Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Problems With 54 Plate Yaris Cutting Out.

sparker14

Hey guys... would really appreciate somehelp with a problem which is driving me crazy!

i have a 54 plate toyota yaris t3 d4d. its a 1.4 diesel. its starting to cut out on me when pulling off. when i start to pull of at junctions it seems to completely loose power, it tries to go but cant and after a few seconds just completely cuts out. it does it sometimes if i slow down to turn a corner but mainly when pulling off at lights or roundabouts. it has once cut out when just sat ticking over.. was sat waiting in a car park and all of a sudden it chocked and cut off. when the car cuts out it doesnt start straight away.. sometimes it starts after a few minutes.. sometimes it can take upto 10. it seems to be getting harder to start everytime. sometimes the car can run for weeks and not once cut out. today i drove 3 miles to town and it cut out 9 times. theres no pattern or routine to it. the fault code comes on but will also go off by itself. my brother plugged a diagnostic into the car to read the fault code. it said there was a fuel starvage in the system. it gave 5 options to check that would cause this and no problem was found with any of these.. although i dont no what they were. the car has been to the toyota garage and they could come up with no answers for me.. they changed all the filters and oil and put some cleaner in the fuel tank. none of this helped the problem.

the car has been looked at by various mechanics and im pretty confident theres no major problem with the car... but obviously something is causeing the car to cut out... if anyone has any suggestions as to why it would be doing this it would be greatly appreciated... this problem is so frustrating especially when it cuts out at every junction i come to on a bad day!

This sort of thing seems to be common on dervs which only get used in city driving. When was the last time you took it on a long abusive run on motorway? :D

Injector clog and EGR clog seem to be the two main issues with D4Ds, with the fuel filter being the only other thing that sounds like it might be worth checking.

Injector clog can be helped with various injector cleaning additives. Blocked EGR has to be manually cleaned. Fuel filter is also a garage job.

When I used to notice a power drain on mine, I'd run the tank to almost empty and then brim it with some Shell Diesel V-Power and go for a full-throttle joyride on the motorway in 4th gear :P

That spins the turbo up nicely and helps blast and burn the crap out of the EGR, and also helps burning off any crud on the injectors along with the cleaning agents in the V-Power.

Might be worth a go, and is cheaper than a garage trip :thumbsup:

How many miles has it done?

How many miles in a year?

An EGR clean is easy and takes 30 minutes...

Will not give fault codes..

the fuel filter was changed a few months ago and im pretty sure the injectors have been cleaned but i will check the EGR! i do drive on the motor way to work daily... not very far but i do get my foot down seeing as im always running late!

the car has done 80k mileage... at a guess id say maybe 8-10 thousand miles a year!

thanks for the suggestions though i will see if it makes any difference!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links