Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Preparing For Winter - Snow Socks Or Chains?

versofamily

After last year's spell of snow, we are looking into snow socks or chains. We live on a country lane, but not far from the motorway so we will be driving from ice/snow to tarmac if they continue to clear major routes. Has anyone experience of snow socks which look to be a better bet than having to fix snow chains?

we dont get much snow here but i think its best to have a second set of tyres if your worried bout it

some 4-5inch wide mud/snow tyres on steel rims

save ****** bout with chains

+1 - Winter tyres are what you want. These are not just for Snow - they start working better than normal tyres below about 7 deg C. Something like some Vredestein Snowtracs. Get them put on a standard set of steel rims or a cheap set of alloys off eBay

Alternatively buy a package from this lot : http://www.mytyres.co.uk/Steel_wheels.html

Thanks - stupid question, but I assume that I need to replace all four tyres. Has anyone done that regularly? My sister lives in Norway and it is standard practice over there that you must move to winter tyres on a set day, but they have lots of snow and ice so its the norm. It seems more unusual here though with last winter as it was, I'm beginning to think that it is a false economy to do anything other than change tyres.

A cheap set of alloys with a set of snow tyres is a good bet, you just need to take off the original wheels and put on the spare set for a few months.

Yes the weather was bad last year but in all my 35 years in the motor trade, the amount of times we have needed snow tyres/chains is minimal. In fact chains are a faff to be messing around with, a spare set of wheels/tyres is the way to go if you are worried, as per usual, I will be taking pot luck ;)

Kingo :thumbsup:

A cheap set of alloys with a set of snow tyres is a good bet, you just need to take off the original wheels and put on the spare set for a few months.

Yes the weather was bad last year but in all my 35 years in the motor trade, the amount of times we have needed snow tyres/chains is minimal. In fact chains are a faff to be messing around with, a spare set of wheels/tyres is the way to go if you are worried, as per usual, I will be taking pot luck ;)

hi kingo

chap near me used snow socks last winter on his vw and swears by them.if you have front wheel drive then they only need be fitted to the front tyres,but if rear wheel drive then they need to be fitted to all tyres.this is the web address he gave me www.autosocks.co.uk.i was thinking if you go buying winter tyres and wheels for your car then its going to cost a great deal more plus when you change your car are these winter tyres and wheel going to fit the new car.if the socks dont fit your new car you have not lost that much.

Yes I can see an advantage (cost alone) in fitting a snow sock, but would you want to be taking them on/off all the time? I presume they would need to be removed as they wont last long left on. The only time I have ever been stuck was in a recovery truck when I had to collect an Austin Maxi (remember them?) that had frozen itself into the ground when a customer had been up to a bit of "Secretarial bashing" in a snowy field one night :rolleyes: I had to go into a snowy field and the 4WD truck got stuck for a while, til I dug the old girl out (the truck not the secretary) :lol:

I would prefer to keep the money in my pocket and risk it ;)

Yes I can see an advantage (cost alone) in fitting a snow sock, but would you want to be taking them on/off all the time? I presume they would need to be removed as they wont last long left on. The only time I have ever been stuck was in a recovery truck when I had to collect an Austin Maxi (remember them?) that had frozen itself into the ground when a customer had been up to a bit of "Secretarial bashing" in a snowy field one night :rolleyes: I had to go into a snowy field and the 4WD truck got stuck for a while, til I dug the old girl out (the truck not the secretary) :lol:

I would prefer to keep the money in my pocket and risk it ;)

hii kingo

yes i remember the maxi,very roomy car if i remember correctly.if the chap in question had done his secretarial bashing nearer the car the temp from his activities would have prevented any chance of his car getting stuck. im told that the socks are very easy to fit,i suppose you only fit them when thing are realy bad,and to get you out of trouble, as with chains,i bet these are noisey in use.

Yes chains are noisy and are OK in snowy conditions but as soon as the roads improve and the snow is gone, you need to remove them

If you ever seen the damge a broken flailing snow chain can do to the bodywork of a car you would definitely go for snow tyres.:)

• 1 month later...

Just thought you'd like to know I went for snow socks - sadly arrived after the first bout of snow in the SE but have used them today for the first time and they are great. Easily (and safely) went up icy/snowy hills that even some 4x4 were struggling with.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links