Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T180 Very Very Sluggish Below 2000 Rpm

Steve Hebby

Is there any cure for this. The ECU was updated with the latest sofware update 2 weeks ago which I thought may improve the problem but it was no improvement. It's so bad that I have to go into 1st gear when still moving turning on a slow corner.

Is there any cure for this. The ECU was updated with the latest sofware update 2 weeks ago which I thought may improve the problem but it was no improvement. It's so bad that I have to go into 1st gear when still moving turning on a slow corner.

General consensus was that from a driver's point-of-view, the update was a step backwards, with dropped mpg and less responsiveness.

But such 1st gear driving isn't normal. I'd go back and tell them to check that the update was done properly. There might be a glitch in the matrix...

Actually - if there was a problem with the software, it would probaby do more than just give you problems below 2000rpm.

It might be coincidence, but maybe one of those many three-letter-acronym valves has started playing up?

Actually - if there was a problem with the software, it would probaby do more than just give you problems below 2000rpm.

It might be coincidence, but maybe one of those many three-letter-acronym valves has started playing up?

It's been the same since I bought the T180 but I thought the software upgrade might have solved it. The upgrade hasn't made it any worse than what it was. Fuel consumption is also still the same.

Take the cover off the engine (just pulls off) and get somebody to rev it intermittently. See if that link from the turbo vac unit to the turbo is moving.

Take the cover off the engine (just pulls off) and get somebody to rev it intermittently. See if that link from the turbo vac unit to the turbo is moving.

Cheers Anchorman. Just got home so will check tomorrow and let you know.

Anchorman - Thanks for your help. Checked the link from the turbo unit and it is moving. Is there anything else I can check?

You need to peer down the back of the engine and make sure all the pipes are on the DPF. If you have ramps it is easier to see by looking up from underneath but if not go around the drivers side. There are sveral rubber pipes that all need to be fitted. You could also change the fuel filer and a quick test of the air filter is to just take it out (it will be noisy).

You may have to revisit that turbo but just check the other things first.

You need to peer down the back of the engine and make sure all the pipes are on the DPF. If you have ramps it is easier to see by looking up from underneath but if not go around the drivers side. There are sveral rubber pipes that all need to be fitted. You could also change the fuel filer and a quick test of the air filter is to just take it out (it will be noisy).

You may have to revisit that turbo but just check the other things first.

Checked all hoses from above and all are fitted. Pulled car onto ramps and checked from below and all hoses are fitted. Fuel filter and air filter were changed at last service (3 weeks ago) so they should be OK.

Re: You may have to revisit that turbo but just check the other things first.

What do I have to revisit on the turbo?

It may be just me thats not giving the car enough revs for the gearing but I thought the Rav would have more torque when off turbo. Don't get me wrong, when the turbo comes in at 2000 rpm it's an amazing flying machine.

Steve

It might be better to try and get a ride in another RAV first but if you pull that cover off the engine again and look at the rear left of the engine just in front of the steering column, you will see 2 valves fixed on a bracket. The rh one near the turbo has 2 pipes on it. See if you can carefully pull the pipes off and use some thin tube to join them together. Thet should make the turbo run at full pressure just while you try it round the block.

Steve,

I'd be interested if you find a solution to your problem as im wondering if its associated to something im currently experiencing with my t180 (i have a thread on here about it being sluggish when cold).

Had a nice little situation today slowing to a halt behind a stationary bus, decided it was clear enough to overtake, put it in second, moved over to the other side of the road, applied throttle and........ nothing! the bus actually decided to move and started to pull away from me until the t180 shot into life at 2000rpm.

Have a search of the forums for EGR valve cleaning, that may help.

Have a search of the forums for EGR valve cleaning, that may help.

Not been on the forum for some days - the T180 is definitely not right it should pull away from 1000 revs (aprox tickover revs) quite well but when the turbo kicks in you get the full T180 acceleration ! I took mine back to the dealer when new as I thought the accceleration was not very good, between 1200 to 1700 revs especially in 5th gear - they did a full road test and all was ok BUT reminded me that the turbo only fully cuts in (on mine) at 1700 revs.

If a bus can leave a T180 standing take it to your dealer and ask for a full road test, I never ever have to drop to 1st gear on sharp slow corners only 2nd.

Might just let Anchorman have a drive this Sat and let him report - he will have to remind me!!

Guy

Does a road test cost anything?

Currently awaiting a code reader anchorman showed me to see if that shows anything

I have a feeling the EGR is stuck open and is feeding the exhaust gas into the cylinder when it shouldn't be.

I have a feeling the EGR is stuck open and is feeding the exhaust gas into the cylinder when it shouldn't be.

Would cleaning the EGR fix this?

Whilst on the subject of EGR, i looked at the linked guide and is it really that easy? Im not that mechanically minded so wouldnt want to break anything!

Whilst on the subject of EGR, i looked at the linked guide and is it really that easy? Im not that mechanically minded so wouldnt want to break anything!

Pretty much - just make sure you have a powerufl vacuum cleaner so as not to let any of the hard carbon deposits fall back into the manifold :thumbsup:

Guy's,

Cleaned the EGR today. The valves were stuck open due to carbon build up. Both the manifold ports in the side were blocked completely the middle port had an hole of approx 10mm. Removed motor from the EGR which allows you to open up fully the EGR valves. Removed all the carbon deposits on the EGR valves and washed out with carb cleaner. Removed all deposits from the manifold ports further cleaned using carb cleaner then dried off and re-assembled. The difference is unbelievable. Acceleration response is excellent. It now pulls like a train from idle speed to the turbo coming in and then goes like hell.

Guys many many thanks for all your help :thumbsup:

Best Regards

Steve (now one happy chappy :D :D )

Guy's,

Cleaned the EGR today. The valves were stuck open due to carbon build up. Both the manifold ports in the side were blocked completely the middle port had an hole of approx 10mm. Removed motor from the EGR which allows you to open up fully the EGR valves. Removed all the carbon deposits on the EGR valves and washed out with carb cleaner. Removed all deposits from the manifold ports further cleaned using carb cleaner then dried off and re-assembled. The difference is unbelievable. Acceleration response is excellent. It now pulls like a train from idle speed to the turbo coming in and then goes like hell.

Best Regards

Glad to hear it and take it you found my guide a lot of help ;)

Guy's,

Best Regards

Glad to hear it and take it you found my guide a lot of help ;)

Certainly did mate it was very helpful :thumbsup: Thanks to the guide it took away that scary feeling of delving into the unknown and it was so simple to do following the guide.

I'll be pinning that at some stage Rick - its a good tutorial.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links