Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reprogramming Key Fob - 2006 4.3

genterz

Hi,

Our spare key fob has stopped working for some reason. There is still life in the Battery, but it just won't lock or unlock the doors remotely.

I have tried searching the web but can't seem to find any instructions on how to reprogramme the key for this model of Rav4.

Does anyone know if it can be done, or do I have to take it to a dealer?

Many thanks.

The information on about how to re-programme keys is the sort I'd hope isn't easily available on the web. About £40 IIRC for the dealer to re-programme a key.

I think genterz really means a "resync" process rather than reprogramming.

Have you actually tried changing the Battery or are you just going on the fact that the led is lighting?

We had the AA out this morning due to another problem but that it is all sorted now.

While the guy was here he asked for the spare key and checked both fob batteries - they were both showing as good voltage. The spare key was just not arming or dis-arming the remote central locking or alarm so he said it just needs re-programming.

I can find lots of info on the web for older Rav's but not our model. If it's anything like other cars it will be a sequence of about 10 steps, opening then shutting doors, turning on/off the igntion etc etc.

Try this:

1. Start with the key out of the ignition. Open the driver door (all other doors are closed). Driver door is unlocked (other doors don’t matter).

2. Perform these steps within 5 seconds

Insert the key into the ignition (don’t turn it) Pull key out

Insert the key into the ignition (don’t turn it) Pull key out

3. Perform these steps within 40 seconds

Close, then open the drivers door.

Insert the key into the ignition (don’t turn it) and pull it out.

4. Perform these steps within 40 seconds

Insert the key into the ignition and leave in the ignition.

Close the drivers door

Turn the ignition to ON (as far as you can go without cranking the engine), then back to off .

Remove the key from the ignition.

5. Within 3 seconds, the power door locks should lock then unlock automatically indicating successful entry into programming mode. Return to step 1 if the locks do not cycle at this point.

6. Perform these steps within 40 seconds

Press the lock and unlock buttons on the transmitter simultaneously for 1.5 seconds

Immediately after letting go of the lock and unlock buttons, press the lock button by itself and hold for 2 seconds. Within 3 seconds, the door locks should lock then unlock once indicating successful programming. Repeat for any additional transmitters. If the door locks cycle twice, repeat steps 6a and 6b as the remote was not accepted.

7. Open drivers door.