Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Minor Coolant Loss

kevin65

After the last service on my wife's 2008 2.0L petrol Rav 4, I noticed that the coolant was at the Low mark in the plastic resevoir(I can't remember if it was at this point before the service). I decided to top it up a little bit, so brought the level up about 1-2 cm above the Low level. After a couple of weeks it was back to the Low mark, so I topped it up again and this morning I checked and it was again at the Low level.

I was wondering if there might be a minor coolant leak? I noticed some white residue on the underside of the resevoir cap, would some coolant be escaping here?

Thanks,

Kevin

Kev,

Although mine is an older version it has always run on the lower level mark.

Del

I wouldn't expect a 2008 VVTi to lose any coolant. I presume it is under warranty so take it in and let them look. If it stinks sickly inside the car or the windows mist up it could be the heater. Other than that, the usual places under the bonnet - radiator for stone damage, water pump etc. Let Mr T see ASAP.

My water pump on number 2 RAV has recently failed = replaced. There were a few drops of water under car each day but not that much...but it got slowly worse to the point where it was starting to overheat so a visit to the garage found a water pump worn out. However the car is a 1994 model running a 1994 turbo engine and I didn't get water pump replaced when we did the conversion. So your 2008 model should not be enjoying any coolant problems at all. And with the winter here, get the garage to check the anti-freeze. Its been -4C already here.

Hi

Check that there are no 'air bubbles' in header tank when engine is running, I'm living with this problem, might be tiny hole in head gasket.

mike

Thanks for the replies. There are no obvious signs of leakage, and it doesn't seem to ever go below the min level, but I'll book into the main dealer for a look. The quantity is very small, just a few cc, but I don't want to take any chances.

The warranty is up next January so won't leave it too long. It's had the brake master cylinder replaced already under warranty. Don't make them like they used to me thinks.

Thats it - let them look then at least you have registered your concern. What happened with the master cylinder?

I noticed what looked like a small leak of brake fluid at the end of the brake master cylinder, so I mentioned it when the car was booked in for its last service. The dealer said there were seals that needed to be replaced and were keen to get it fixed ASAP. It looked like the master cylinder and servo were replaced.

Probably a good thing while under warranty although they can remain damp for many years without developing into anything significant. The main thing is you don't have to worry about it now.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links