Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hilux 4X4 Turning Issues

vaneckt

Hi,

I have a brand new 2010 Hilux invincible manual and when I put it in 4x4High or 4x4Low, it doesn't want to turn. When I pull away and turn left or right, it feels like the handbrake is up, when I put the clutch in it seems to stop like I put my for on the brake. I was thinking this could be a diff lock issue, but I cannot find anything in the manual that tells you that you can manually switch a diff lock on or off. I also cannot see any indication that the diff lock is engaged?

Before I take it back to Toyota, I just want to make sure it is a fault, and not something daft I'm doing wrong. Initially I thought it might have been because it's brand new, but I have 1000 on the clock now and still the same behavior?

Anyone experience anything similar?

Thanks,

Hi,

I have a brand new 2010 Hilux invincible manual and when I put it in 4x4High or 4x4Low, it doesn't want to turn.

That is completely normal when in 4 wheel drive and is why you don`t use 4wd on the road because it doesn`t allow slip and you will end up with axle wind up and a knackered diff.

Thanks for clearing that up. By slip, do you man the front diff is locked, and it's not a limited slip diff like the one in the rear axle?

The manual recommends you drive it in 4x4 for 10 miles a month to keep the parts lubricated, best find a long straight road somewhere, or some off road area.

Thanks for clearing that up. By slip, do you man the front diff is locked, and it's not a limited slip diff like the one in the rear axle?

The manual recommends you drive it in 4x4 for 10 miles a month to keep the parts lubricated, best find a long straight road somewhere, or some off road area.

No the wheels have to be able to `slip`

The reason is that when 4wd is engaged, you are driving front and rear axles at the same speed all the time - when you corner the front and rear must be driven at different speeds as they take a different track. This causes tension built up within the whole of the drive train and if then, tension is not released it keeps on building up until something gives.

at every start of the month i drive with my 2002 on a straight road in 4x4 to keep things lubricated. i have no problems. on that same part of the road i also drop it in and out 4x4 as it's leading to a traffic light so it stop start traffic.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links