Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil Consumpion

richteex

hello all

my 2.2d is burning about 1 litre of oil to every 7000 miles........... is this normal on the d4d engines. I cant ever remember using so much oil in my previous cars and wander if there is inherent fault somewhere. No leaks and ive done about 65000 miles. just over 3 years old.

Rich

hello all

my 2.2d is burning about 1 litre of oil to every 7000 miles........... is this normal on the d4d engines. I cant ever remember using so much oil in my previous cars and wander if there is inherent fault somewhere. No leaks and ive done about 65000 miles. just over 3 years old.

Rich

Hi Rich, yes that's better than normal if you were to ask Toyota but I would ask you one thing, has this started recently or has it always been using oil at that rate? Normally a new engine will use a little oil then after the piston rings have bedded in to the cylinder block bores it uses less oil.

I don't think you have any worries at present but do check the levels every week, especially the water level as this is more of a concern with this engine.

Regards Pete.

I got mt 2 litre d4d new in March 2009, it has now done 66k miles and it doesn't appear to use any oil. It is serviced every 10k miles.

One interesting point is that it went to a non Toyota garage for the 50k service, they didn't reset the oil service indicator, it started showing a message on the dashboard reminding me an oil change was due at 19.5k miles after the 40k service at a Toyota garage when the oil service indicator was reset. Does anybody know how the oil service indicator logic works, does it work on the number of engine starts?

I got mt 2 litre d4d new in March 2009, it has now done 66k miles and it doesn't appear to use any oil. It is serviced every 10k miles.

One interesting point is that it went to a non Toyota garage for the 50k service, they didn't reset the oil service indicator, it started showing a message on the dashboard reminding me an oil change was due at 19.5k miles after the 40k service at a Toyota garage when the oil service indicator was reset. Does anybody know how the oil service indicator logic works, does it work on the number of engine starts?

The total mileage of the car will be stored in the cars ecu and so after the resetting of the oil service indicator at say 40k miles this will trigger the oil service light 19.5k miles later (59.5k) from it's memory giving you 500 miles prior warning of the oil change due date at 60k if this is what the manufacturer of the car recommends.

This is a bonus of the digital age today when you think not long ago the old analog speedometers where used just to record mileage. This is just a very small part of what the onboard computers do on the cars of today, telling you your oil change is due is nothing to this piece of kit.

Regards Pete.

Hi Pete.

Thanks for the reply on oil change intervals on the ECU.

The manual for my Avensis states oil changes due at 10,000 mile intervals and Toyota recommends oil change intervals of 10,000 miles also. That's why it puzzles me that the ECU is triggering an oil change warning at 19.5k miles (why not then 9.5k miles).

My question is if as a high mileage driver, 40k miles per year, is it really necessary to change the oil at 10,000 mile intervals, if a decent synthetic oil is used could the oil change interval be stretched to 20,000 miles? But on the other side of the coin, turbos are complicates pieces of kit and saving a few pounds is insignificant compared to the cost of replacing a turbo.

Regards.

Rob.