Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How To Change Water Pump...?

jjj_aygo

Car is in 70k for service this morning...

Had a call to say that the drive shaft seal had gone and was leaking out oil so needed replacing... that's done.

Also the water pump has failed as I'm loosing coolant and it's staining... I know I can get one for around £70 but was wandering if anyone knew how to change the water pump themselves?

I'd rather do it myself and save a few £££ as I've already got enough coolant!

Thanks in advance for any help

James

Car is in 70k for service this morning...

Had a call to say that the drive shaft seal had gone and was leaking out oil so needed replacing... that's done.

Also the water pump has failed as I'm loosing coolant and it's staining... I know I can get one for around £70 but was wandering if anyone knew how to change the water pump themselves?

I'd rather do it myself and save a few £££ as I've already got enough coolant!

Thanks in advance for any help

James

Hi James.

I had mine changed for the mk2 version.

My wife had the mk3 version, the better "cast" one rather than pressed.

I did notice that this one was fitted with new bolts.

I presume they're slightly longer as the flange is thicker.

Budget for these If you buy the later pump.

From what I could see, it looked an easy DIY job.

(I would normally do stuff like this myself but both cars were under warranty).

From what I recall from glimpses at the dealership......

Turn steering full right lock.

jack up and make safe the car for better access.

Slacken drive belt & remove it. (Make a note of how tight it is first and also how it runs).

As my coolant was being replaced under warranty, the dealership just removed all the bolts

holding the pump in place and caught what coolant they could in a bucket then threw it away.

Make a note of which bolt went where as I don't know if they're all the same length.

Make sure the engine block has all traces of gasket / sealant removed.

Bolt up the new water pump. (i'm not sure if it is supplied with a new gasket or whether you use sealant).

Sorry, I can't give you the correct torque figures. Remember they're going into aluminium.

Aluminium is not made of hard, it is made of snap and soft.

Re-fit the drive belt and set to correct tension (Using, I presume the alternator adjuster).

Re-fill with coolant, turn heater to hot and bleed system.

Hope this is useful.

(If possible, catch and measure the quantity of coolant you lose

so that you know how much to re-fill with leaving no air in the system).

Ian.

If you look for aygo waterpump on eBay, all the ones I can see have the old pressed flange.

New pump flange......

IMG_1519.jpg

That's great thanks for all that info! :thumbsup:

Will see how much I can get the parts for and will go from there.

Thanks again!

James

Interesting stuff here for anyone,

would be great to have a comprehensive list of parts that have been updated, ie mk1 and mk2 etc and for what year models they fit and which would be best then people could insure only the best versions of a part is fitted to their car.

Anyone???

Mk 3 is the best and latest version... comes with different bolts, Unklian was right some are different lengths but all versions will fit! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Mk 3 is the best and latest version... comes with different bolts, Unklian was right some are different lengths but all versions will fit! :thumbsup:

Hi Guys!

Just wondered if you had a part number for this latest Genuine Toyota Mk 3 Aygo water pump please? I've spotted one on eBay and although the seller states "Brand new genuine Toyota aygo waterpump in box unopened. Updated version" I don't know if he's selling the Mk 2 updated version of the Mark 3 updated version, which is the one I obviously need.

Thank you.

Regards

JimmyR

The latest pump part number for later models (2005>)

Pump 16100-09530

Bolts 91551-00820 Qty 2

Bolt 91551-00845 Qty 1

Bolt 91551-00850 Qty 2

Kingo :thumbsup:

Pump 16100-09530

Bolts 91551-00820 Qty 2

Bolt 91551-00845 Qty 1

Bolt 91551-00850 Qty 2

Hi Kingo!

Wow, that was a super fast reply!

I'm assuming that this latest water pump (16100-09530) is a replacement part for all 1-litre petrol Aygos (mine being a 2006 1-litre manual) and that the bolts have to be ordered separately i.e. they won't come in the box with the new water pump? Is there a new gasket in the box too?

Thank you for your help.

Regards

JimmyR

Yes thats correct Jimmy, order a pump and it comes with a gasket, the bolts need to be ordered seperately

kingo :thumbsup:

Yes thats correct Jimmy, order a pump and it comes with a gasket, the bolts need to be ordered seperately

kingo :thumbsup:

Spot on Kingo! Your excellent information and assistance are much appreciated.

