Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2Nd Key

Ben Davy

Hi guys, Im new to the Yaris world and have just bought a 2005 Yaris 1.3 vvti colour collection after my Civic Jordan was vandalised and written off.

The question I have is :-

I only got one key with the car and would like to get a second cut, and Im hoping that you could tell me (and put my mind at ease), that it doesnt have a chip in the key and I can just get one cut and dont need to get one from Toyota.

Thanks,

Ben

The older ones certainly do have a chip, but there is an "Entry only" or "Valet" key, which will do exactly what it says on the tin! Get you in but wont start tha car. Helpful if you have left the keys in the car or something valuable, etc or are getting the car washed but dont want to give them a drivable oppotunity!

There have been, from time to time, services offering re-chips to a second key but if in doubt, main dealer! You will probably need the ownership documents, to prove you have rightful entry to the vehicle and your other key or key code label and it will possibly cost you around £150 but it will bw worth it in the end.

Oh, If you live anywhere near the old owner, I would think about getting the system re-coded if possible as they MAY still have the other key(S). My 02-er had 2 remotes and a valet key so I guess that is standard for Toyota!

Mine is the Mrk. 1 and sadly is a chip one so its the main dealer for me when I get the money :(

Timpson (the shoe repair shop) make keys with chips in, I got one made for another car and it cost £70.

I didn't consider that, I didn't think the old Yaris had remote central locking :!Removed!:

Haven't the new Yaris's got remote central locking?

The Mrk. 1 Yaris can only be done at the dealers. I've called up and visited numerous people and they all said they couldn't do it :(. It'll cost £80 from Toyota in Milton Keynes when I rang them up last year.

I didn't consider that, I didn't think the old Yaris had remote central locking :!Removed!:

Some do! Mine has. :lol:

Haven't the new Yaris's got remote central locking?

They have, but I didn't get the key for my Yaris as I mentioned above.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links