Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Starting My Yaris Tr

rexleroy

i this is my first post on the forum

my question is what is the correct way to start the tr yaris.i have had the car one month.the salesman said depress your clutch and start the car.

i was having trouble starting sometimes it would start first go but on other occasions it could take three or four times.i took the car back to toyota. the head of servicing said to start you must turn on the ignition first then depress the clutch to start is this correct it still does not start every time .yours rexleroy

In my Auris 133TR, I turn the ignition on to the accessory stage, depress the clutch pedal and whilst keeping the clutch pedal depressed, turn the ignition to operate the starter motor. Have experienced no problems in the 13 months of ownership.

As the Yaris uses the same engine, gearbox and stop/start technology, the same process should apply.

I would ask them to check the clutch pedal switch. Our 1.33 tr has never had an issue. I always fully depress the clutch before turning the key at all

I can't see it makes any difference whichever way around you do this. Both are simply electrical switches and until both switches are closed, (the clutch is down and the key is turned) the starter motor won't work.

Once the starter motor is operating, how quickly the engine then catches is a different thing altogether.

If its taking several attempts to start, something is not right..... Ordinarily these engines start quickly, first time, every time....

You say you have difficulty starting but maybe it's important to know what exactly happens when it won't start. When you turn the key does nothing happen at all? Or do you hear the starter motor trying to start the car but the engine won't fully start?

If it's the former then the few times that's happened to me it's always a matter of thinking I've got the clutch pedal fully down but there's always an extra inch travel that I haven't used. Making sure that the clutch pedal is fully down and mine will always start.

If it's the latter then I've had two incidents in 2 and a half years of the car trying but not turning over the first time. I've posted about it in the past but can't find the thread. In both times it's been after the car has been left for the best part of a week without being used and in periods of damp & cold weather. This behaviour was concerning with a new car but it has only done it twice, has started after a few attempts, and (touch wood) hasn't happened for about a year.

Regarding turning the key before pressing the clutch, it's not something I've ever done, so in mine (2009 model) it is definitely not necessary. As with FrostyBalls I'd normally stop the key at the Acc stage for a moment to get the dash lights, radio etc before moving on to the start stage. I don't think I'd often go straight through from nothing to fully started, but the very first thing I do is definitely put the clutch down.

Hope this helps,

Mick G

I always depress the clutch, put the key in and then turn on. Some say it doesn't make a difference and other say that it saves the starter motor. I just do it to be on the safe side and it can't do any harm!

If you're on a slope or it's cold, it's worth turning the ignition to the 2nd stop and wait for the oil light to go out; This gives the fuel pump a chance to run up to full pressure and should ensure a smooth start.

Pushing the clutch in unloads the engine which can also help it start easier.

In a diesel car, I often click the ignition on and off a couple times to get the glowplugs to do their job better before starting.

If you're on a slope or it's cold, it's worth turning the ignition to the 2nd stop and wait for the oil light to go out; This gives the fuel pump a chance to run up to full pressure and should ensure a smooth start.

Pushing the clutch in unloads the engine which can also help it start easier.

In a diesel car, I often click the ignition on and off a couple times to get the glowplugs to do their job better before starting.

The oil light wont go out until the engine is running.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links