Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo Clutch - How Long Should It Last

nicolli

I've just had to put my Aygo in fro a new clutch after 38k miles. Previous car was a Mazda 626 which did at least 80k miles before a new clutch was needed. Is this common for an Aygo (I don't do much driving in traffic)

My clutch starting making strange sounds at the end of the warranty, so when I mentioned this to the garage, they swapped the clutch - seems early to me but not uncommon on Aygo's. All of my other cars have never needed a new clutch in my time owning them.

• 4 months later...

There is an earlier thread on here about the clutch problem in Aygos and Toyota are well aware of it apparently. Mine is going and the car has only done 35000 miles. I rang Toyota Customer Relations and have booked it in for a diagnostic test. They said they will 'help' towards the cost if they find out it is a fault and not normal wear and tear. Read the earlier thread about clutch problems. There have been Toyota Service Bulletins published about this. I will be going armed with all this info (supplied on previous thread) when I take my car in. It is ridiculous to have to replace a clutch on a car that has only done 30000 miles. Some owners have had to replace theirs at much lower mileages.

Clutches can be rather tetchy as it can really depend on a number of factors such as driving style, too high a gear for engine revs (labouring) and previous owners to name a few.

Don't know about the Petrol, however I test drove 3 different Diesels before buying and I noticed the biting point was at the same position on all and one had 98k on the clock.

It is possible that the clutch was since replaced however I dont recall seeing any receipts or anything recorded in the log book.

Any one else noticed their biting point is really high?

Dan, the bite point was very high when I bought my Aygo. It had 9K on the clock and was 18 months old. I was told by a mechanic yesterday that the bite gets higher as the clutch gets more worn. Don't know if this rule applies to Aygos as they all appear to have high clutch bites. Anyway, I had mine replaced yesterday after 35K miles. Despite having my car booked in with Toyota mid April for them to 'investigate' the clutch I decided to pay for it all myself as the garage only charged me £300 all in and the new one comes with a 2 year warranty. I read somewhere that Toyota dealers charge in the region of £680 to fit and supply an Aygo clutch. Even if Toyota contributed 50% of the cost it would still be more than I paid yesterday (and I doubted they would pay that much as the car is out of warranty now). The mechanic yesterday said he was aware of problems with the Aygo clutches and the replacements ones are now bigger so should not wear down as quickly as the older ones.

Thanks for the info Tilly.

I have 38k on my Aygo now and bought it with about 31k. Apparently newer cars use hydraulic clutches (Dunno about the Aygo) and these have a much shorter life than the standard clutches, however I will keep an eye on mine and see how it goes.

Don't know what the general consensus is but I actually really like the biting point being high, makes the car almost impossible to stall, besides Diesels are much more forgiving anyway.

My Wife’s 10 plate Hyundai I10 has the lowest biting point of any car I have driven and there is not much give and is very easy to stall.

Diesel clutches tend to be a lot stronger to cope with the much higher torque so it makes sense that they last longer.

That said I had to replace mine at about 40,000, but it turned out the clutch plate itself was fine and likely had over 20,000 miles left on it; It was the diaphragm spring which was buggered! :eek:

Hydraulic clutches are almost always self-adjusting which makes it hard to get a feel for the wear rate.

The should remain at roughly the same bite point right up until the plate is severely worn, then the bite point will start to feel much higher!

Actually it's not so much that the bite point is higher, but it is not gripping until the pedal is released much higher.

Aygo has a cable-operated clutch, but AFAIK the mechanisme at the pedal is somewhat self-adjusting for wear...

• 2 months later...

I have a diesil Aygo Done 141,000 and no clutch problems.

• 9 years later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links