Daveyonthemove

Android Obd Reader

Great vid! :thumbsup:

I can't help notice that you had nearly every gauge or dial on display somehow! :lol:

What do you think of it? Good value for money?

An ordinary cheap OBDII reader can be £25 and this will read/clear codes just the same (with an android supported device), so for that alone it is worth it, the only shortcoming is the lag on readouts but otherwise it's a fun bit of kit.

btw, I only put the mass of gauges on to try ;) , that will increase the lag even more.

The accelerometers are not used to measure the BHP in this app, all data runs direct from the ECU readings.

I don't have bluetooth on my laptop, and to be honest, i got this app to stay away from lugging a laptop around, as i always have my phone with me.

As it happened, this proved useful this afternoon as i was forced to make an emergency manoeuvre from the middle lane into the outside lane on my drive home, and needed to drop into 5th in order to pick up pace quickly and get into a gap.

Unfortunately i managed to put the car into limp mode, and was forced to make my way to the hard shoulder.

I scanned the ECU for faults, found two (but didn't think to take a note of them) and cleared them both there and then and carried on my journey.

I'm glad i was able to do that because 35mph on a motorway is !Removed! scary!

So for me, this app has just saved me a lot of money by not having to call out a recovery vehicle and pay the expensive joining fee's at the road side.

I stand to be corrected Mate, but there is no OBD-II PID's for BHP, if there are any manufacturer specific ones for BHP, then there is no guarentee they would even be on the same P code, it's only the generic emmissions protocols the manufacturers were required to standardise on. If the software is trying to generate bhp reading from RPM and Speed sensors, then accuracy will be +/- a very large factor. To generate BHP without a rolling road, Accelerometers are needed, and the software calculating the BHP would also need to know something called 'Rolling Resistance' which is a calculation based on the vehicle mass and the resistance of the drive train, similar to 'Drag Coefficient'

I've got a device you sucker onto the windscreen, it contains micro accelerometers, you program in the rolling resistance of your car, then select what readout you want,0-60, BHP, G-force etc. When I get my Elm device hooked up (thinking of going for one of the Acer Netbooks that have both Win7 and Android on them) I'll do some comparrisons.

Regards Austin..

I think its better for accuracy with fewer dials running on one screen :thumbsup:

I just scanned a friends C4 and found 3 fault codes that the car had never alerted him to, 2 of which were turbo related faults, so he is going to call up his AA extended warranty to see if they can rectify any issues.

Hopefully they will sort it for him as his warranty runs out on the 24th december, so we might have caught it in time.

I think its better for accuracy with fewer dials running on one screen :thumbsup:

I just scanned a friends C4 and found 3 fault codes that the car had never alerted him to, 2 of which were turbo related faults, so he is going to call up his AA extended warranty to see if they can rectify any issues.

Hopefully they will sort it for him as his warranty runs out on the 24th december, so we might have caught it in time.

Very good post Davey :thumbsup:

Thanks to Davey to bring this into our attention.

Guess what :yahoo:

I just found that you can stick your BT ELM 327 with N900 and use software CARMAN to check errors and play around with other functions.

See the video

N900 You tube

Kindly see the further details here

N900 Carman Installation

In case if you have any problem give me a shout.

Cheers.

Thats excellent, i'm glad you were able to find a similar app for your make and model of phone.

Don't you just love technology? And to think that a Toyota fault code scanner costs £1600 on ebay!!

:thumbsup:

Good vid mate, you were 'lucky' enough to get a fault code and show us how to clear it :lol:

Its a fantastic bit of kit to have in your car :thumbsup:

Hi Davey and Giddlepin.

Just wondering if any of you got diesel car. Why did I ask that?

Well my car is constantly giving engine load at 100% even on idle.

Just wondering what does your car give?

What could be fault that is giving 100% engine load constantly? I have only added cruise control to this car which works like a treat.

any suggestions?

Thanks.

Hi Davey and Giddlepin.

What could be fault that is giving 100% engine load constantly? I have only added cruise control to this car which works like a treat.

any suggestions?

Thanks.

I'm almost certain the engine load is like the 0 to 60 and altitude gauges, that is they are based on the accelerometers/gps functions in the phone and not part of the OBDII interface, so the problem might be in the software compatibility of the phone?

Hi Davey and Giddlepin.

any suggestions?

Thanks.

Mine is a diesel, but i have to be honest... i haven't checked engine load at idle.

If i remember i will check it and let you know. If i haven't posted my answer by saturday, feel free to message me privately and remind me, i will then get the answer to you ASAP.

I'm almost certain the engine load is like the 0 to 60 and altitude gauges, that is they are based on the accelerometers/gps functions in the phone and not part of the OBDII interface, so the problem might be in the software compatibility of the phone?

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. In phone softwares they give values in %.

I have tried two different softwares on two different phones. Try in Torque

If you long press > add display > Dial > Engine Load

Mine is constantly giving 100%.

I have also tried on my N900 and with different application (Carman) and it also gives 100%.

Now I was thinking it could be normal, so I tried in my friends car (Saab 9-3) which is also on 03 model, it gave normal readings, e.g 5% on idle and 50% while moving. So readings in his case was variable whereas not in mine.

What do you reckon?

Cheers.

Does the load value go down as you drive?

It may be reading the signal correctly, but displaying it as 100% instead of 0% if that makes sense?

Mine is a diesel, but i have to be honest... i haven't checked engine load at idle.

If i remember i will check it and let you know. If i haven't posted my answer by saturday, feel free to message me privately and remind me, i will then get the answer to you ASAP.

Hi Davey,

will wait for your car readings.

Cheers.

13-15% load on idle

Thanks Davey. What about you Giddlepin?

I am just wondering what does it mean?

Mine is at 100% on idle. No error code. What should I assume?

any advice please?

Thanks.

Does the load value go down as you drive?

It may be reading the signal correctly, but displaying it as 100% instead of 0% if that makes sense?

Davey, on idle it is usually b/w 98-100%.

And when I am driving, again same, it varies b/w 98-100 %.

Other than that no other problems except poor mpg. I get about 36-40 mpg and my driving is 60:40 (60 being motorway and 40 being city).

Why I am so worried about it, as I am thinking if the pressure to one cylinder is more than other and it may damage the engine.

As I wrote previously I also tested it with different software on N900 and engine load was same 98-100%.

Any suggestion?

I don't know what suggest Sam. If something doesn't feel right then you should get an expert to check it.

Ok mate. Thanks for reply. Well I am double minded, as car is not giving any problem after cleaning EGR, and it is only this software where I am getting 100% load, so shall I just ignore it, or take it to Mr. T.

I googled to check why engine load could be 100%, and came across many reason.

I also tried to unplug most of the sensors to see the difference, but nothing made much difference.

The only thing I am left is, to open the EGR and check the gasket, and will check the air hose again.

Thanks very much for your help.

If the car runs fine and you wouldn't have known about the 100% load reading without the software then i wouldn't take it as anything to worry about.

If the car runs badly and there is an obvious fault that a reading could point to then its worth getting it looked at.

Like most things on the internet, knowledge can be power, but it can also be problematic.