Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Congestion Charge Implications

kavithakrar

Hi there all,

Completely new to all of this, so hello to all.

I have just taken delivery of a used 2009 prius. It is a 1.5 T-Spirit (Gen 2)

As far as I understand, the new rules of the Congestion charge will mean that this car will no longer be exempt from 2012... is that correct?

I am sure that this has already been discussed, so Mods please feel free to move to the relevant section

SO HAPPY TO BE A PRIUS Owner now!

Thanks

Kav

My understanding was that these were proposals and hadn't yet been agreed upon. I believe there are arguments to allow certain hybrids such as the gen2 Prius, though excluding the big Lexus ones.

If the new congestion charge does exclude the gen 2 Prius, then the second hand prices of these will bomb, though one of the reasons for the congestion charge - other than to make loads of money, is to reduce pollution in the centre of London. Now even the latest eco diesel with a CO2 below 100g/km will kick out loads more NOx than a gen2 Prius and NOx is the nasty one.

I'm sure others will have their comments.

You're right, diesels are terrible for NOx, even the very latest 'clean' diesels. In fact the very latest clean diesels sold in the US (where their emission legislation is much harsher than Europes) only just pass the emission requirements and these cars are cleaner than the ones sold in Europe.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that a Prius beats a 'clean' diesel by a factor of 10 or more. Anyone care to correct me here?

I have just taken delivery of a used 2009 prius. It is a 1.5 T-Spirit (Gen 2)

Welcome - I bought the same model in August and I am still smiling :lol:

Welcome to TOC. I px'd my gen2 for a gen3 about 5 weeks ago, the gen2 was good though. Enjoy!

Sadly TFL have agreed this and announced it on Wednesday and the 100g limit comes into force on 1st Jan. However if you have a over 100g hybrid now register it BEFORE the end of the year and you will be able to carry on exempt until the end of 2012.

Based on NOX its totally crazy. So much for air quality.

Quite apart from the c-charge, one of the reasons I'm going to go for a new Prius is to futureproof my wallet against the inevitable "green taxes" we'll be subjected to over the next few years. Road tax, company car tax, etc etc ... I can see 100g being a handy cut-off point above which everyone is going to get hammered on multiple fronts.

Quite apart from the c-charge, one of the reasons I'm going to go for a new Prius is to futureproof my wallet against the inevitable "green taxes" we'll be subjected to over the next few years. Road tax, company car tax, etc etc ... I can see 100g being a handy cut-off point above which everyone is going to get hammered on multiple fronts.

Yep me too. All used under the guise of helping protect the environment! lol

When I mention to some of my customers that I get zero road tax they say it won't last. They're probably right, but if road tax on cars under 100g/km gets increased to £50 a year all the others will be much higher.

Nothing to do with air quality or the environment generally. It's about generating income.

Nothing to do with air quality or the environment generally. It's about generating income.

I'll go along with that! Just like 'safety cameras'

Although I must say that anyone who lives outside London and drives in when they don't have to must be mad!!! Just imagine sitting in all that traffic every day, twice a day .... Ugh... I remember sitting on a train at limehouse crossing the A13 and seeing all the traffic sitting there not moving....

Ok if you need the car during the day or live there, but otherwise......

I thought it was about allowing the very rich easier movement within the charging zone, the CC tax was just a nice bonus to remind the rest of us of our place.

I thought it was about allowing the very rich easier movement within the charging zone, the CC tax was just a nice bonus to remind the rest of us of our place.

Oh bugger, I was hoping that the plebs hadn't noticed.... :angry:

On a serious note though, I retired from working in London only 2 years ago and frankly it made not a jot of difference, it was (is?) just as jammed and smelly as before the CC came in, simply a Ken Livingstone tax which has not been repealed by Boris.....