Do Not Sell My Personal Information

St205 To At200 Or St202 Transplant

Kubiekdriehoekje

I'm looking into converting a LHD ST202 or AT200 into a GT4 using a RHD ST205 from either England or Japan. For those who want to know why this blasphemy, taxes and insurrance. :)

The plan is to use only dutch registered AT200 or ST202 Shell in the same colour as the ST205 donor and transplant al parts (except for the LHD parts) onto it. Now the big question: Would this be possible or are there to many differences between the bodies? Like do the AT200 and ST202 have the axel tunnel for the 4WD system etc?

It's been done before, BUT it's one hell of a job. If I can find the link I'll post it up.

Been reading about the chassis not being the same, the tunnel is wider and the awd has more structual differences. Don't think I want to settle for a compromise...

Already mentioned is the fact that the AllTrac structurally was built like a tank, a shell within a shell.

Structurally it shares nothing with its NA FWD brother.

The front bulkhead has a larger transmission tunnel and set further back for a larger rack and pinion.

The center tunnel is wider to accept the transfer case and center drive shaft, mounting points for the sway bar are in different locations, same is for the rack and pinion.

The front floor plan is narrower cause of the wider tunnel, mounting locations for the seats are different; the seat belt lock is incorporated into the seat instead of bolted to the tunnel.

The rear floor plan is completely different in regards to the fuel tank, under the spare tire well back from under the rear seats. The spare tire well sits higher. The rear seats have the ABS controlling unit under them as well as the sub frame for the rear end assembly.

The rear bumper re-bar has mounting locations further apart.

There is significant added metal structurally bracing in the rear sections of the car i.e. all around the rear strut towers.

The brake, fuel lines and exhaust system is completely different.

It has been said that you can take out the whole rear sub frame from an AllTrac and not have any adverse effects on handling, steering, traction or ride comfort.

That is how strong Toyota built them.

there was a guy in greece did it.

as the rear floor and chassis is different (boot floor is higher in the GT4) he had to swap the whole floor pan !!

very big job and lots of cash needed

Yes, I've been reading that the best way is to just exchange the firewall for a LHD conversion and just pay your taxes...

Could you not swap the firewall and chassis plates etc? Majorly illegal but if your asking these questions your not exactly sticking with the letter ofthe law.

Either that or just change the engine from a rear clip MR2

In the Netherlands you can put a bigger engine in your car (<1996) and have it changed in the registry. RHD to LHD conversion is cheaper than buying a LHD orginal, simply due to the ammounts of RHD units (SW20 GT and ST205) produced.

Furthermore the taxes one avoids by building onto an exsiting chassis is called BPM. This is a >40% tax on the bare vehicle price, followed by a 19% BTW tax (vat). When importing a vehicle (and registering) from the UK no BTW is due, but a percentage of the BPM is! When importing from Japan, BPM (percentage), BTW and import taxes are due.

For insurance, you will need to let them know that there is another engine in the car and they will probably change the costs. But this could be lower than that for a original ST205 (like the SW20 converted to kitcars in the UK).

When doing just a LHD conversion on a ST205 it will keep it's identity and taxes are due. This is, after reading about the diffs between ST202 and ST205 chassis, I will probably do (if a SW20 tintop is to small aswell).

• 11 years later...