Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Satnav/entertainment System Dead

vikkij

I have a 56 plate Toyota Rav4 T180, got into the car after a quick visit to the shop and noticed the touch screen panel and everything on that unit had no power to it. Not a fuse, not a relay, turns out it's the unit itself that's blown and needs replacing. Needless to say I'm not happy, Benfield Toyota in Leeds are contacting Toyota for me to see if they'll do anything for me. (6 months out of warranty). Anyone heard of this before? It seems to me like this is a fault with the unit itself?

Extra news, just spoke to Benfield Toyota and it's a short in the radio head that's causing the full unit to fail. Still waiting news from Toyota which will be tomorrow now. I am really wishing I'd never bought this car :-(

Of course it is possible that the last owner got rid because he was aware of this lot. You have to give TGB a chance and maybe they will honour it. I believe you can buy that head a lot cheaper than that and fit it yourself. They were about £1100 brand new.

I'm beginning to think he was! Luckily the last problem turned out to be nothing. This is what Benfield have written on the invoice (I asked them to find out the problem then ring me, needless to say I asked them to bring the car back).

"Lost electrics to center console. Carried out investigation into electric fault on dash - stripped down the centre console and checked wiring - all ok - removed the radio head and fit new one to test and the electronics came back (apparently they have the new one in for enother car) and worked ok therefore internal fault on head unit as it is shortingout - req new head unit."

So as you say Anchorman, I'll just wait and see what TGB say (fingers AND toes are crossed). Interesting what you're saying about head unit as well they said the cost of the unit alone to Toyota would be £2,000. So if you find anything else out that'd be brilliant.

Just humour me. Is it the whole centre console that was dead (i.e. clock, heater controls) and the satnav or just the satnav only?

Did they try the old unit again after this "wiring check"? or then just try the new one straight away?

Did they not have to replace any fuses during this investigation?

Have they put the old sat nav back in now? What state have they left it in. Connected or dis-connected?

Just humour me. Is it the whole centre console that was dead (i.e. clock, heater controls) and the satnav or just the satnav only?

Did they try the old unit again after this "wiring check"? or then just try the new one straight away?

Did they not have to replace any fuses during this investigation?

Have they put the old sat nav back in now? What state have they left it in. Connected or dis-connected?

No not the clock/heater controls and everything they're fine just the satnav/CD/Radio/bluetooth/touch screen unit. No power at all, nothing on that unit will function, screen is dead, can't even open the screen to get to the CD.

They've put it back as it was but not sure if they tried the old unit again after the 'wiring check' etc. All fuses were ok before investigation not sure if they had to replace any during.

I've just bought a new JVC unit for one of my aged cars. the space doesn't allow for satnav, nor would I want it, but the whole lot..with DAB, aerial, ipod connection, usb, etc etc cost me £330 which I thought was ok. Nothing wrong with the old JVC unit in, but it didn't have DAB radio and my old aerial is knackered. Cheaper to do that than replace aerial!!

I'd have thought a good electronics chap would be able to fix head unit (not found in Dealers). How on earth could anything like that cost 10% of the value of the car - ridiculous!

Oh, and I value my RAV at considerably more than £3000 if any wit happens to pass an opinion.

No not the clock/heater controls and everything they're fine just the satnav/CD/Radio/bluetooth/touch screen unit.

OK thanks. Wish the dealer would you the correct terminology. He should just say the satnav has failed.

I'd have thought a good electronics chap would be able to fix head unit (not found in Dealers). How on earth could anything like that cost 10% of the value of the car - ridiculous!

Agree about trying to fix it. Having a service manual for the thing though can be a big help if you want to fix it quickly.

As far as the cost goes, I expect what you are paying for is the extended temperature range components inside and the validation programme that the design will have gone through being an OEM part.

Having said that, it does sometimes appear that the OEM "infotainment" (toys) suppliers get away with murder to some extent. As an example - I've seen standard "wet" electrolytic capacitors used in the things. OK, you can get extended temperature range ones, but the thing is, with the extremes of temperature the vehicles go through, they tend to dry out and fail. We are not allowed to use them for under-bonnet stuff and I'd think twice about use for in-cab.

