Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav 4 Problem

Bigrubsie

Hi Guys, as a new member I hope I am doing this correctly. I have a Rav4 D 4 D estate and am delighted with it as I have changed from the Avensis but I have a small problem with a strange noise from what I believe was a fault on the fuel filter head . The Garage replaced it eight months ago but the fault has returned and I believe the part is under a years guarantee but can the garage charge me for time for replacing it again. At £55 an hour plus v a t. it aint cheap. Many thanks Bigrubsie. [ this fault shows up on u tube under strange noise from Rav 4 d4d.]

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, and regards to all, especially Anchor man for his excellent advice and prompt reply. I have had my Rav d4d back in to the local dealer and had the fuel filter head replaced again to stop the howling noise, but once again it has started howling again after one day , and being a [senior citizen as they call us now ] I neither have the time or cash to keep paying for this part to be replaced. One would assume that this being an obvious fault in this car, Toyota would have had a recall on it and had the problem resolved, but as usual it's probably all about money and if you can get the customer to pay for their mistakes all the better. Having bought six Toyota's over the last twelve years, I am a bit miffed that when I took the car to the local dealer, they informed me that they had been in touch with Toyota and that they were not prepared to pay for the replacement part , as this had been replaced previously, to which I can only reply, that if this is the way you are treating your faithful customers, then all I can say is, good bye Toyota, I will never buy another of your cars and I know I wont make one bit of difference as an individual to your sales, and that you wont loose any sleep with regards to my business, so best of luck to you in the future, and perhaps one of these days, you might get some one in charge of your company, who will care and respect your faithful customers, and admit and correct faults in your cars and upkeep the name of Toyota which stood for quality and service which sadly is no longer true.

Goodbye Toyota

Bigrubsie [Reuben Durning ]

I know just how you feel but just take care in getting rid of your Avensis that could be shooting yourself in the foot Most European brands like Ford, Vauxhall, VW and the likes will set you back more than your Avensis does in terms of repairs unless you are very lucky.

Yoour repairing garage hasn't done you any favours in just changing the filter head as they should have question the part with whoever they bought it and if it is Toyota then even more so.

Just try something else. When it is making the noise, go and slacken the fuel cap enough to let that initial rush of air in and see what happens. Then report back or if you pm me I will contact you to discuss what to do next.

Ask the garage to keep the old filter head that they have just removed.

Hi Anchorman, many thanks for your reply, I slackened off the fuel cap while the noise was present, but it made no difference at all, I phoned the dealer and was told they would have the car in again and try and get to the root of the problem, which I have no faith in, as due to this noise they,

1. said it was coming from the clutch area, so they renewed the clutch and crown wheel.

2. next it was coming from the water pump, so they replaced it.

3. then they thought it was the power steering pump, so it was replaced

4. next it was from the Turbo, so it was replaced.

5. could be the timing belt, so it too was replaced.

6. they then thought it might be caused by a loose bearing in the turbo, so were intending to replace it again.

7. The car was then taken to another branch and was fitted with a fuel filter head/

A few Months later the fault reoccurred and I returned to the garage where they fitted a replacement fuel filter head and the following day the fault appeared again, so it would appear that we are back to square one, and fortunately apart from the last visit I was covered by insurance but had to pay for loan cars while my Rav was in the garage. I don't know yet where I stand with regards to paying out more money to have this fault repaired [again] or perhaps I will take legal advice or write to the Sunday Post newspaper readers page and highlight the service [or lack of] which I have received, Apart from the expense, side of it, it is most inconvenient to have the car off the road so often and I think I have had just about enough trouble with it, which is a great shame, as I think my Rav is a great car to drive and if this problem was cured, I would have very many enjoyable miles out of it still.

Cheers Bigrubsie

due to this noise they,

1. said it was coming from the clutch area, so they renewed the clutch and crown wheel.

2. next it was coming from the water pump, so they replaced it.

3. then they thought it was the power steering pump, so it was replaced

4. next it was from the Turbo, so it was replaced.

5. could be the timing belt, so it too was replaced.

6. they then thought it might be caused by a loose bearing in the turbo, so were intending to replace it again.

7. The car was then taken to another branch and was fitted with a fuel filter head/

Cheers Bigrubsie

Ahh but they never changed interior light bulb did they :rolleyes:

Seriously, don't lose faith with the car and don't fall out with your garage just yet - you need them at the moment.

Is this a Toyota garage or an independent? If it is a Toyota garage, you would hope that they would have enough knowledge or resource to get to the bottom of it but if not, you have to admit that these noises are extremely difficult to pinpoint. If you walk around the engine it kind of moves about so most mechanics would change the parts that experience tells them are capable of generating such a sound and all of those listed are likely candidates.

Now to that noise. I have not actually heard one other than the youtube clip. There have been other cars in the past that have generated such a "mooing" and they have invariably been traced to something resonating somewhere. You can improvise a stethoscope and you will be astonished what you can hear. If you get a really big screwdriver and put it on various parts of the engine you will hear all sorts of things when you push your ear onto it. You can single out bearings in water pumps and alternators etc. Here is a purpose made one that you can buy cheap as chips as Dave D would say;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mechanic-Stethoscope-Extension-Car-Recorded-Post-/150455548307?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2307d97993

It might pay you to buy one if you haven't got a big screwdriver - just be dead carefull when working near rotating parts. If you listen to various parts when it is making the noise you might just be able to hear it doing it. Keep moving around and listen to the parts but start with the fuel filter head then the fuel pump and the common rail. A valve that is worn may make that noise - it has fuel coursing through it at 1500 bar. A valve could also be in the fuel cap (which is why I asked you to check it) and the air intake and on the pressure side after the turbo.

You also need to check that new filter head with Kingo as there have been various mods to it and you need the latest version.

These things can be most frustrating and drive you to distraction especially when the cost of repairs start to chase the value of the vehicle but keep your chin up and if you need to kick ***** do it after the car is sorted :thumbsup:

Good reply, and many thanks,I went to the Garage today, and they are going to take the car in on Monday and keep it for a couple of days and give me a free loan of a car for the two days to see if they can get to the bottom of the problem. so here's hoping they find something, as I am fond of the Rav and apart from the annoying noise it runs well, [as the saying goes] watch this space. Kind regards Bigrubsie...

Hi Guys,

I just got the Rav back tonight and will give it a good run tomorrow to see if the howling noise has been cured, I was charged £106 for a fuel heater which I am told is attached to the fuel pump filter and that is where the noise was originating from. However if that what it takes to sort the problem, then I will be happy and enjoy my Rav again. The mechanic [John White] with Arnold Clark, is a gem of a Man and probably the best technician with that Company, so here's hoping that my problem has been solved once and for all. As I can't see past Toyota, I am prepared to accept the occasional fault, as no car or any other mechanical device is perfect and we must accept that

faults will crop up from time to time, but I wish the faults would crop up a bit further away from Christmas as being a [senior Citizen] I could do without the expense at this time of year. But enough of my moaning, it's a pleasure to have a great car and I hope to have many more happy miles from it.

All the best to you all

Bigrubsie...