Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 Questions

Michelin

Just bought myself a Rav4 T180 2006 and have a couple of issues I'd like to mention see if anyone can help me with them.

1-It has the smart start system on it and when I walk up to it the interior lights go on and the door unlocks as soon as I touch the handle i dont even haveto press the key fob.If I lock the car again with the key fob or one of the buttons on the outside of the doors as soon as I get close to the car again and touch the handles it unlocks again.Now I am really worried cos I'm thinking to myself if someone goes upto the car at night and touches the door handles its going to unlock for them,I,m sure theres an explanation for this or another way of doing it but can anyone help me with this because Im not sure if I can get the fob far enough away from the car to stop this happening :ffs:

2-It has the reversing sensors on it that beep faster as you get closer to something which were working fine last night but for some reason today every time I put it in reverse the beeper is on continuousl.it did work ok once today but its gone back to continuous again now,any ideas anyone.

Apart from these two issues I love the car its my first Toyota and I think it is a beast of a machine.Any help with these matters would be great. :thumbsup:

Just bought myself a Rav4 T180 2006 and have a couple of issues I'd like to mention see if anyone can help me with them.

1-It has the smart start system on it and when I walk up to it the interior lights go on and the door unlocks as soon as I touch the handle i dont even haveto press the key fob.If I lock the car again with the key fob or one of the buttons on the outside of the doors as soon as I get close to the car again and touch the handles it unlocks again.Now I am really worried cos I'm thinking to myself if someone goes upto the car at night and touches the door handles its going to unlock for them,I,m sure theres an explanation for this or another way of doing it but can anyone help me with this because Im not sure if I can get the fob far enough away from the car to stop this happening :ffs:

2-It has the reversing sensors on it that beep faster as you get closer to something which were working fine last night but for some reason today every time I put it in reverse the beeper is on continuousl.it did work ok once today but its gone back to continuous again now,any ideas anyone.

Apart from these two issues I love the car its my first Toyota and I think it is a beast of a machine.Any help with these matters would be great. :thumbsup:

Hi Michelin,

1) My XT5 has the same locking system and it is a bit spooky until you get used to it. Try this: Lock the car by double clicking the lock button on the fob. Walk into the house and put the keys somewhere a fair distance from where the car is parked. Now go outside and try to unlock the car by using the handle. Won't do it ( I trust )! You need the keys in your hand/pocket for it to unlock. Test 2) Leave the car on the drive and walk away from it without locking it. Put the keys in the house as before then go back outside and try and get in the car. It should have locked itself when you walked away. Personally, I've never trusted it to do this but I'm assured that it works.

Bit of advice: If your better half carries the spare keys about, don't let her leave them in her handbag locked in the car.

2) The reversing sensors do give a bleep when you put the car in reverse but should stop unless you are within about 900mm of anything at the back. This includes things at the rear sides of the car such as the garage doorway when reversing out. I got a bit paranoid about this at first and kept getting out of the car to check that all was clear! The sensors are very sensitive(?) to any bits of muck or the like which have stuck to them - this includes polish residue which gets into the edges of the sensor surface. In your position, I'd give them a good clean and try them again. Good luck and let us know how you get on the '180 is a corking motor which I'm sure you will enjoy:thumbsup:

I don't think it will self lock but if you unlock it with either the remote or by touching the handle it will self lock again after 20 seconds. As soon as you open the door it won't lock again. You don't have to be far away from the car before it won't unlock. If you lock the door and stand back about a yard or so it won't unlock - just put the key on the ground or the wall (don't step on it!!!).

One final word of caution. If you park where there is a strong electro magnetic field like near a telephone mast or similar transmitting device it won't open as the radio waves will interfere with it. In this case you have to hold the fob by the body just behind the drivers door and then try to unlock it. I will post a pdf showing the exact location. The same goes when you are inside. If the radio wave are strong enough to stop you from starting it you have to hold the fob right by the start button.

If you are still really worried you can disable the sytem quite easily.

Thanks guys just tried the key fob thing and its as you explained had me worried for a bit cos I locked the car and went into the garage for a bit and as I walked past the car to go in the house the interior lights came on and the door opened as soon as I touched the handle so does this mean you can actualyy lock and open and drive the car without having to press any buttons on the fob just having the fob in your pocket will be good enough.also anyone got any idea how much a new set of sensors are just incase I cant sort these out and can you change them easy enough yourself or do you haveto take it to the main dealer as they look as if they will pull out from the bumper from the outside

Thanks guys just tried the key fob thing and its as you explained had me worried for a bit cos I locked the car and went into the garage for a bit and as I walked past the car to go in the house the interior lights came on and the door opened as soon as I touched the handle so does this mean you can actualyy lock and open and drive the car without having to press any buttons on the fob just having the fob in your pocket will be good enough.also anyone got any idea how much a new set of sensors are just incase I cant sort these out and can you change them easy enough yourself or do you haveto take it to the main dealer as they look as if they will pull out from the bumper from the outside

Your T180 has keyless entry. Keep the fob in your pocket. See the square button on driver, passenger and rear door handles. When you want to lock the car, put your hand on any of these door's handles, press the button - locks clunk, press the button again - locks clunk again. If you don't have faith in it being locked: as you take away your hand, just give the handle a pull and you'll feel that it has locked. Can take a few tries if you are not used to it (i.e. you will probably unlock it when pulling on the handle - just needs a bit of practice).

