Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering Judder

keano40

when i brake from high speed the steering wheel judders quite badly. any pearls of wisdom on what may be causing this??

Apart from the possibility of the ABS cutting in which creates quite an unpleasant judder, you might try looking at the condition of your disks. Any uneven wearing will produce some juddering and this will be more noticable when braking from higher speeds.

Another reason could be worn bushes in the suspension & steering system. If you can get under the car look at the bushes between the lower suspension arms and the body. If they look perished that might be it.

You might also jack up one corner at a time and see if you can move the wheel, either left/right or up/down. If there is any play then you need to get it sorted.

Hi,

As yannick says, it's probably warping of the front brake disks. If it's a newish Avensis (e.g. the model that was current in 2001) then it's a pretty common problem and, as an added bonus, skimming them will be covered under warranty.

Thanks,

Mark.

Go for aftermarket discs and pads and the juddering will stop, mrt's original discs and pads for some reason aren't up to the job, which is because they don't think an avensis driver will push themselves whilst driving. How wrong, it comes down to to much weight onto to small discs in the end, the avensis is to much weight to ratio for the original discs so upgrading is a must.

Never let a maindealer skim your discs btw, demand new all the time :yes:

Hi There

After market discs and pads sound a good idea, but which ones ? - I'm considering renewal, but the choice is bewildering !

Cheers

Buzlby

Thanks guys its booked in next wednesday to be sorted out.

The car is 8 months out of warranty (2000 W), gutted!! The discs were replaced service before last with gen toyota ones, not happy.

Should i try skimming them first or just replace them straight away??

If they have already been replaced there may be a warranty on the new parts. Check that out before committing to a solution (you should have a receipt for the parts for this to work).

As Sorted has said, avoid skimming, it only solves the problem short term. I don't know about aftermarket ones, but if they're available then it's probably worth a go. Ask Sorted for suggestions.

You dont even have to upgrade the disks/pads. Just try a different brand. Can't remember what mine are, but it works!

Hello !!

This is most probably caused by the brake disks. They must be "warped" (if this word is right).Check to see if you also notice the car to brake in an uneven mode , when braking gently in low speed ...If so you should change or alighn the disks . From what I know the dealers have a machine that rectifies the disks while they're on the car..