Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gen 6 Overheating Problem

dallypro

Hi

My Gen 6 2.0 GT has a strange overheating problem. I will try to describe it as clearly as possible, but i really do not know where to start with regards to fixing it.

1. The car started having overheating problems around 6 months ago. I narrowed this down to the radiator having a slight leak in the top left hand corner, on the seam. I fixed this using a metal resin which cured the problem.

2. During the original heating problem, it did lose a little bit water due to it bubbling through the seam.

3. The day before yesterday, the car overheated again. I opened the bonnet to find that my original repair had failed. I have since re-done the repair and sealed the small leak....but......and here is where it gets strange;

4. The car is still overheating, and i cannot get any heat to come out of the blowers unless.......

5. I undo the radiator cap. If i undo the radiator cap then the blowers stay cold until i accelerate hard. If i accelerate hard the blowers go very hot, and then return to cold when i back off. Also, the car does not overheat with the radiator cap off (no matter how it is driven. even stopped in traffic it was fine)

6. It is using a fair amount of water, which i am assuming i am losing in steam. If i drive the car hard, the temperature gauge does not overheat but when i stop there is a lot of steam coming out of the loose radiator cap.

Can you see why i am baffled?!?!?!

I have some basic knowledge on car maitainence, but this is the first time i have had an overheating problem........so please reply like i know nothing!!!

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can give.

Cheers

Hi

My Gen 6 2.0 GT has a strange overheating problem. I will try to describe it as clearly as possible, but i really do not know where to start with regards to fixing it.

1. The car started having overheating problems around 6 months ago. I narrowed this down to the radiator having a slight leak in the top left hand corner, on the seam. I fixed this using a metal resin which cured the problem.

2. During the original heating problem, it did lose a little bit water due to it bubbling through the seam.

3. The day before yesterday, the car overheated again. I opened the bonnet to find that my original repair had failed. I have since re-done the repair and sealed the small leak....but......and here is where it gets strange;

4. The car is still overheating, and i cannot get any heat to come out of the blowers unless.......

5. I undo the radiator cap. If i undo the radiator cap then the blowers stay cold until i accelerate hard. If i accelerate hard the blowers go very hot, and then return to cold when i back off. Also, the car does not overheat with the radiator cap off (no matter how it is driven. even stopped in traffic it was fine)

6. It is using a fair amount of water, which i am assuming i am losing in steam. If i drive the car hard, the temperature gauge does not overheat but when i stop there is a lot of steam coming out of the loose radiator cap.

I have some basic knowledge on car maitainence, but this is the first time i have had an overheating problem........so please reply like i know nothing!!!

Cheers

get a new radiator on it and fit a new cap may help . sounds like the system needs bleeding of air ?????

• 2 weeks later...

either that or a blown head gasket?? :blink:

is there any yellow-mustardy gunk in the coolant resovouire?

When was the water pump last done?

I'd fork out for a new radiator and bleed the system properly as it sounds like it has a bit of an air lock.

Either that or you've cooked the head gasket when it's been low on coolant and over heating

• 1 month later...

I would replace the radiator and the Thermos stat also be very careful about burping the system completely.

You can also have your local mechanic do a head gasket test to make sure your not get any HC's through the system before you go spending all that money, if your getting HC's (hydro carbons) AKA un burnt fuel vapors. through the cooling system this would indicate you melted the head gasket.

If your good there replace the RAD and T-STAT do a coolant flush make sure the heater core is not clogged and the water pump is circulating the coolant, after all that you should be good.

DO NOT USE ANY STOP LEAK EVER thats what clogs the heater core.

Hi

Cheers

hi MATEY

the result is clear -- OVERHEATING and no matter when it is happened -- at idle or ....

Now look -- the idea of cooling system is to have the heat taken off when system is under pressure --- as per thermodynamic law ---- the more pressure the more temperature -- what does it mean -- it means the coolant must not be boiled in all engine loads whether or not the engine wants it. OK now when you first put a plasticizer to prevent leak -- you ve admissed an air to be penetrated into the cooling system---and if an air have filled system it can be compressed by the same coolant but this minor compression will not allow the coolant to get boiled at higher temperature than normal boiling point (+100 C)-- as the result the coolant starts boiling early leading to overheating.

Now the following possible reasons leading to overheating must be considered, as follows:

- cooling pump failure (wear down; impeller etc);

- cooling pump driving belt sliding or so;

- thermostatic valve blocking;

- cylinder head gasket burning out;

- air pockets inside of cooling system (you have it now);

- heat exchanger (radiator)has too much dirt inside or its ribs outside are blocked by a road dirt;

- el.fan (if you have got as installed)- failure;

- el. fan control thermo sensor failure;

- poor el. contact belong to an el. fan control system;

- coolant low level inside the expansion tank;

- expansion tank lid gasket failure;

- radiator lid gasket failure

Start to investigate what is yours now as per above mentioned.

Good luck/Igor