Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Boor Door Wont Open

marsbar989

Ok, the misses went to shut the boot door of our 1999 1.8 Avensis 5dr car. However she has got a handle of a cotton bag stuck in the lock so now the boot will not open. I can hear the central locking working fine. From inside the car, the cotton handle is firmly caught in the lock. Depressing the lock outside with or without the key in in the lock does nothing. How can I open the lock from the inside. If the bag is ruined it doesnt matter.

Many thanks

post-87813-043791500 1287924558_thumb.jp

post-87813-020220200 1287924576_thumb.jp

Ok, the misses went to shut the boot door of our 1999 1.8 Avensis 5dr car. However she has got a handle of a cotton bag stuck in the lock so now the boot will not open. I can hear the central locking working fine. From inside the car, the cotton handle is firmly caught in the lock. Depressing the lock outside with or without the key in in the lock does nothing. How can I open the lock from the inside. If the bag is ruined it doesnt matter.

Many thanks

Not sure of location on your model but there will be a manual release for the hatch behind a removable small panel on the centre of the inside of the door. You will have to access it from inside the car. It is usually a small square cover which prises off and exposes a lever that can be pushed to one side with a screwdriver to release the lock.

Fitter

post-66293-002292700 1287929556_thumb.jp

post-66293-079239600 1287929599_thumb.jp

thanks,

Found a plastic flap that exposes the holder for the number plate. There are two of these. The one on the left (as you sit in the car facing the boot door), you can see the metal rod that goes from the outside lock (where the key goes in). When the central locking is locked and unlocked does moves. But the boot still refuses to open.

thanks,

Found a plastic flap that exposes the holder for the number plate. There are two of these. The one on the left (as you sit in the car facing the boot door), you can see the metal rod that goes from the outside lock (where the key goes in). When the central locking is locked and unlocked does moves. But the boot still refuses to open.

When the central locking is de-activated does the hatch normally spring open or do you have to press a button on the car as well? If so you need to put some leverage on the lever that the button operates and give the hatch a bump up. If all else fails you may have to remove the inside trim to expose the lock and striker. The lock is held in by three bolts.

Fitter

no, when unlocked, you have to press the button in, (where the key could go) on the boot lock, to get the boot open.

I have removed some of the trim in the boot. Or do you mean the trim on the boot door? I think you can only remove this with the boot open.

no, when unlocked, you have to press the button in, (where the key could go) on the boot lock, to get the boot open.

I have removed some of the trim in the boot. Or do you mean the trim on the boot door? I think you can only remove this with the boot open.

It's difficult for me as I do not know the layout of your model but if you have trim from the car below the hatch off you should be able to get to the striker plate (the bar that the hook on the hatch catches on) and you should be able to free the hook with a screwdriver.

Fitter

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links