Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Iq Recall - Power Steering

LA-LA

ALL iQ can have problems with the loss of powersteering. :crybaby:

Therefore we have a software update. Two hours work for your Toyota dealer.

It's not all of them, but I imagine it will be a lot. From Toyota GB:

Toyota announces voluntary recall of iQ in the UK

04 Nov 2010 by admin

Toyota GB today announced it would recall a number of its iQ models in the UK to carry out a modification to the software used to manage the vehicle’s Electric Power Steering (EPS) system.

It is working with the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) to contact registered owners and keepers by letter to advise them of the procedure for taking their vehicle to an authorised Toyota repairer for the necessary repair work to be done.

The issue affects certain iQ vehicles, produced between 11 September 2008 and 22 October 2010. When driving on certain roadside safety side strips or ‘rumble strips’, signals received by the EPS sensors may be incorrectly interpreted by the EPS control unit, triggering the EPS warning light. Should this happen, the driver would need to apply extra effort to steer the vehicle.

This issue has only been observed in very specific circumstances in Japan. No cases have been reported in Europe. No accidents related to this issue have been reported.

The repair involves the update or replacement of the EPS control unit software. The job will take approximately two hours to complete, at no cost to the customer. Approximately 12,000 UK registered vehicles are affected by this recall.

Toyota will ensure that vehicles produced before 22 October 2010, but not yet delivered to customers, will be checked and the necessary repair undertaken before delivery.

Jon Williams, Managing Director of Toyota GB PLC, said, “We are committed to putting the customer first and have a total focus on the quality of all our products. We will liaise with our customers to carry out the repair procedures as efficiently as possible, with minimal disruption.”

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/toyota-announces-voluntary-recall-of-iq-in-the-uk

The roads I drive on daily and at work match or exceed their description of the types of bumps that can cause the problem and my power steering has been fine. I will wait to see if I get a letter, as I do not know if this means my iQ will always be fine or if it will eventually suffer the fault.

Has anybody on here suffered this fault? I certainly haven't seen any threads about it and we're talking about over two years worth of cars.

There are no known cases in Europe, only in Japan

Kingo :thumbsup:

There are no known cases in Europe, only in Japan

With all our iQs being built in Japan I guess we will have affected models in the UK and Toyota's blog says: "Approximately 12,000 UK registered vehicles are affected by this recall."

I think you will find every vehicle BEFORE 22nd build date will need the upgraded or at least checked, you will be contacted by letter when the parts are available to the network

Lets have a ride with me on the German Autobahn and I will show you how to disturb the system. :eek:

My (the) iQ will show you the yellow light and harden the steering, if you jump with high speed on a bridge entry /end of the bridge over the transvers joint / groove. :bangin: and this not funny.

With all 95.100 iQ worldwide, around 70.800 of them are in Europa (13.609 in DE) the problem can rise, not only in Japan, or only RHD.

Let’s have a ride with me on the German Autobahn and I will show you how to disturb the system. :eek:

My (the) iQ will show you the yellow light and harden the steering, if you jump with high speed on a bridge entry /end of the bridge over the transvers joint / groove. :bangin: and this not funny.

With all 95.100 iQ worldwide, around 70.800 of them are in Europa (13.609 in DE) the problem can rise, not only in Japan, or only RHD.

PLEASE NOTE: Japanese cars are all Right Hand Drive

Those destined for sale in mainland Europe are Left Hand Drive

Why visiting the Toyota Recall website??

All iQs are affected, because none of the iQ build since Oct 22nd have reached Europe, they are on the vessel!!! :!Removed!:

Don't shoot the messenger!

I have put the link up because Toyota have made it available. Not everybody in the UK owns a UK spec iQ, some will be personal imports. You will also find that despite telling people what models are affected, you will still have people thinking their Corolla or Auris or whatever model they own is also affected. by checking with the website, you will also be telling Toyota you own that specific car and how you can be contacted, despite VOSA, DVLA and Toyota's best efforts, the information on who owns a particular car is not always as up to date as it could be

You can check if your car is affected by visiting the TOYOTA RECALL WEBSITE

Thanks for the link. I submitted my reg number and even though I haven't had the problem it advised me that my iQ needs the update. I just hope the Swindon dealer as is helpful with this as they were the entire time from saying I'll have the iQ all the way to collecting it.

Dose anyone know what the recall involves , will they be pulling apart the dashboard or what?

From the final recall page:

What is the condition?

The issue affects certain iQ vehicles, produced between 11 September 2008 and 22 October 2010. When driving on certain roadside safety side strips or 'rumble strips', signals received by the EPS sensors may be incorrectly interpreted by the EPS control unit, triggering the EPS warning light. Should this happen, the driver would need to apply extra effort to steer the vehicle.

What is the function of the EPS?

The electric power steering assists the driver in steering, making the vehicle easier to manoeuvre.

Are there any warnings that this condition has occurred?

Yes, the EPS warning light turns on.

Have there been any reports of accidents?

There have been no reports of accidents related to this condition.

What is Toyota going to do?

Owners of the involved vehicles will receive a campaign notification by first class mail. Toyota Centres will replace affected EPS ECU / update EPS ECU software with an improved one. The replacement will be performed at NO COST to vehicle owners.

How long will the repair take?

The repair will take approximately two hours. However, it may be necessary for the owner to make the vehicle available for a longer period of time depending upon the Centre's schedule.

From the Toyota website

The repair involves the update or replacement of the EPS control unit software. The job will take approximately two hours to complete

It is a bit early to know the eact details, but from what I have heard it will be a software update OR replacement EPS unit, we have not had the procedures manual yet. it usually goes something like this. Check the software, if it is version XYZ then update it, if values ABC cannot be detected, replace the part. you get the idea?

Update

4390 iQ models will require an ECU reflash only, the remaining 8409 cars will require a new steering ECU

There will be a list of chassis numbers available soon for your dealer to check, to see if you need a re-flash or new ECU

Parts will start to become available from 22nd November, enough parts for the full recall will be available by the end of December

You will be contacted by Toyota to bring your car in shortly

No I would'nt rush to get extra cover :lol:

It is a voluntary recall and not a safety critical type

Update

4390 iQ models will require an ECU reflash only, the remaining 8409 cars will require a new steering ECU

There will be a list of chassis numbers available soon for your dealer to check, to see if you need a re-flash or new ECU

Parts will start to become available from 22nd November, enough parts for the full recall will be available by the end of December

You will be contacted by Toyota to bring your car in shortly

Thanks for the info. I have just ordered a new IQ, and I was supposed to receive it on the 11th last week, but I phoned the dealer and they said that although they have the car they can't give it to me. :'(

Seems strange that they can't give you the car if its a simple steering fault for driving over speed bumps!

I went to the recall site; entered the registration and it didn't find my car...doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence!

I think they did mine yesterday when it got serviced, when I saw the forms im sure i saw the words firmware upgrade,

so they could be doing this as part of the service too, personally i've not had the problems described tho.

Mine had a service last week, and was supposed to bring it in to Derby today for ECU upgrade but they've yet to receive the software. Good job I rang else would have been a wasted journey.

My IQ2 is just over a year old......never even heard of this???? Should I be worried???????????? :blink:

No.

The previous posts in this thread explain what the problem is.

Mr T will contact you about taking your car in for the update/upgrade as required.(Or contact your dealer to see what they are doing about it)