Daveyonthemove

Android Obd Reader

Hi guys,

I have done a search to see if there are many people on here using OBD readers, and hoping to see if anyone has tried the 'Torque' application on an Android phone?

I found this app last night and have decided to purchase it providing the limited free version works.

I have found a bluetooth OBD reader on Ebay for £22 delivered, so i am awaiting its delivery before i can put it to the test, but after seeing some videos to show off the product, i have to admit that i'm eager to give it a go.

In the past i have owned a SEAT and Skoda, and had 'Vagcom' for fault code reading and clearing, as well as live figure reading and the ability to turn a remap on and off, but this was not very practical as the lead often got in the way, and carrying a laptop around was risky and a pain.

The advantage of the mobile version is obviously its size and portability, but it also gives live readings on stuff like Boost, air intake etc etc and the all important BHP/Torque figures :drool:

As i'm scraping together all the pennies i can behind the sofa cushions so i can buy a Lindop Brothers tuning box, i will be testing the OBD reader to see how the data compares from standard to tuned.

This isn't to say that i doubt Kingo's claims, i just like to have a good idea what the car can do, and as i have never driven to work on a set of rollers, i prefer to see the performance on actual tarmac :thumbsup:

Has anyone given this a go, or have feedback about it? It will be run on a HTC desire on Froyo (Android 2.2).

Thanks in advance for any tips, feedback or opinions.

Dave

Hi guys,

I have done a search to see if there are many people on here using OBD readers, and hoping to see if anyone has tried the 'Torque' application on an Android phone?

I found this app last night and have decided to purchase it providing the limited free version works.

I have found a bluetooth OBD reader on Ebay for £22 delivered, so i am awaiting its delivery before i can put it to the test, but after seeing some videos to show off the product, i have to admit that i'm eager to give it a go.

In the past i have owned a SEAT and Skoda, and had 'Vagcom' for fault code reading and clearing, as well as live figure reading and the ability to turn a remap on and off, but this was not very practical as the lead often got in the way, and carrying a laptop around was risky and a pain.

The advantage of the mobile version is obviously its size and portability, but it also gives live readings on stuff like Boost, air intake etc etc and the all important BHP/Torque figures :drool:

As i'm scraping together all the pennies i can behind the sofa cushions so i can buy a Lindop Brothers tuning box, i will be testing the OBD reader to see how the data compares from standard to tuned.

This isn't to say that i doubt Kingo's claims, i just like to have a good idea what the car can do, and as i have never driven to work on a set of rollers, i prefer to see the performance on actual tarmac :thumbsup:

Has anyone given this a go, or have feedback about it? It will be run on a HTC desire on Froyo (Android 2.2).

Thanks in advance for any tips, feedback or opinions.

Dave

I'm very interested to hear how you get on. I've got a basic OBD reader, but it is no use on the move, and it really only allows reading and resetting fault codes. A bluetooth/android device would be great, especially if it allows access to the manufacturer-specific data. Phone is unfortunately only a G1 with Android 1.6. However, if needed, I could be tempted to hack the phone and install 2.2.

My OBD connector turned up today, and it works a treat. I haven't had a chance to test it fully as i'm on a night shift, but so far it seems to be very very good!

RPM readout matches the cars dial, although there is a very slight delay.

Fault code scanning is quick, but as i don't have any faults yet, i have no idea how it would display the faults if one was found.

Speed seems accurate as its taken from GPS and OBC readings.

I will test this more intensely over the next week or so (BHP and Torque are the ones i really want to check) and report back with more details. For under £25 (paid version of app and BT reader) its fantastic value for money on a code reader that fits in your pocket and works on most cars.

Can you use it as a sort of poor man's scanguage? :D

Yes, pretty much, but i would say in some respects that its better.

You can customise 7 different screens to display the info you want to see, and you can have the choice of a digital readout, a real time dial or graphs.

It will record your:

0-60 times

1/4 mile times

Speed through GPS

Engine RPM

Coolant temps

Air intake temp

MAF figures

Fuel consumption

And a fair bit more, plus you can upload all this data to the net and browse the info along with the route you have driven on Google maps.

All that plus a fault scanner for under £25... i'd say that its more of a 'Wise mans' scangauge :thumbsup:

sounds good would it be able to read fault codes on a 2003 rav 4 d4d and clears the fault codes , i could be doing with a tool like for messing around with seems great value for money

As far as i know it should work on all cars with OBD2 ports, so i would say yes, but check your car has an OBD port before you buy it.

It works on our work vehicle (Ford transit flat bed on 06 plate) as well as my Auris on an 08 plate, but i haven't had a chance to try anyone elses car yet due to my shift pattern at work.

*squeeeeeee* Nifty nifty!! :yahoo:

... but first I need a smegging Android phone :unsure::lol:

*squeeeeeee* Nifty nifty!! :yahoo:

... but first I need a smegging Android phone :unsure::lol:

just buy a dashdaq or grmin eco drive its a whole lot easier and looks alot sweeter on ya dash.

But if you already have an Android phone (with FREE satnav built in) why would you buy a Garmin or Dashdaq?

The application will only cost £2.95 and the bluetooth OBD reader can be found for under £30, and no wires running across the dash.

I'll try to get a pic of how mine is set up so you can see that its not offensive to look at, and if you look at the link you can see that the app is quite neat.

http://torque-bhp.com/

If you already own an Android phone, this application is probably the cheapest way you will ever be able to monitor your cars performance and diagnose faults.