And occassionally the unlock throughs a wobbly (maybe once in every fifty locks) and you need to get the fob out.

Check that the sensors are clean. A wee bit of dirt can lead you down a wrong, expensive, path. Try hosing them down.

Otherwise, enjoy your T180.

I have the keyless entry on my T180 and you have to be vertually on the car to get it to unlock, me and my otherhalf have tried this he will be walking round the car with the key in the pocket and I will try and open it and it doesnt work until he puts his hand on the door handle, its like it knows where abouts the key is to the handle being touched.

And as MarsKy says, you can check the handle just as stated above, I do it all the time.

I lock it with the button on the handle then have a pull at the rear door to check it's locked. The interior light is just a courtesy thing to say it recognises you are near to the car.

See page 5 for RAV;

4.3 interferance of door lock due to radio signals.pdf

...and to disable;

4.3 disable smart entry.pdf

And occassionally the unlock throughs a wobbly (maybe once in every fifty locks) and you need to get the fob out.

I'm surprised, it really shouldn't be that bad (unless you live next door to a UHF TX). Do you have anything else in your pocket with it? Like phone, keys etc? I can't remember the last time I had to get the fob out in that kind of situation. Sometimes if the fob is in a low position, it can cause problems, but I'm not exactly the tallest person in the world and I have no bother.

its like it knows where abouts the key is to the handle being touched.

It does (or more accurately it can work it out). in the case of keyless (not remote only), the receiver position shown in the TSB posted by Anchs only shows part of the system . There are another 5 antennas (well probably 6, if you count the ign switch itself). One in each front door handle, one in the rear door. I *think* the others are on the back of the centre cubby box (behind the trim panel) and under the plastic trim behind the rear seats.

If it is the system I think it is and works the way I think it does, when you grab the door handle, there is a touch sensor in the handle which signals the body electronics. The system then sends out a "ping" (or challenge) to the fob from the antenna in the same door handle that had its touch sensor activated.

You can produce systems where the field produced from the antenna reduces very rapidly with distance (for techies - the fob is responding to the magentic component of the near field of a loop antenna, which I think drops off as 1/r^3, if I remember my Maxwell stuff correctly). These extra antennas are part of such a system and is why your fob doesn't respond to the "ping" when it is more than a few meters away. So, it won't open the door if somebody else touches the handle and your fob is in the house for example.

Once the fob has received a "ping" it then just sends a normal UHF unlock transmission, in much the same way as if you had just pressed the unlock button on the fob. That is received by the receiver shown in the TSB posted by anchs, which in turn unlocks the vehicle.

I'm surprised, it really shouldn't be that bad (unless you live next door to a UHF TX). Do you have anything else in your pocket with it? Like phone, keys etc? I can't remember the last time I had to get the fob out in that kind of situation. Sometimes if the fob is in a low position, it can cause problems, but I'm not exactly the tallest person in the world and I have no bother.

its like it knows where abouts the key is to the handle being touched.

It does (or more accurately it can work it out). in the case of keyless (not remote only), the receiver position shown in the TSB posted by Anchs only shows part of the system . There are another 5 antennas (well probably 6, if you count the ign switch itself). One in each front door handle, one in the rear door. I *think* the others are on the back of the centre cubby box (behind the trim panel) and under the plastic trim behind the rear seats.

If it is the system I think it is and works the way I think it does, when you grab the door handle, there is a touch sensor in the handle which signals the body electronics. The system then sends out a "ping" (or challenge) to the fob from the antenna in the same door handle that had its touch sensor activated.

You can produce systems where the field produced from the antenna reduces very rapidly with distance (for techies - the fob is responding to the magentic component of the near field of a loop antenna, which I think drops off as 1/r^3, if I remember my Maxwell stuff correctly). These extra antennas are part of such a system and is why your fob doesn't respond to the "ping" when it is more than a few meters away. So, it won't open the door if somebody else touches the handle and your fob is in the house for example.

Once the fob has received a "ping" it then just sends a normal UHF unlock transmission, in much the same way as if you had just pressed the unlock button on the fob. That is received by the receiver shown in the TSB posted by anchs, which in turn unlocks the vehicle.

Wow! great reply SHCM, even I understood most of that :unsure: and i haven't even got that system :thumbsup: Stew

I'm surprised, it really shouldn't be that bad (unless you live next door to a UHF TX). Do you have anything else in your pocket with it? Like phone, keys etc?

Usually a mobile phone in there somewhere.

Wow! great reply SHCM, even I understood most of that :unsure: and i haven't even got that system :thumbsup: Stew

Thanks Stew. :thumbsup: You're probably just the only one that had the patience to read the woffle :lol:

Usually a mobile phone in there somewhere.

Right. Might have the tendency to make the fob a bit deaf. :thumbsup: