Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coolant Top Up. 5 Litres Only Si.

Tafia

Hi folks,

Went to the Toyota dealer to buy a litre of coolant for the Corolla, which needs a top up. I was surprised to find the level so low as it had a new cam belt and water pump a few weeks ago and presumably the level was correct then. My Honda hasn't needed a top up in the years I have owned it!

Anyway, I asked for a litre of coolant and was told I could only buy 5 litres!! "I don't need 5 litres, I just need a small top-up" said I. "Sorry, we only sell 5 litre packs" said the service chappie.

How mad is that? Anyone know if what he says is correct? What do others do when a top-up is needed? I don't want to mix any other make of coolant as I hear it could cause corrosion or seal problems?

Cheers

T.

definately don't mix coolant always use the same type. how much top up does it need, just use water.

Hi folks,

Went to the Toyota dealer to buy a litre of coolant for the Corolla, which needs a top up. I was surprised to find the level so low as it had a new cam belt and water pump a few weeks ago

Hi,

Would think it was not properly filled when you had the new pump fitted and now the air lock has gone out and left the level low or you have an leak.

Either way I would take it back to the garage that did the work and have it checked and they should use their / the same antifreeze to top up if all is ok - FOC of course. - was it Mr T ?

you can get 1 ltr top ups from toyota but get them to do it dont pay

Many thanks to all for your responses.

Cheers

T.

• 3 months later...

sorry to bring up an old thread, but is that Halfords long life pink ok to use? not checked coolant for a while and am a bit paranoid about it lol if its low should i just top it up with this?

Just use de-ionized water if it's just a bit low and you're not sure.