I've finally found the time to get a few pics of the OBD reader and the app so you can see a small preview of this clever bit of kit.

As you can see, the reader is smaller than my HTC Desire (Which is the same size as an iPhone 4) so it could be put in a pocket or bag if you didn't want to leave it in the car.

DSC00405.jpg

I use a magnetic phone holder to secure my phone to the dash in a position that i can see easily when i use the mobile for sat nav, or watching the cars performance as i drive.

DSC00399.jpg

The OBD connector plugged into the car.

DSC00398.jpg

The app running on my phone although the engine is switched off so there is no data being read.

DSC00404.jpg

DSC00402.jpg

I'm still playing around with the settings and visual displays at the moment and haven't yet figured out how to save the data on the phone and transfer it to my laptop to look at more closely, but for the time being it does what i want it to do.

I just need to find a car with a known fault so i can diagnose it and clear the code. Nobody ever has a car problem when you want to find one! :lol:

Been looking at this with interest and will order one off fleabay soon :thumbsup:

Should be a good display on my Dell Streak brick tablet ;) and I often get a 1349 code comes up which hasn't been a problem in five years, I can more or less make the fault appear so when I eventually get the transmitter and download the programme I'll see how it performs

Les

Its a brilliant little app, and the developer is constantly responding to peoples feedback and requests on the forum, and updating it all the time.

that looks just like the regular reader I bought off eBay for use on my laptop - I wish i knew there was one I could use on my HTC Hero! Be interested to see how you get on with it.

The only feedback i can give so far is a BHP reading of 193 whilst joining the motorway in 4th gear.

I wasn't flat out, just picking up pace to slip between two wagons and get into the middle lane.

If i get a dry day and a clear road i plan to remove the tuning box and do a flat out run, and then repeat it with the box on.

If i can find a way to log and upload the results then i will do.

The only feedback i can give so far is a BHP reading of 193 whilst joining the motorway in 4th gear.

I wasn't flat out, just picking up pace to slip between two wagons and get into the middle lane.

If i get a dry day and a clear road i plan to remove the tuning box and do a flat out run, and then repeat it with the box on.

If i can find a way to log and upload the results then i will do.

Your bhp and Gforce (if the software does that) readings are calculated within the phone its self, using its built in micro accelerometers, that is nothing to do with the bluetooth obd reader, that just provides the live engine data, and fault codes.

I've got the same Elm 327 based bluetooth OBD device, but not tried it yet, my phone is not Android based, I can't decide wether to go for something like a google android tablet (plenty of clones about) or my original idea of getting a netbook and using with the supplied pc software.

Have you used the device direct (bluetooth) with your lap top?

Regards Austin..

The accelerometers are not used to measure the BHP in this app, all data runs direct from the ECU readings.

I don't have bluetooth on my laptop, and to be honest, i got this app to stay away from lugging a laptop around, as i always have my phone with me.

As it happened, this proved useful this afternoon as i was forced to make an emergency manoeuvre from the middle lane into the outside lane on my drive home, and needed to drop into 5th in order to pick up pace quickly and get into a gap.

Unfortunately i managed to put the car into limp mode, and was forced to make my way to the hard shoulder.

I scanned the ECU for faults, found two (but didn't think to take a note of them) and cleared them both there and then and carried on my journey.

I'm glad i was able to do that because 35mph on a motorway is !Removed! scary!

So for me, this app has just saved me a lot of money by not having to call out a recovery vehicle and pay the expensive joining fee's at the road side.

Well mine turned up yesterday and it don't do bugger all :angry: got the torque app installed and it works ok on the Dell, the bluetooth paired with the reader ok but it isn't connecting.....

I had this problem and i had to fiddle around with it to get it working.

Go into settings, select 'connection type' and ensure it is set to 'bluetooth' and not wireless.

Then select 'bluetooth device' and select your OBD reader from the list of paired devices.

Exit the app, and then restart it again.

Torque should now start to work.

No problem pairing it Davey, it just comes up with "Paired with OBDII" etc "But not connected" and it doesn't seem to work, I have a steady red light but no signal transmitting lights, I'll try exiting then starting agian (when I can get in the garage because of the snow :rolleyes:) The other thing is they sent me one with a bit of a duff socket (see picture) and I'm waiting for a replacement (I'll then have two ;) )

DSC08941.jpg

Thanks for your post :thumbsup:

Les

Blimey, that is a duff one!

Mine was the same with regards to the pairing. It said it was paired, but i had to select the correct paired item in the application settings, then it lights up like a christmas tree and flashes away constantly.

If you have any more problems fee free to message me by PM and i will get an email and be able to help (if i can) a bit sooner.

:thumbsup:

I have (accidentally) found another cool feature on this app last night.

While driving to town the phone suddenly announced "Caution, Icy conditions"

I've had a look at the settings today to find out more, and it looks like it will announce low fuel levels too.

You can turn these voice alerts off if you want to, but i quite like them (for now).

Got my replacement today and managed to get it reading out while in the garage (still snowed in) looks to be lots of fun stuff to play with, but only as much as the ECU is programmed for, mine doesn't have an ice warning so that wouldn't work and for some reason the boost doesn't work...........Maybe I should turbo it :rolleyes::lol:

The Auris doesn't have an ice warning (that i know of) so it must get the info from the temp gauge.

I'm still trying to track down some Toyota specific PID's to get more function from it, but the basic stuff works really well.

Having a turbo fitted might help with the boost gauge :lol:

Glad you got it working now :thumbsup: