Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Leaks Database

MartyB

Aygo Black 60 plate - rear foot wells soaking wet after a lot of rain. The 'hump' in between the rear footwells seemed damp but the outer sides leading up to the rear door openings seemed to be dry. No leakage anywhere else, the boot was bone dry.

Back to the Toyota dealer under warranty - they fitted new door seals and rear upper brake light assembly including seal.

They weren't too specific about the origins of the leak, so my guess is that they did all the usual things in the hope that would cure the problem - and it probably will - time will tell.

Water leaks into the car are apparently a common Aygo problem. As an engineer, I find the fact that this problem still exists after approximately seven years in production, a bit pathetic and hard to accept, especially as Toyota is a premium car manufacturer!

@Kingo - many thanks. Told by TOYOTA to ring dealer as you rightly say (& as we did expect) to be the case. Dealer initially said they would run tests for which, if the fault was found not to be manufacture problem, there would be a charge. However, when they rung back to arrange a date for the test, and we asked how much the charge could be, they said they don't think there would be a charge. Whether this is a nod towards an acceptance of this being a well documented problem with the Aygo.

Our only problem now, for which I need to confirm with the dealer, is do we attempt to dry the back seat. If in fact it is possible to dry completely. And how to do so lol fun and games eh

Thanks again for your pointer

Morris26

@Kingo - many thanks. Told by TOYOTA to ring dealer as you rightly say (& as we did expect) to be the case. Dealer initially said they would run tests for which, if the fault was found not to be manufacture problem, there would be a charge. However, when they rung back to arrange a date for the test, and we asked how much the charge could be, they said they don't think there would be a charge. Whether this is a nod towards an acceptance of this being a well documented problem with the Aygo.

Our only problem now, for which I need to confirm with the dealer, is do we attempt to dry the back seat. If in fact it is possible to dry completely. And how to do so lol fun and games eh

Thanks again for your pointer

Morris26

I booked mine in yesterday to a well-respected Toyota dealer (the one I bought the car from) and they told me there would be a charge of £250 for them to simply carry out the test, which will apparently take 5 days and possibly more. Does this sound about right to people? Unfortunately they were unable to offer my a courtesy car for this period, which was disappointing, so I'll have to drive a relative's car instead.

It's unusual that a few of us are finding that after 5/6 years, our Aygos are only now starting to leak. Perhaps a sign of how bad the recent weather really has been!

£250!! All they are doing is a hose test and maybe it will require two people occasionally.

5 days - mine took 2-1/2 days. Had to wait for a new upper brake light to be delivered which added a day to the proceedings.

I think your dealer is taking the p--s. I was lucky, it was done under warranty.

If I had to pay for it, I would do my own test at home using a garden hose to start with and someone inside looking for leaks. If no result then careful use of a high pressure washer. Once you've identified the leak, you could buy the parts and fit yourself. Regarding the upper brake light, I think I'd have a go at removing, cleaning and re-fitting with silicone sealant. Have a go yourself before putting your car in the hands of the dealer.

£250!! All they are doing is a hose test and maybe it will require two people occasionally.

5 days - mine took 2-1/2 days. Had to wait for a new upper brake light to be delivered which added a day to the proceedings.

I think your dealer is taking the p--s. I was lucky, it was done under warranty.

If I had to pay for it, I would do my own test at home using a garden hose to start with and someone inside looking for leaks. If no result then careful use of a high pressure washer. Once you've identified the leak, you could buy the parts and fit yourself. Regarding the upper brake light, I think I'd have a go at removing, cleaning and re-fitting with silicone sealant. Have a go yourself before putting your car in the hands of the dealer.

Yes but they need to strip the carpets and take the seats out in order to find the leak. I wouldn't have the time or the expertise to attempt that. But I did think £250 seemed expensive. Guess that's main dealers and ridiculous labour costs for you!

We couldnt be booked in sooner than the 15th of this month. I was going to phone tomorrow to ask whether we attempt to dry out the back seat before getting there (if that is at all possible as its drenched). Not sure if I've read somewhere here about leaks around rear lights but when emptying the boot ready for when it goes in, I decided to check. The lower sides of the boot lining were soaked and the spare tyre recess was half inch deep in water. It would seem that this could well be the problem as it looks as if the water has been flowing from the side sills straight in to the back of the rear seat.

