Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Project

S2Sosmart

Finally got around to starting my interior today :thumbsup:

Only going to be doing it as time / budget allows so please don't expect me to get the whole project done over the weekend or anything ;)

Most of the mileage that I do is on the motorway and the road noise is slowly beginning to grate slightly sooooooo...................looked around at various deadening products / searched forums for advise and slowly worked on a plan.

First strip out the back of the car and clean in preparation

DSC02571.jpg

Then work round the wheel well (?) up the sides and onto the arches

DSC02573.jpg

Next step will be to work around the rear bulkhead, remove the front seats / centre console and do the rest of the floorpan :yes: :yes: then onto the next product which is Closed Cell Foam (CCF) which should cut down the airborne noise. The silver stuff deadens the panels and reduces resonance in the metal :thumbsup: At this stage I don't actually need 100% coverage with the deadening although I will need it with the CCF.

Will keep you informed as to results / progress and should be able to get back on a little bit mid week next week :yahoo:

Si

• Like 1

We are all very curious after the final result, at least I am. Keep us posted with lots of pictures and I wish you all the luck...

Ruud

Moved on a little bit (The weather isn't really helping :crybaby: )

Took back the front carpet (After the seat was out, centre console loose, side rail taken off, fuel cap release removed) and found factory deadening in place (As shown in the second pic). Scrapped that off and cleaned up the the floor to make sure I get good adhesion. Check the the seat rails aren't going to be fouled. Then deadening applied:

DSC02574.jpg

So next job will be to remove this deadening, clean up and apply the front pieces

DSC02575-1.jpg

Weather permitting, front drivers side will be fully deadened and the foam stuck over the top tomorrow. :thumbsup: Then it's just a case of seeing if the carpet underlay that comes from the factory will fit back when the carpets down (If not then just have to wait and see what the sound is like on the road). Then onto the other side and repeat :yes: :yes:

Si

I drive mine nearly every day so it's just going to be 'as I go project'. It's a good way to wile away an hour or so a day for me anyways lol.

Once the back seats are out (6 bolts) all the pieces of trim simply unclip. It's just a case of removing what you need, do the deadening then pop everything back as you go. The back took about 2 hours and a good proportion of that was learning how to take the trim out !!

Si

Oh yea, just wondering do you have the funny 'd-d-d-d-d-d' noise coming somewhere from the back? The annoying sound appears quite random and sometimes I couldn't hear it a few days in a row.

I would have reassemble the parts if I know where exactly it comes from... But it is so hard to tell.

Not found anything so far in the strip down but to be fair I've never had any rattles so far either !!!

Si

So, finished the driver's side footwell (Before refitting the underlay stuff and carpet)

DSC02577.jpg

Then CCF'd under the driver's seat making sure to leave underneath the runners clear so as to ensure a proper fixing (Don't really want my seat coming off in the case of an unfortunate accident :thumbsup: )

DSC02578.jpg

Then finished up over the wheel arches with CCF before reapplying the factory 'heavy rubber' and the rear plastic trims

DSC02579.jpg

While I was there (And the weather was holding up) finished the passenger footwell completely as well. Just the under seat stuff to do (As soon as I can work out how all the plugs disconnect from under the passenger seat :huh: ) and then CCF the 'boot' (Under the rear seats) before putting my little car back together again :D ;)

Initial thoughts on what it's achieved so far are quite good. When driving through standing water it no longer sounds like I'm about to be hit by a wave ;) and general driving about the road noise does seem to have lessened a bit (Won't know fully how much until I can finish the outstanding bits and re-install everything. Then I'll try my decimeter test to see what results I've achieved B)

Si

• Like 2

You will probably want a noise level measuring device to check the difference in db inside your car before and after your project.

• Like 1

What materials are you using for the soundproofing and where did you get it from. I noticed that you were using polistyrene on the front footwell, will that not crack when pressure is put on it? and will you be able to fit the carpets back in the same position after you have underlayed the car

thanks

• Like 1

I'm using Silent coat products that i bought from Car Audio Direct (CAD) and I can't recommend them enough. Order stuff after work one day (About 3pm) and it normally arrives before midday the next day. Can't beat that IMHO.

The polystyrene is already under your carpets now !!!!!! Lol

The carpets fit back absolutely fine even with all the stuff underneath as well. The last of the stuff I need to finish has now turned up so results to follow.

Si

Did you use the Silent Coat Noise Isolator 4 and the Silent Coat Custom Sample Pack? how much do you need and what was your cost please, I think I will give it a go once you’re finished yours

I used the extra Bulk pack and a bulk pack of isolator 8. Thats done the complete floorpan from back door through to the firewall at the cost of about £128. Gone a bit overboard really but just need maybe 3 more sheets of isolator to finish completely.

