Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hot Starting Probs 2.0Td 1999

keep it goin

hi guys,i'm having hot starting issues on my elderly avensis.i've posted this problem last week and have had loads of advice.unfortunately if ichanged all the parts that MAY be a problem i'd spend many £ooos.ok the car starts in the morning when cold,it also restarts if tried immediately after turning off.however if i leave it for 10 mins or more it merely spins the starter without engaging engine.i've disassembled the ign & cleaned switch assembly & turned with ascrewdriver with key in ign.so far i've heard SCV valves as a possible cause'also possible crank sensor,also possible temp sender to fuel system.any advice would be good.i already tried tapping starter with a bar when spinning & when still but to no avail.as it starts cold then i think[i may be wrong]this rules out sticking starter

hi guys,i'm having hot starting issues on my elderly avensis.i've posted this problem last week and have had loads of advice.unfortunately if ichanged all the parts that MAY be a problem i'd spend many £ooos.ok the car starts in the morning when cold,it also restarts if tried immediately after turning off.however if i leave it for 10 mins or more it merely spins the starter without engaging engine.i've disassembled the ign & cleaned switch assembly & turned with ascrewdriver with key in ign.so far i've heard SCV valves as a possible cause'also possible crank sensor,also possible temp sender to fuel system.any advice would be good.i already tried tapping starter with a bar when spinning & when still but to no avail.as it starts cold then i think[i may be wrong]this rules out sticking starter

hello mate

do not change all engine parts as step by step.

just let's think what is going on -- if you start it well when cold -- it means all systems are in order, what then -- the hot themperature does influence on starter/SCV/other electro contacts related to. re starter -- try to grease primer solenoid stem + clean both force and primer el contacts. i presume this plays with you. you could not start the engine at all in case of crank sensor issue (!). cheers/Igor

• 2 weeks later...

i had the same thing a few years ago. the cheapest option was to take my existing starter motor to be reconditioned it cost me £65. job done. apparently there is a clutch in the starter that had worn. exactly the same symptoms as you fine cold starting but when the engine was hot the starter would spin but not turn the engine, after a few attempts it would work but eventually it gave up completely and the starter would spin quickly but not crank the engine no matter how many times i tried.