Regards

Jim

Pump 16100-09530

Bolts 91551-00820 Qty 2

Bolt 91551-00845 Qty 1

Bolt 91551-00850 Qty 2

I'm now really confused because there's a genuine Toyota Aygo water pump for sale courtesy of a Toyota Main dealer on eBay and the part number is completely different to the one above.

"GENUINE TOYOTA AYGO WATER PUMP PART NUMBER: SU001-00596 This is designed to fit a Toyota Aygo"

I have 'won' a separate brand-new/boxed genuine, Toyota Aygo water pump on eBay but I'm now not too sure which part number I should be looking for or why the part numbers are different. It's further described as the "updated version" and he's going to send me the part number later so I can check.

Regards

JimmyR

PS Just heard back from the eBay trader I won the water pump from and he has confirmed that the part number is indeed 16100-09530. You were bang on Kingo! I'm off to pay for it right now. :toast:

The part number SU001-00596 fits the 2WZTV engine, NOT the 1KRFE engine ;)

The part number SU001-00596 fits the 2WZTV engine, NOT the 1KRFE engine ;)

Phew, just as well I came here and had Kingo to guide me or I'd have bought the water pump for the 4 cylinder 1.4 litre diesel engine instead of the one for the 1 litre, 3 cylinder petrol engine. I'd have been blissfully unaware until I'd pulled the old one off and wondered why they looked different! :blink:

I must say that these forums are great for an Aygo virgin like myself.

• 2 months later...

If you have ended up here like me browsing water pump problems, this also applies to 1.0L 12v vvti Yaris mk2 as the (new) yaris and aygo share the same engine.

Without any doubt, buy the original Toyota part,from your local Toyota Dealer it is cheaper than a copy/pattern part.

Ignore the pattern parts on eBay as they are copies of the older water pump...ie Quinton Hazel QCP3631 etc..

Quinton hazel have made a new aluminium body version QCP3631 but that too is more expensive than Toyota.

Researching, I found that the last 2 figures of the Toyota part ref number for the bolts refer to their length in millimetres.

50mm, 45mm, and 20mm

For safetry reasons,Its a good idea to disconnect the Battery earth before starting work..

A 14mm socket is needed for the upermost main alternator pivot bolt (this can be quite tight), then 12mm for the alternator adjusting clamp bolts so that the drive belt can be removed first (vehicles with denso alternator).

Water pump bolts (x5) 12mm socket again.

When refitting the belt,make sure that the 6 ribs sit nicely within the pulleys dont be tempted to over tension the belt it as this will in time damage the alternator bearing set.

I found a good page with more pics (and cross reference with toyota part numbers) from a pattern part maker metelli spa (aka graf pumps) of italy.

http://www.graf.it/public/info_tecniche/Water-Pumps-Pompe-Acqua_1020.pdf

and the cross ref to other aftermarket manufacturers and oem part numbers at this page link below.

Click on the "AD Number" tab on this page.

http://www.metelli.com/en/dettaglio.php?c=24-1020&cm=24-1020&ds=Pompa%20Acqua&nm=Water%20Pump

Kingo, You are a star..Thanks for the help the other day.

It seems that there are only 2 versions of the pump, "the old leaky one" with thinner flange, and modified type with thicker aluminium flange.The original posting stated 3 versions....I was confused dot com and no mistake !

Kingo confirmed that there was a supply problem with the new pump at first so Toyota may have set up 2 or 3 different supply chains for the same part to stop future shortages.This creates 2 (or possibly more) Toyota part numbers, which are exactly the same part, which are the NEW style pump with thicker aluminium flange.

16100-80007 and 16100-09530 and both of these are exactly the same and require new type bolts if you are replacing "old leaky".

Always best to check with your Toyota dealers Electronic Parts Catalogue, just give them your vin number and they will supply you with the correct gear for your car...Trust him / her on this one, not your local motor factor or fleabay, steer clear ....it will cost you much less going original with Toyota.

Hope other members both aygo and yaris owners find the above useful.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links