@AYGOgummy, as before, when garage rung back to make the appointment (the appointment book wasn't to hand when we first rang! Not sure whether they dont have computerised booking system or if that was to buy some time for him to make a few enquiries lol) the man said that he didnt think there would be the charge he was previously certain of! I would definitely say £250 is too expensive. I too have no idea where to start looking or how to fix whatever I found but as Alan TR says, bar removing a few items (which should be a doddle for them) it is basically a running hose test.

I hope to confirm exactly what they intend to do, cost and time involved tomorrow when I ring to give them the information on what I have found today.

Ps yes the car is nearly five years old (08 plate) and yes there has been some bad weather (isn't there always) but I don't think that because of those facts I should expect the back seat of my car to be soaked through after a couple of days heavy rain :-D lmao

All Aygos leak. Sadly they come from factory without the appropriate seals in place. I know folks say their car is X years old and it's never leaked...I'm sorry to say it will leak; it's a question of when not if. Worth going to a dealer and asking them to pro-actively installing the anti-leak fix kit (seals) to ensure the leaks just don't happen.

That's what I did with my brand new Aygo a little over 3 years ago; no leak ;o)

All Aygos leak. Sadly they come from factory without the appropriate seals in place. I know folks say their car is X years old and it's never leaked...I'm sorry to say it will leak; it's a question of when not if. Worth going to a dealer and asking them to pro-actively installing the anti-leak fix kit (seals) to ensure the leaks just don't happen.

That's what I did with my brand new Aygo a little over 3 years ago; no leak ;o)

Could you please explain what this anti-leak kit consists of and how is it applied?

• 3 weeks later...

Result! Car has been in a little over a week. Got the dreaded call from dealer yesterday. She said there is good news and bad news; the good news being Toyota UK have agreed to fix the faults at no cost to us, but it could take a few days before we get the car back. "What's the bad news?" I asked.

No matter how old or new your car is, if you find problems, take it to your dealer! I hope you all have the same joy as we did.

Thank you FRF TOYOTA (SWANSEA)

And thanks to those here with the knowledge, tips and advice

Waiting to pick up a 56 plate vvt-I +3 door from toyota dealership that I'm buying and noticed drip from rear roof lining where it meets the C post plastic trim. They have been all week trying to find which seal to replace. Any ideas folks

Waiting to pick up a 56 plate vvt-I +3 door from toyota dealership that I'm buying and noticed drip from rear roof lining where it meets the C post plastic trim. They have been all week trying to find which seal to replace. Any ideas folks

If the leak is a roof level at the back, I would replace the high level brake light , very common for leaking.

If the leak is a roof level at the back, I would replace the high level brake light , very common for leaking.

Cheers Bob will try to get the all knowing dealer to do. Not difficult you would think, leak up high, look up high

just had a look at ours and yes the dreaded water leak in the boot on both sides it is coming in from around the wiring connector and also on the black plastic clip below the wiring and towards the outer edge of the car, on the other side the light cluster clips into the black clip.

tonight i have removed both of the lights and i have tried smearing some vaseline around the plastic clip and also around where the foam is meant to seal on both sides ,if this fails than i am going to silicon the black clips to the body since they dont have to come out and then i am going to get a thin piece of rubber and make a gasket and bond it to the bodywork so the foam seal will seal tighter

my other thought is to replace all the bulbs with led bulbs then silicon the light assembly's in since they wont have to be removed.

i am disgusted with toyota's design team i thought buying a 2009 car you could expect it to be water tight ,if i cant stop the leaks then the car will be getting sold then probably go back to a nissan

• Like 1

just had a look at ours and yes the dreaded water leak in the boot on both sides it is coming in from around the wiring connector and also on the black plastic clip below the wiring and towards the outer edge of the car, on the other side the light cluster clips into the black clip.