There are some nice chinese sourced units around (google for them), that are much cheaper than the OEM ones, are a direct fit and would appear to have better functionality. That might be a better solution if Mr T won't help. On the down side, I wouldn't expect them to be engineered to the same standard, but who knows! Might be worth taking a chance.

if the whole box is just dead then there is hoop for a easy fix.

this must be something to do with the internal power supply, bad solder weld, bad power switch, cable connector, etc. not sure but it may be even some kind of internal fuse / resistor at fault.

if you are not getting any luck with mr. t then look out for a good car repair guy who fixes electronics.

Update:

Mr Toyota is willing to pay £1,700 towards the unit cost. I would still have to pay £1378.42. Needless to say that IS NOT happening. Toyota are not budging on this and think their offer is very fair (I don't). Next step auto electrician. I am seriously thinking about getting rid of the T180 in the next few months as I've lost all respect for Toyota and don't trust this car not to have any more faults. This is my 3rd Rav4 and I have NEVER had any problems until I bought this one. Apparently the retail cost of the sat/nav unit in the T180 is £2596.12+VAT!!!!!!!!! :ffs: :crybaby:

P.S. I mentioned the T180 faults that I've had that are also experienced by other people on this RAV4 forum and was told that they don't have an opinion on these as it is only peoples opinions :eek:

P.S. I mentioned the T180 faults that I've had that are also experienced by other people on this RAV4 forum and was told that they don't have an opinion on these as it is only peoples opinions :eek:

Yep, that's the common answer / attitude of the Mr. t main dealers / Toyota as the know that they are wrong… In these days with so much global knowledge on the internet the days are over for them. The same goes for all those lies they tell you witch they could come away many years ago has gone. You also see that in other kind of industries that communities (like forums & blogs) are more and more becoming stronger. Just look at the 2001 / 2003 ECU autobox problems...

The wee clock in the 4.1 1994> RAVs worked ok but the display didn't due to a dry joint common to most RAVs of that era. There was never a recall as far as I know and its novel that the thing sometimes lights up again at the right time!!

after 16 years you'd think they could get their quality control together!

It was Toyota GB who made the comments about the 'opinions' *sigh*

This fault is a lose/lose situation for me, either sell the car and lose money on it or pay over £1,000 to get it replaced by Toyota or replaced by another auto electrician. An auto electrician will need to have the unit to see if it's fixable but first will need the serial number off the unit chassis which involves taking the dash off and the unit out, I can't keep paying money out for something I'm not sure can be fixed I know women can do most things nowadays but I can't extract the unit from the dash. NOT what you expect when paying all that money for a car in the first place. :crybaby:

P.S. anyone want an immaculate T180 black 56 plate 40,000 miles on the clock with a broken sat nav unit? ;)

P.S. anyone want an immaculate T180 black 56 plate 40,000 miles on the clock with a broken sat nav unit? ;)

SWAP!!! :thumbsup: What you'll get is an almost unique RAV4 which is faster than any boy-racer off the lights...so get to the hairdresser and back before you know it!

87,000 miles on the clock that works and a 6 month warranty!

SWAP!!! :thumbsup: What you'll get is an almost unique RAV4 which is faster than any boy-racer off the lights...so get to the hairdresser and back before you know it!

Hahahahaha, I now feel like a blonde with swishy hair instead of a brunette with swishy hair. :P

I wish I knew the cheapest way to sort this sat nav out but have a similar unit :(

I'm not sure can be fixed I know women can do most things nowadays but I can't extract the unit from the dash.

It really isn't that difficult.

The most daunting bit is probably removing the two bits of silver trim and that is not too bad with a trim tool. See Anch's ipod install:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=72652

Then it is four bolts and unplug a few connectors (pushing the release tabs down on them).

Still, I can understand if you are not confident.

I wish I knew the cheapest way to sort this sat nav out but have a similar unit :(

There are units like this available:

http://www.esg1.co.uk/toyota/d708t-2-din-gps-car-dvd-player-toyota-rav4-2009-model-p-667.html

which should be a tailored fit and offer more stuff than the Toyota thing. They will be Chinese made. I can't comment on the quality of operation/software or build having never seen one in action.

I took the one in my previous RAV (same unit as yours) apart:

cxb1458.jpg

navprog.jpg

navpsu.jpg

If it could be extracted, I suppose I'd be willing to have a look, but that might not be feasible and you'd have to entrust it to some nut on a forum :lol:

Hahahahaha, I now feel like a blonde with swishy hair instead of a brunette with swishy hair. :P

What part of the UK are you in Vikki? There's bound to be a member not too far away who would remove the unit for you if you don't fancy doing it yourself.

