Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Under Bonnet Info

zaffy

Hi all,

Having looked under the bonnet today I see there appears to be another tank next to the radiator with a plastic lid marked "coolant" what is this for please??.

The radiator has water etc in it I assume??.

Also I understand a Haynes manual is sadly not available but is there any other document or book that gives maintainance info please.

Hi, Radiator water is properly known as "Coolant" as it's main function is to prevent the engine from overheating.

The coolant is more than just water though, as it contains certain chemicals that protect the engines internal waterways from corrosion and also addatives that, combined with the pressurised system, raise the boiling temperature to around 110 degrees C, as opposed to plain water that would have boiled off at around 100 degrees C.

So this protects the engine from damage that would or may have occured if you just had water.

Also, This fluid has anti-freeze properties that prevent the water from freezing into ice inside your engine, an effect that could, in the worse case scenario, actually cause the engine to crack! This is why you may have heard the term "Anti-freeze" used, usually by older drivers. Most people now simply refere to the fluid as "Coolant" (It's main job).

You can buy this coolant either pre-mixed or in concentrated form, where you will need to add the correct amount of water BEFORE adding it to the system. If in any doubt about replacing, topping up, etc, seek help as getting it wrong can prove costly!

BTW, Toyota use a very long life coolant, so check before replacing... There are tests/ service dates they can check before wasting good coolant. Best of luck, Gar. :thumbsup:

With reference to a Hanes manual, etc... The standard owners handbook SHOULD give you a very basic insite as to when you should reqire changing fluids, service the vehicle, etc.

As there is no Haynes yet, Have you tried Clymer? They are a similar type of product to Haynes so MAY offer a manual for the car. If this is not available, have a look at the Citroen/Peugeot derivatives as many parts are either the same or similar. Another Aygo owner may be able to let you know if these are available and if so, if they help. B)

Hi There.

You don't need to bother removing the shiny radiator cap.

The black cap with "Coolant" on it is where you top-up any lost coolant.

This is the expansion tank.

As the engine warms up, the coolant expands......it is forced into the expansion tank.

As the engine cools, it is sucked back into the cooling system.

Look down the back of the clear plastic coolant tank (black lid) you will see a moulded line.

When the engine is cool, the coolant level should be on that line.

Ian.

(When I were a lad, cars didn't have expansion tanks, as the coolant expanded, the

radiator overflowed and lost about 1" or 25mm coolant. You never topped old cars right up to the brim,

you always left room for this expansion loss. The coolant expansion tank keeps this spare bit then it is sucked

back in as the engine cools. More coolant to do it's job properly, no anti-freeze on the floor, no dilution by topping up constantly with water etc.)

In a nutshell......

Look down the back of the clear plastic coolant tank (black lid) you will see a moulded line.

When the engine is cool, the coolant level should be on that line.

coolant.jpg

Nice write up, and very educational by "Gar", and thanks for the illustrative photo fron "Unklian". This club wouldnt be a good club without people like you guys who help contribute in an informative way.

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Guys guys an excellent informative response and very much appreciated.

I come over to an Aygo because of cost as I was running a 2.6 Mercedes 190 which was getting long in the tooth despite being rust free but only did 20mpg!!!.

My first fill up gave me 330miles from £41 which worked out at 45mpg and I'm still getting used to it (Elmo as my 6yr old has named him) .

So I don't have to touch the shiny cap then thats cool but the other black capped tank level is about two inches below the line so I need to top this up,

So do I just put in water or coolant??, its a nice shade of green in there.

When selling the Mercedes I left a fantastic website forum that I'd used for the last 10 years and its good and reassuring to know that this forum is so friendly and helpful,

especially when I know nothing about these cars and feel like I'm starting again, so THANKYOU again.

Btw I understand this engine is chain driven and needs fully synthetic oil but which sort do you Guru's recommend please.

Regards Andy

Hi Again.

Here is a picture of the rear of the tank. The moulded line should be seen clearly.

2 inches below this line is unusual.

The level should only rise slightly with a hot engine,

then fall back to bang on the line.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=113903

If your water level has moved below this, suspect the water pump.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=95418

"Nice shade of green" is also unusual.

As far as I'm aware, all petrol Aygos should have the pink / orange coolant.

Ian.

Can I go off topic on my own posting??,,,,hope so,,,,

Great to see a picture of the front without its bumper on,

I bought my car from a guy that buys repairs and sells accident damaged cars and he told me mine needed both top and bottom bars and lights and bonnet and bumper and thanks to your picture I can now see what he was talking about.

Also Saturday I went to Toyota Bury to get my new key coded (my local dealer at Ipswich wanted £65 more!!??) and they were very friendly and helpful and they had mat sets on offer for £30 all in so I bought a set and ordered a new service book (you dont get them with cars that come from salvage as insurer keeps them aparently,

I also ordered the new style glove box lid both the latters were posted to me free of charge!!.

They were posted Tuesday and I got them Wednesday!!, Good service or what!?, Lid clipped on as couldnt be bothered to go to the shed to find a stubby screwdriver and it seems sturdy enough without the screws IMHO.

Only downside for me was the lack of any service history as the parts guy looked up my car on the main Toyota computer network and there was no history or records of anything ever being done to my car, which I was shocked and disapointed about, I shall now start up the history with a new book at my local indi.

Any views or comments welcome,

Anyway enough waffling from me for one night,

Best wishes to you all.

Zaffy

Scrap that we're all friends now so call me Andy. lol

regards Andy

Hi all further to my last post, I was ably to check the coolant and yes it was/is pink but the level was about two inches below the min line and after some looking around I cannot see and leaks, new or old and the water pump looks perfectly clean so I added a little water to top it up and I shall nip to my local dealership as soom as I can.

After checking the coolant with a sucker thingy it got 4 balls come up which should protect it too -25!!, I hope.

Advice and views would be appreciated.

Yikes long life coolant is £29 at my local dealer and it only comes in 5 litre bottles,

Though they did say levels can change without it meaning a problem and did offer to top it up if I wanted.

Aparently the coolant is designed to last 10 years.