Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T180 Very Very Sluggish Below 2000 Rpm

Steve Hebby

I want a car like steves!

Hoping to do mine this weekend, should I be as thorough as steve and remove the motor from the egr?

I want a car like steves!

Hoping to do mine this weekend, should I be as thorough as steve and remove the motor from the egr?

When I removed the EGR I noticed I had a gap of about 2mm around the two valves in the EGR. Removing the motor is simple mate. Just take out the 3 cap bolts holding it in place (remembering the correct position it comes off). This then allows you to push in the rod that opens the two valves to a fully open position, where I then cleaned off all the carbon around the valves and the two ports that the valves seat into using a toothbrush. The valves clean up to a bright finish once all the carbon has been removed. To check I had a good seal once cleaned I squirted carb cleaner into the EGR with the valves now closed fully and this held the liquid until I opened the valves about 5 minutes later.

When re-assembled, the engine turned over quite a few times before starting and when started ran lumpy for about 10 seconds.

Hope that helps you in your decision ;)

Woo! :clap: Glad you sorted it :thumbsup:

It's always a nice feeling when you can fix the car and make it feel 'right' again :D

Not looking like i'll get a chance to do mine this weekend, weathers not brilliant and im not sure what your meant to get for carb cleaner!

Went to my local shop and they had "carburetter and air intake cleaner for petrol engines" wasnt sure if this was what i needed as not wanting to risk any damage to my engine so thought i would check with you guys exactly what i need.

Not looking like i'll get a chance to do mine this weekend, weathers not brilliant and im not sure what your meant to get for carb cleaner!

Went to my local shop and they had "carburetter and air intake cleaner for petrol engines" wasnt sure if this was what i needed as not wanting to risk any damage to my engine so thought i would check with you guys exactly what i need.

That's the stuff :thumbsup:

Brake cleaner works well too. I've just cleaned one out today which was stuck open. It was really flat until about 2000rpm. With the valve off you could see daylight through the valve (only about 1mm) and it took quite a bit of cleaning but afterwards you could really hear a metallic ping when the valve snapped shut. Its a different car now.

Brake cleaner works well too. I've just cleaned one out today which was stuck open. It was really flat until about 2000rpm. With the valve off you could see daylight through the valve (only about 1mm) and it took quite a bit of cleaning but afterwards you could really hear a metallic ping when the valve snapped shut. Its a different car now.

:thumbsup::yahoo:

Finally got a chance to do the car today!

Good news on the code front, none are being reported.

As for the egr, think these pictures speak for themselves

manifold.jpg

valve.jpg

Wont be able to tell till tomorrow if it solves my sluggish when cold issue.

Has it solved any sluggish issue? Hard to tell, It did seem hesitant from a standing start at traffic lights, but im wondering if thats my driving and that im not countering the loss in rpm whilst disengaging the clutch.......

Average mpg is rising which is good though!

I have a strong feeling a lot of your problems will be resolved very quickly after cleaning that out. I dont know if you used my guide or not but if you did would you be kind enough to add your pictures to this as your inlet manifold is one of the worst clogged I have ever seen ;) http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=106241

Apologies up front, I am honestly not taking the mickey, but there are 2 topics on here one says my T180 has no power above 2,500 revs, and this one says my T180 is very very sluggish below 2000 revs, whichever way you look at it thats a pretty narrow power band.. :lol2: :lol2: :shutit: Stew

I have a strong feeling a lot of your problems will be resolved very quickly after cleaning that out. I dont know if you used my guide or not but if you did would you be kind enough to add your pictures to this as your inlet manifold is one of the worst clogged I have ever seen ;) http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=106241

Hi rick, yep your guide was followed to the letter. I'll add the pics to the thread in a sec!

As for other things to report:-

I still feel the ravs holding back on me until running at normal engine temperature. It wasn't as bad first thing this morning but there was definately a difference when it was fully warmed up and flying like a rocket.

Average mpg has continued to improve and i've now gone from 28.4 (and this was driving miss daisy) up to 30.3 (this includes me having some 'fun' since cleaning the valve)

As for the hesitant standing starts i think that was my driving style, made sure this evening that i was applying more throttle to counter clutch release and made some pretty good starts. Even had a laugh and attempted a 0-60 time which achieved 9.76 seconds (didn't think that was too bad with the official figures being 9 and i think i could of done better with the pull away).

On most diesels BLOCKING or restricting the EGR valve gives more power???

On most diesels BLOCKING or restricting the EGR valve gives more power???

Is that a question?

Yes that is true but if the valve is stuck open even the slightest amount it will be flat as a f*rt at low revs.

Average mpg has continued to improve and i've now gone from 28.4 (and this was driving miss daisy) up to 30.3 (this includes me having some 'fun' since cleaning the valve)

It should get even better pal. Drove to Cumbernauld today (236 miles from where I live according to the odo), filled up to brim before I set off and filled to brim when I arrived, used 28.25 litres, this equates to 38 MPG and I wasn't hanging about driving up the A1 to the M6 (70+ and 50 for approx 15 miles at road works on the A1). Last time I did the same run (prior to the EGR clean) I managed 33 MPG.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links