Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre Advice

Kuro

Just discovered that one of my front tyres is badly worn on the inside edge and the other will need replacing soon.

I called a place I usually go to and they have suggested a budget tyre (focus unitrac 3000) at only £53 each including fitting which seems good for 215-45-17 w rated tyres.

Should I go with these or stick with a midrange branded tyre instead?

All I will say is that you have to remember that the contact patch of all 4 tyres combined total about a sheet of A4 paper.

It will depend on your driving style, the conditions and if you trust the tyres.

I would get a mid range tyre for the extra few quid it will cost and also get your tracking/alignment done to sort out your tyre wear

IMHO depends on how long you are keeping the vehicle. If you intend to keep it then probably good idea to get decent tyres. If you are changing the tyres to sell it......

:thumbsup:

Just discovered that one of my front tyres is badly worn on the inside edge and the other will need replacing soon.

I called a place I usually go to and they have suggested a budget tyre (focus unitrac 3000) at only £53 each including fitting which seems good for 215-45-17 w rated tyres.

It's your choice really but it sounds like you need it tracking anyway if the inside edge is wearing. The taxi drivers favourite in my area seems to be a mid range budget tyre by Nexen ( I did hear made by Continental but how true that is I don't know) and it comes in at around £60.00 at an independant tyre fitting bay for your size, they are also fitted by our local Toyota dealership so they can't be that bad. One taxi owner told me his Avensis got more mileage from the Nexens than the Goodyear NCT 5's and the handling in the wet or dry was very good.

As I said tyres are a personal choice based on your driving style and how deep your pockets are. Some people will only buy the most expensive famous brand believing they are getting the best but that may not always be the case.

Regards, Pete.

Beware of Budget tyres if you are keeping the car. A recent survey by Continental Tyres showed that cheap tyres took more metres to stop than theirs. Your life depends on them.

Fitter

Beware of Budget tyres if you are keeping the car. A recent survey by Continental Tyres showed that cheap tyres took more metres to stop than theirs. Your life depends on them.

Fitter

I went for Khumo tyres in the end for the sake of £17 more per tyre. The alignment on the front was way out so that is now sorted but I have been told that the rear needs minor adjustment when funds allow.

I could find absolutely no info on the budget tyres I was offered which is not a good sign. I get the feeling that they have bought them in bulk and are trying to shift them without much success.

Fitter

I went for Khumo tyres in the end for the sake of £17 more per tyre. The alignment on the front was way out so that is now sorted but I have been told that the rear needs minor adjustment when funds allow.

I could find absolutely no info on the budget tyres I was offered which is not a good sign. I get the feeling that they have bought them in bulk and are trying to shift them without much success.

Good choice mate, my son has Khumo on his Audi A6 and he is very happy, he is quite a spirited driver as well.:yes:

Pete.

Fitter

Good choice mate, my son has Khumo on his Audi A6 and he is very happy, he is quite a spirited driver as well.:yes:

Pete.

I had the same ones on my MG ZR and found them very good.

Nexen are Korean as are Kumho, but Kumho are a higher rated tyre it appears.

You might have made a good choice there, especially if you have prior experience with them.

I usually go for Goodyears, found them to be better than others ive used like Continental, which did not suit my car much at all.

Ive heard Vredestein are !Removed! good, (Dutch make) but on your size are cheapest at Around £104 a go!! Yikes. Thankfully my size are about £65... :)

Don't go for the budget tyres - the braking distance and handling is noticeably worse.

For a slight step up in cost there are some excellent tyres available, mainly from Falken and kumho.

It puts it into perspective when you realise that the tyres on my car are £310 each. £80 is nothing for a Falken. You won't regret it.

The tyres you were offered are made in China - My link. Check out www.mytyres.co.uk for tyres. I've replaced my original Bridgestones ER30's with Falken ZIEX ZE-912. I'm sure the Khumo's will be better than the Unitrac 3000.

Nexen are Korean as are Kumho, but Kumho are a higher rated tyre it appears.

You might have made a good choice there, especially if you have prior experience with them.

I usually go for Goodyears, found them to be better than others ive used like Continental, which did not suit my car much at all.

Ive heard Vredestein are !Removed! good, (Dutch make) but on your size are cheapest at Around £104 a go!! Yikes. Thankfully my size are about £65... :)

£70 each fitted for the khumos.

Don't go for the budget tyres - the braking distance and handling is noticeably worse.

For a slight step up in cost there are some excellent tyres available, mainly from Falken and kumho.

It puts it into perspective when you realise that the tyres on my car are £310 each. £80 is nothing for a Falken. You won't regret it.

£310 each??!! What size are they?

They are 19" Bridgestone Run flats - 255/30/19 91 Y XL

I take it that these are aftermarket wheels you have on your car?

I take it that these are aftermarket wheels you have on your car?

I don't have the toyota anymore but these wheels and tyres came as standard on the car :(

They look pretty good by they aint half expensive.

Anyway, they are coming off this week as my new wintrac exteme winter tyres have just arrived and i have a second set of alloys in the garage waiting. A bit more stomach-able at £530 for the set + fitting.