Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Avensis Headlights

carinfront

Hello folks,

Toying with the idea of changing my 2004 T3-X for a tasty looking new style 2009 model.

All good so far, tempted by better mpg on the petrol 1.8, great looks and so on, TR spec looks great, but wondered if there any opinions of the quality of the headlights on the new model? The previous model as I am sure alot of people know had issues with the build quality of the units (melting connectors etc) and also, more importantly the strength of the light thrown onto the road. Is there an improvement on the new model? It is not a deal breaker by any stretch, but just interested to know if Mr T made improvements there.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

i have the 2010 avensis tourer t4 with standard lights and they are fine, excellent on full beam and dipped much better than my previous car a Jaguar estate.

had the car since june this year and thus far very pleased, only issue i have had is a slight movement from the seat which was sorted under warranty.

gearbox is notchy but i am getting used to it and also now getting used to electronic parking brake.

if you need to know anything else pm me.

Robin

I am picking my TR up next week, I don't suppose you know off the top of your head the headlight bulbs are in the 2010? H7? H11?

Thanks Thermal, I can whip my HID kit out of the Prius and transplant it into the Avensis :thumbsup:

Thanks for info Headhurts,

Any other owners out there with an opinion on the quality of light output on the new Avensis?!

Cheers

• 4 months later...

A relation of mine has just bought a new Avensis 2.0 D-4D with 500 miles on the clock.

He asked me to take it for a spin and see if I could spot anything wrong. I found that the dipped beam was very poor - which is what he wanted me to confirm.

It would be dangerous to drive at more than 30 mph. I could see no more than 30 metres compared to 100+metres in my 10yr old Vectra

Is this a problem with the new Avensis?

Looking at other posts it seems to have been a problem with previous models

Can anyone advise, other than a visit to the Toyota dealer

A relation of mine has just bought a new Avensis 2.0 D-4D with 500 miles on the clock.

He asked me to take it for a spin and see if I could spot anything wrong. I found that the dipped beam was very poor - which is what he wanted me to confirm.

It would be dangerous to drive at more than 30 mph. I could see no more than 30 metres compared to 100+metres in my 10yr old Vectra

Is this a problem with the new Avensis?

Looking at other posts it seems to have been a problem with previous models

Can anyone advise, other than a visit to the Toyota dealer

Have already posted on this but in my opinion the headlights are fine, the main beam is incredible which may make the dipped seem poor in comparison.

I had a new Vectra in 2006 and would not say the lights on dipped were better, the Avensis lights are very bright but they do have sharp cut offs at edge of beam which I assume is to comply with lighting laws.

I'm running a new TR Avensis, the dipped beam is fine and main beam is superb!

Kingo :thumbsup:

I'm running a new TR Avensis, the dipped beam is fine and main beam is superb!

Kingo :thumbsup:

Seconded, 10K Miles in mine over Winter, mostly out on a Sunday night from home in Warrington to work in Inverness, Oban or Aberdeen and no issues with the lights. Dipped beam is very good (I do have a HID kit fitted but to be fair the normal bulbs where fine).

They have done a great job on the unlit A9 up to Inverness or around Loch Lomond on the way round to Oban in the wee hours of the morning. The wiring is sound and I have no issues with headlight misting either.