Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Probably A Silly Question

Jike

When do you need to turn the Traction Control switch off?

Unless you're a Top Gear presenter I can't see any reason.

When you need to crawl along in the snow.

And yes when you want to drive like a n-o-b.

Thanks for that. :thumbsup: I'd heard about the snow but couldn't figure how it helped. Me being thick I suppose.

Thanks for that. :thumbsup: I'd heard about the snow but couldn't figure how it helped. Me being thick I suppose.

The theory is that when you are stuck, your VSC will cut power so often because every movement is perceived to be a skid that you will never be able to leave the spot, and in practice it feels like your car is coughing and spluttering (best way i can explain it) but never turns the wheel.

Not at all, the whole idea is counter intuitive as you'd think you would want VSC in the snow. Yes, if you are able to drive it in the first place... No, if you are stuck.

I can confirm the 'snow' answer as i have found this to be a problem on one of my previous cars.

I had a Peugeot 307 HDI for a short while, and one winter i could not get out of my cul-de-sac because the TCS kept killing the power as soon as the wheels spun. There was no switch to turn the TCS off.

In my next car, a SEAT Leon FR TDI i had the same issue, but was able to turn TCS off, and i span gently out of the deep stuff and onto a gritted road and was able to drive away safely with the TCS back on.

Another occasion is if you ever put your car on a rolling road, as i found out in the same 307. Had to remove a fuse, which logged a fault, and killed the power.

• 5 weeks later...

The theory is that when you are stuck, your VSC will cut power so often because every movement is perceived to be a skid that you will never be able to leave the spot, and in practice it feels like your car is coughing and spluttering (best way i can explain it) but never turns the wheel.

Not at all, the whole idea is counter intuitive as you'd think you would want VSC in the snow. Yes, if you are able to drive it in the first place... No, if you are stuck.

Sorry I cocked the earlier post up.

Back to the point.......

Erm a bit embarrasing as this might be a stupid question, but can I turn the Traction Control on while the car is moving? :)

Yes, you can turn it on or off as the car is moving, and you will get a light on the dash to warn you that it is off.

Just be aware that if you turn it off, and then you are involved in an accident, when the insurance check the ECU for the data prior to the accident, they will find out that it was turned off and invalidate your warranty.

Worth remembering in this weather.

Another silly question, where is the traction control switch?

Spirit only? So am i right in guessing the TR has no traction control?

Yes, you can turn it on or off as the car is moving, and you will get a light on the dash to warn you that it is off.

Just be aware that if you turn it off, and then you are involved in an accident, when the insurance check the ECU for the data prior to the accident, they will find out that it was turned off and invalidate your warranty.

Worth remembering in this weather.

Thanks for that. This morning it was flashing like mad (weather) so I turned it off and it handled better. Anyway, discretion being the better part of valour I returned home, parked up, and caught the bus. :)

I have just got in from putting mine to the test.

I like to see how the car responds to loss of traction, so if i really need it (hopefully i won't) i know what to expect.

I found a very icy road that has no traffic, cars or anything else on it, and tried hard to get the car to slideways.

I have to admit, it works pretty well. just as the car starts to slide, the electrics kick in and the car straightens up.

Knowing it works well is a relief in the current weather.