Let you know the full results when I'm finished (Should be this week hopefully) and all the trims back in place. Then it'll probably be after Christmas when the next phase of my interior changes happen ;-)

Si

I note you used the Silent Coat Custom Sample for the boot, did you put the Silent Coat Noise Isolator 8 on top of the foil as i am not sure what you mean?

Yep. The foil faced stuff (Deadener) goes onto clean, bare metal (Not bare bare metal just the painted metal that you find under the carpet / underlay).

Then the isolator goes over the top.

The deadener should cover between 25-50% of the floorpan surface but the isolator needs to ideally cover 100%. The extra bulk pack actually covered nearly 100% as well though so I've probably gone overboard as I said. The isolator didn't quite go around but I'm working on that ATM ;-)

Si

Thanks for that, so in effect the foil sheet can cover all the metal and then put over it the 8 stuff, please explain what the foil stuff is for, i take it that both is needed for the full effect

Plese let me see pics of what you have done beforew you put back in your carpets

thanks

The foil stuff has a butyl mastic on the back (This is what sticks it to the panel) and together they act to 'deaden' the panel and stop it resonating (Which it will do due to the sound / vibration passing through it).

The CCF (Foam) then cuts down any airborne noise that transfers into the cabin.

I'll get pics up as I go with what's left to do and in the mean time I'll try and get some links up to better explain what I'm trying to achieve.

Si

• Like 1

Finally got to finish this stage of the project today.

DSC02580.jpg

That's the CCF applied throughout the rear / boot. As I had some spare deadener and CCF I went the whole hog and done the rear bulkhead as well :rolleyes: . Then it was just a case of refitting everything. First the side panels:

DSC02583.jpg

Then the breakdown kit tray and the 'hidden' draw:

DSC02581.jpg

DSC02582.jpg

As each piece was refitted it also served to 'pinch' the carpet in tighter (Remember there's a lot more stuff under the carpet than there used to be). Refitted the rear seats (Luckily a bit of forward planning had left all the bolt holes free for putting stuff back :thumbsup: ). And dropped in the rear storage bin. All refitted panels are now a 'snug' fit and there still are no rattles and no bits left over so I must have done something right :yahoo: :yahoo: .

Took the car out for a quick drive and it does appear to be quieter around town. Potholes don't seem so loud and driving at 40 sounds like a lot slower so I better watch myself with that ;) . Out on the bypass near me a 'quick' reading from my iPhone definately shows a difference. At 70mph on smooth tarmac pre-project between 80-85Db. Now reads somewhere between 70-75Db :D . Stereo doesn't have to be anywhere near as loud and talking can be a bit more civilised :)

The project still has a little way to go as next will be the doors. But that'll be next year when the weather tidies up at bit and funds allow. Hope this has helped somebody and as anything else changes I put up a post to let you peeps know how it's going

Si B)

• Like 1

@S2Sosmart

There is a need for the "freedom" of the airoutlets in the rearwall, if the airbag(s) exploding! But you have covered both!!!! :fireman2:

ok. Easily remedied. 1 sharp knife and a spare 15 minutes and it'll be sorted. Which holes do you mean though ??? The holes that I covered up definitely had nothing behind them which was obviously supposed to be left free..............please enlighten me :huh::yes:

Si

• Like 1

Remove the rear numberplate and you will find / you can see two (one left/ one right) black rubber ovals behind the bumper if you look through the hole. These parts open (and not all the time they close) if there is an overpressure in the cabin (slam the door / airbags enflating, ...).

The air must go out along the ripps / grill in the rear plastic inside the car above the very small baggagebowl (dont know the right word); there are FIVE :o big holes.

Have a look and then open enough space in your well done deadener. Thats bad because NOW the noise can enter again!

If you go highspeed and your airstream from the ventilation/AC is strong than these rubbers are not closed and you can hear the "sound" from behind! :mad2:

• Like 1

Very nicely done S2Sosmart, you've got me insprired! I'm not sure where to find the time, but I'm eager to start. Of course LALA is right, you need to open up something for the overpressure inside the cabbin, Otherwise it will also hurt your ears, you can probably feel it now when you slam the door. Other than that, a splendid job!

Regards,

Ruud

• Like 1

Right. Taken a stanley knife to the sound deadening (It ain't pretty but it's done the job). When I get some time I'll try and find somebody who can make inserts to cover up the rough edges (I know they won't be seen but I'll know that they're there :unsure: )

DSC02584.jpg

Car's all back together again :thumbsup: . Thanks for the input LALA and Ruud, it's partly from seeing your posts on your 'on-going' project jobs that got me started down this road so thank you ;)

Si

P.S. Any questions along the way for how to disassemble your car :huh: drop me a line and we'll see what we can work out :yes: :yes: :D

• Like 1