Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sluggish Starting Continues

paul121

Hi, hers an update on my recent post in the hope for some advice or posibly even a cure.

2003 4.2 rav d4d 85000 mls

new turbo,new scv fitted (under warranty) within the last 15 months

heres the problem

early morning or indeed any start where the car has stood for a few hours engine turns over at normal speed but wont start.

on second turn of key engine fires up straight away.

on a couple of occasions after starting car seems to suffer loss of power briefly.

had same noise as posted on youtube by rambler so primed fuel filter and noise went away only to return soon after

now i'm not a mechanic but all of my symptoms seem to relate to fuel starvation as after priming filter the car fires up straight away but why would i need to keep doing this? is there any way fuel can be draining from system while standing? not any leaks i can see and no fuel on garage floor

anyway gonna try to replace fuel filter tomorrow (thanks to anchorman for the brilliant photos in the pinned section)

and hope this solves the darned issue once and for all.

any further advice would be very gratefully accepted

You won't gratefully receive my advice.....

I've found diesels just a complete pain - Renault Midlum diesel cut-off valve/ Fiat Generator starter solenoid / Ford Transit 2004 models (too many GB to list here) / Landrover diesel taking 2 years for an engine swap / Daewoo diesel forklift fuel problems / JCB diesel top speed of 12.4mph / Mercedes Atego generally a noisy pain /

I've primed more diesel engines in 12 months than I have in the previous 50 years!

and the bad news is that diesel doesn't easily burn when you try to torch the motors!!

Give me 3 door petrol any day!! :lol:

Any hand primer system on a diesel engine will have at least one non-return valve - if faulty then fuel can seep back towards the fuel tank as the car is parked up. One other common area for air getting into the system but showing no signs of fuel leaking out are the fuel return pipes form the injectors. A good smear of grease around any suspect fuel joints can help reduce air intake but this is only a temporary measure which can be used a means of finding the likley source.:)

Had similar problem on my diesel Rav4. I was told it was a dodgy earth wire on the fuel pump. Didn't like being cold basically.

Yes I agree it could be the non return valve in the filter head which is allowing the fuel to run back to the tank under gravity As the filer head is noisy it sounds like it would be a good investment.

Bothy, your diesel engines were all produced before diesel was invented. Things have changes a bit since steam days!!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links