tonight i have removed both of the lights and i have tried smearing some vaseline around the plastic clip and also around where the foam is meant to seal on both sides ,if this fails than i am going to silicon the black clips to the body since they dont have to come out and then i am going to get a thin piece of rubber and make a gasket and bond it to the bodywork so the foam seal will seal tighter

my other thought is to replace all the bulbs with led bulbs then silicon the light assembly's in since they wont have to be removed.

i am disgusted with toyota's design team i thought buying a 2009 car you could expect it to be water tight ,if i cant stop the leaks then the car will be getting sold then probably go back to a nissan

The leak in the position you are seeing is most likely coming from the stoppers either side of the boot which the tail gate glass slams on however as has been stated on here before there is a 5 year warranty extension on Aygo's for water leaks so please please don't try and fix it your self get it into a Toyota dealer ( we have to take photos of all leaks we find to support each the claims we submit if people and dealers have been there before smothering the car with sealants it becomes more difficult to convince Toyota europe that we are fixing a manufacturing defect )

Devon

took the car in today and toyota have taken the pictures and are sending them off so hopefully mid next week we will have an answer form them

good news for us today our toyota dealer rang to lets us know that toyota have honoured the claim and the new parts will be getting sent to our dealer in the next few days so maybe in the next week we will have a dry car yipee :clap:

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my 2007 Aygo+VVi last August 2012. Didn't use the rear seating area at all but was shocked in January this year to see mold forming all over the rear seats and carpets. even the seat belts had succumbed. The seats were saturated. The boot area was covered in blotches of mold. What aroused my concern was a visible line/pool of water continually appearing in the front passenger foot well. I phoned Blackburn Toyota and asked what was their policy. I was told the charge was £60 to do a water leak check, then a decision will be made as to the course of treatment. I'll do it myself if anyone has any tips.

I bought my 2007 Aygo+VVi last August 2012. Didn't use the rear seating area at all but was shocked in January this year to see mold forming all over the rear seats and carpets. even the seat belts had succumbed. The seats were saturated. The boot area was covered in blotches of mold. What aroused my concern was a visible line/pool of water continually appearing in the front passenger foot well. I phoned Blackburn Toyota and asked what was their policy. I was told the charge was £60 to do a water leak check, then a decision will be made as to the course of treatment. I'll do it myself if anyone has any tips.

i used johnson toyota wallasey and they done the check free of charge took the photos and sent them to toyota for them to look at ,waited about 4 days and had a reply from our dealer saying toyota would be sending the modifed parts for the repair to stop the leaks our dealer would then be paid by toyota for their time ,your dealer is just out to make an extra pound from you,i would contact toyota's head office and ask them if you should be paying anything for exploratory work,the link below had toyota's address and phone number

http://www.192.com/atoz/business/epsom-kt18/representative-office/toyota-gb-plc---lexus-divison/5a20f1b5e05cecbb2d384d06b13819627bf0e7fe/ml/

eygo, thank you so much. Its good to be among helpful people. I shall pursue the matter with a bit more confidence.

Thank you again.

• 4 weeks later...

Aygo MMT 2008 model, no leaks.

• 2 months later...

2010 Aygo blue vvti+ . Had it three days, looks like there has been a leak coming in around the interior light. Will get deal to sort it.

Further to my earlier post, mine has 2 leaks - one from the rear window which is causing the carpet to get wet. Dealer has done some work on this and so far so good.
The leak causing water in the boot is proving hard to fix - dealer said they had fixed it but can't see what they have done and it still leaks. I took off the light fitting and sealed it but this didn't look a likely source for the leak. Also silicone sealed the rubber boot lid stops, no effect. Will try the 3rd brake light as a few posts have mentioned this. After that it can only be the boot lid hinges or perhaps the roof aerial.

Disappointed a little but still like the car - it drives nice although the gearbox can be a bit notchy.

behind the rear bumper you also have 2 vents these can leak as well

• 1 month later...

57 plate Aygo Blue. I've had it since 2009 and about two years ago I noticed a leak in the boot.

After doing some research I replaced the rear light seal and that seemed to cure it.

Last winter I noticed some patches of mould in the boot and even spreading to the rear seats. Forums have led me to believe it may be a leaking wheel arch as it is only in the left corner.

Has anyone else had any issues with the wheel arches and what can be done to solve this?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links