Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Service.....is This Their Way Of Working?

sanghyo

Hi there,

I got my Avensis (2003) broken down and went to a local garage. After some hours, they think it's ECU problem so I'm advised to go to Toyota service (Jemca). I explained the Toyota guy that my local garage told me that it's ECU problem.

But, the Toyota guy doesn't care and says they need their own investigation and cost me about 140 poundper hour... they called me a couple of times saying that it's ignition problem but not sure... next day they called me it's Fuse box problem but not sure .... and then told me they need about 5 hours to further investigation and cost 700 pound..

After a couple of days, they say it's ECU problem and I need to replace it. That's exactly my local garage guy told me. And finally all cost me about 2,000 pound. I'm totally ****** off with Toyota service (Jemca). Even I cannot trust Toyota anymore...

is this common way of what they're doing or is the Jemca in A3 a sort of cowboy garage?

Thanks

K

is this common way of what they're doing or is the Jemca in A3 a sort of cowboy garage?

Thanks

K

I would say it is common practice taken to an extreme level.

I can understand why they would want to make their own diagnosis. If they fitted an ECU and it was NOT the problem you would not be happy would you?

You should speak to the service manager and see if you can come to a fixed price arrangement with them. I suspect that the price of an ECU will be very expensive and repairs will exceed the value of the car. You should sit down with your dealer and discuss the options. An ECU just failing is VERY unusual

Kingo :thumbsup:

Oh dear....

I had a problem with A3 Jemca myself some years ago. Headlight bulb blew, so popped in to them on way home. Asked if they could change a bulb for me, told no problem, wont be a minute etc. My hands are too big to do it myself otherwise.....

They promptly had my car up on a ramp, Battery disconnected, 45 minutes later, all done. All without telling me they were going to do this. I questioned them about halfway through having caught site of it through a window into the service area, and they said they had to "run their own checks", and changing a bulb takes a long time! I went apoplectic at them in the service area. Basically said I had to pay nearly an hours worth of labour to get my car back!

I never darkened their door again. Avoid them like the plague. Sorry you had to learn the hard way. I gladly went to Curries Twickenham and have bought 2 Avensis from them over the years. Brilliant service from them everytime.

Shame as my house was literally 500 yards from Jemca.

Best speak to Service Manager as advised before.

Good luck.

Conversely, but on the subject of servicing - I booked my 07 car in for a 40K service at Westlands Toyota at Callow, about 2 miles south of Hereford on the A49, and was quoted £225 in advance, over the phone. When I took the car in I additionally asked them to attend to a noisy handbrake lever, which 2 different Toyota dealers had previously been unsuccessful at curing.

When I collected the car later the very pleasant service advisor told me that they had solved the noisy handbrake but had had to remove the centre console to do so. I braced myself for the bill, and was totally gobsmacked when she said £219 - 6 quid cheaper than quoted and with additional work done. I almost said 'but thats not enough', almost - but not quite.

Out of the way for most folk I know, but happily recommend Westlands. Labour charge there was £75 per hour (and they cleaned the car too).

To sanghyo.

We have two family cars purchased from Jemca NW9 under the old Japanese management, they wheir Toyota/Lexus at the time,they couldn't do enough for you. Now they are under new management or i should say they have been for some time, just sell Toyota (reason unknown) now, had a mjor problem with them some years back. Very simple, take your business elsewhere. Do a dealer search for Watford/Rickmansworth area, a very good Toyota dealer should come up.They do a proper service, not just spraying white greese on your hinges & not putting air in your tyres like above dealer.

Regards, Beagh.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links