Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aerial Whipped!

gar

Some little thief has stolen my aerial off the roof of my car...

Dilema: Do I buy a new one? Get a second hand one or do unto others as they have done to me?

I am not really into nicking one back but loathe to give Mr. T another lump of cash for something so simple. I had a quote from them for £30 but had a similar item from a Citroen dealer costing £5, WITH POSTAGE!!

I would have had one of theirs for the Yaris but it takes a smaller thread than the Citroen aerial mast. (I got it for someones Pug) That was a genuine part, too not a copy!

I have had a look on eBay but seen none listed so I guess I need to keep trying or ask if someone here has the part from either a damaged car or if they replaced theirs with a fancy-pants bee-sting one.

I need the long, thin type that goes on the FRONT of the roof, not the shorter, twisty type from the rear of later cars.

As an aside, the Citroen dealer was telling me about Mr.T's desire to overcharge... He said he needed a door check strap for a car but had to order one as he was out of stock. The wait was a few days but they needed the car fixed so went to Toyota as the Aygo, Pug and Citroen all have the same body parts, to a degree. He lists them for around £13 but Toyota sell them for around TWICE that price for exactly the same bit!

If you or anyone you know owns an Aygo, try a Citroen dealer for spares before parting with your money!

BTW, This dealer also sold me a nice stubby aerial from a Citroen, that fits my VW based Skoda Fabia and it was only about a fiver. He said many BMW owners get them from him, too! It will most likely fit the newer rear aerial Yarisisisis!

What's the chance of you getting one from a scrappy? Be much cheaper if you have a local one!

You can get the screw on aerial sticks from eBay for just a couple of quid - they are all the same screw fitting....

I got a short stubby one to replace a longer Toyota stick because the garage door fouled the longer original....

Try some scrap yards and breakers mate. They should be able to help you. I'll also have a look in my boot for mine and if I can find it I'll post it to you. I don't use it as my radio doesn't work!

You can get the screw on aerial sticks from eBay for just a couple of quid - they are all the same screw fitting....

I got a short stubby one to replace a longer Toyota stick because the garage door fouled the longer original....

Alf, are they in a pack with different screw adaptors and sizes and just one small beesting ariel?

Also do they work ok? I was looking at similar a few weeks ago but they may be different to what you bought. :unsure:

Several years ago, the aerial on my wife's Corsa got nicked.

Went to local car accessories shop and bought a generic one for a couple of quid.

Last year before we took the Corsa to the Toyota dealers, to purchase a new Yaris using the scrappage scheme, I removed the aerial.

Later tried it on the Yaris and it fits. So now have a spare.

Don't know if this works for all manufacturers/models.

No, even the same manufacturer changes the thread sizes from time to time... The Yaris was an m5, same as my Skoda and many VW's but the Aygo, though looking similar, uses an m6 thread. Some have male, others female threads on the whip, too. I wanted to keep the standard look, not fit a stubby and as the car has such a thin base anyway, the wider based ones I have tried from the Skud look daft! I have tried breakers on eBay but even though they say if you bid, you win a wheel nut, fuse, etc, not one replied offering the aerial, except a seller who had his missing anyway!

Too small a thing for them to bother with, I guess!

Cherry, did you find your one? If so, how much would you want to post it to me? Perhaps we can do a deal.