system completely;

the sensors were too sensitive to my liking anyway...

so no fault by Toyota.

Since they're doing this FOR Toyota according to Toyota's specs, Toyota IS at fault IMHO...

Just to be sure I did a check of the AIM and they STILL advise to do so: LINK

Page 13 of 25 shows how they use a grommet on the inside, but the wiring still

exits behind the bumper through the vents, as shown on page 14 of 25...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links