If it can be fixed SHCM is your man. NASA get him to fix the space shuttle in his lunch break :rolleyes:

What part of the UK are you in Vikki? There's bound to be a member not too far away who would remove the unit for you if you don't fancy doing it yourself.

If it can be fixed SHCM is your man. NASA get him to fix the space shuttle in his lunch break :rolleyes:

I'm in Leeds but can travel (um only next weekend or next month are free). If anyone can fix this I'll pay money and throw in a bacon butty hot cup of tea or coffee and a smile. :D

I'm not sure can be fixed I know women can do most things nowadays but I can't extract the unit from the dash.

It really isn't that difficult.

The most daunting bit is probably removing the two bits of silver trim and that is not too bad with a trim tool. See Anch's ipod install:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=72652

Then it is four bolts and unplug a few connectors (pushing the release tabs down on them).

Still, I can understand if you are not confident.

There are units like this available:

http://www.esg1.co.uk/toyota/d708t-2-din-gps-car-dvd-player-toyota-rav4-2009-model-p-667.html

which should be a tailored fit and offer more stuff than the Toyota thing. They will be Chinese made. I can't comment on the quality of operation/software or build having never seen one in action.

If it could be extracted, I suppose I'd be willing to have a look, but that might not be feasible and you'd have to entrust it to some nut on a forum :lol:

Thanks schm I've been having a look at those units from your earlier post but am feeling a bit wary. Not to sure I'd trust one :unsure: Ta for the link to dashboard removal, I will try to sum up the courage. :eek:

I'd be more than happy for anyone to take a look at it (see above reply). Your pics have scared the beejezus out of me though, looks like 26,0000 spagetti junctions (how on earth do you know where the fault is in all that?????????????) :blink:

Well you don't have to cough up that kind of money. A bog standard radio pops up all the time on eBay for about a ton and you can buy a new tom tom for the same and I have a blue tooth kit for sale. I reckon you could get it all done for £300 (ic satnav) and I'll fit them if you come here (about an hour).

Stop worrying and don't sell it or you'll lose thousands.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/08-TOYOTA-RAV4-RAV-4-BREAKING-CD-MP3-RADIO-PLAYER-/200532119315?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2eb0a54f13

Well you don't have to cough up that kind of money. A bog standard radio pops up all the time on ebay for about a ton and you can buy a new tom tom for the same and I have a blue tooth kit for sale. I reckon you could get it all done for £300 (ic satnav) and I'll fit them if you come here (about an hour).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/08-TOYOTA-RAV4-RAV-4-BREAKING-CD-MP3-RADIO-PLAYER-/200532119315?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2eb0a54f13

You are all stars! :yahoo:

Look what I've found... any good?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2008-TOYOTA-RAV-4-T180-HEADUNIT-SCREEN-MONITOR-/110567091720?pt=UK_Audio_TV_Electronics_In_Car_Entertainment_GPS_In_Car_Audio_Players_PP&hash=item19be4fee08

Yeah I would think so. Shcm - will it need any initial setting or tuning to the vehicle other than the normal radio stuff?

Well you don't have to cough up that kind of money. A bog standard radio pops up all the time on ebay for about a ton and you can buy a new tom tom for the same and I have a blue tooth kit for sale. I reckon you could get it all done for £300 (ic satnav) and I'll fit them if you come here (about an hour).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2008-TOYOTA-RAV-4-T180-HEADUNIT-SCREEN-MONITOR-/110567091720?pt=UK_Audio_TV_Electronics_In_Car_Entertainment_GPS_In_Car_Audio_Players_PP&hash=item19be4fee08

How do you know that one is any good? Can they show it working to you?

If I was to buy it I think I'd go to the seller and pick it up, fit it there and make sure it works :thumbsup:

Or I'd go with Anchormans sensible option of putting all new kit in

How do you know that one is any good? Can they show it working to you?

If I was to buy it I think I'd go to the seller and pick it up, fit it there and make sure it works :thumbsup:

Or I'd go with Anchormans sensible option of putting all new kit in

I'd defo go pick it up but don't know if it'd need programming etc like anchorman says, at least it's not a problem that affects the use of the car, I don't have to rush into anything never even thought this kind of thing would pop up on eBay. :rolleyes: I have options now and have stopped worrying you guys have been great(put my mind at ease) it's good to know you can have some support with a car (especially when you get none from the manufacturer). As for my trip down the motorway today I'm going to stick my headphones on and listen to the iPod. :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links